Feather Fletchings

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Feather Fletchings

Postby Sir Anastasia » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:09 pm

Chaos Wars had a policy of failing all feather fletchings this year due to safety hazards (possible eye risk from feather fletchings vs. synthetics). Though they said this was was true previous years, but I can attest that it was not always so, nor is it specified in the BOW. Here are my thoughts:

1) What areas have this policy?
2) Is there a valid safety concern?
3) If this is actually a widespread policy then it needs to be explicit in the BOW. We aren't living in the days when all precedents can just be unwritten. At some point it is a safety concern that all people aren't on the same page. After I get more info here, I can place a separate post for BOW changes or whatnot if necessary.

Thanks all!
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Re: Feather Fletchings

Postby Cyric » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:27 am

There is no such policy that i'm aware of here. I don't think its a valid safety concern either. Taking any fletching to the eye is dangerous, regardless of if they are feather or plastic. It wasn't true at Chaos last year, or if it was they didn't tell me when i helped with arrow check all week. I haven't seen this at any other event i've ever been to. Nor does it say anything about it in the book of war, beyond Weapon Checker Discretion.

Chaos wars has a well-earned reputation for having a strict arrow check, but this is going too far.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Re: Feather Fletchings

Postby Reverend » Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:22 am

It has now happened twice that I know of.

Chaos 11 also banned feather fletchings. Outside of that time (and apparently this year), I have not experienced feather fletchings being banned at any event.

The reasoning I was told behind the Chaos 11 ban was because they could slice the eye open if you caught a fletching in the eye.

Like Cyric said, catching any fletching to the eye is going to be problematic. If feather fletchings have a greater potential for damage over duct/electrical tape, plastic, etc., I couldn't answer but I personally don't have any greater fear of them.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Return to Rules Questions