Non-stabbing double-ended weapons?

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Non-stabbing double-ended weapons?

Postby Soron » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:14 pm

A question about double-ended weapons that came up at our first practice yesterday. The rules as written (1.4.6.2) say that both ends "must follow Class 3 Weapon standards" for the weapon to be legal. The way I'm reading that, it basically says that double-ended weapons have to pass hit tests for stabbing as well as hacking (which is a unique requirement among weapon classes).

So, assuming I'm interpreting that correctly, what's the rationale for that?

In our case, we had someone build a taiaha (Māori spear-staff hybrid), with only the bladed end intended for stabbing. I allowed it on the field as an experimental weapon, on the grounds that (a) it was sufficiently asymmetric that I don't expect anyone who knew what it was meant for would stab with the mace-type end, and (b) even when there were technical departures from 1.4.6.2, there was still enough padding that I wasn't worried about safety (the "non-stabbing" end was actually pretty blunt; and the blade was also non-cylindrical, but the flat had enough give that it hurt less than the striking surface).

But, I also acknowledge that compared to the community as a whole, I don't have much experience. So, are there any non-obvious reasons why a double-ended weapon needs to be more stab-safe than, say, a sword or a glaive? Or is the wording of 1.4.6.2 partly because the rules were written with an assumption that quarterstaves are the only form of double-ended weapon that someone would make?

EDIT BECAUSE CAN'T REPLY: ah, so the chain of reasoning went: flat blades twist around too much -> both ends must be cylindrical (or near enough) -> too hard to distinguish the two ends -> just make them both stabbing, dammit. Right? Cool, that's a satisfying answer, thanks :).
Last edited by Soron on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Trained in Salamandastron, living in New Zealand. Awash in a sea of low-impact foam fighters, it seems.
Soron
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 27 Sep 2009
Realm: Salamandastron
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board

Re: Non-stabbing double-ended weapons?

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:00 am

1.4.6. Double-ended Weapons must conform to all of the following:
1.4.6.1. Double-ended Weapons must not be more than 7 feet long.
1.4.6.2. Double-ended Weapons must have a minimum of 18 inches in length of padding covering each end in a cylindrical fashion. Both striking surfaces of this weapon must follow Class 3 Weapon standards for a Double-ended Weapon to be legal.
1.4.6.3. Regardless of length, a Double-ended Weapon is a Class 1 Weapon when swung and Class 3 when thrust.

The rules require that both ends of a double-ended weapon be stabbing because, by the rules governing double-ended weapons, both ends must be covered in at least 18 inches of cylindrical padding. Thus, a weapon built by the proper specifications would be identical on both ends, so both ends must be built the same. Thus the need for both ends to be stabbing.

The reason that both ends must be cylindrical is because with two ends of the weapon being swung around, there was too much confusion about whether or not the blade turned flat, so it created a playability issue.

Please edit your original post if you have further questions.

-Thurat-
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Rules Questions