Question on Wood Handles

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Question on Wood Handles

Postby Reverend » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:36 pm

This came up at Battle for the Ring and I made a judgement call based on my experience in the past, but wanted to run it by you solid folks as well.

Appendix A
1.3.8. All handles of wood Weapons must be taped, including bamboo and rattan.

The particular incident is that there were some red and blue weapons that were built with wooden handles. They failed at weapon check due to the handle not being taped.

However, after speaking with the person who built these weapons, it appears that they are built on fiberglass with an after-market wooden handle.

Does this fact in construction change the requirement of 1.3.8 in your mind?

My understanding (what I was told and what I've seen in practice) is that it is the exposed wood that is supposed to be taped regardless of the exact core. Is this your experience as well? Does this rule need to be modified to be clearer?
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Re: Question on Wood Handles

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:59 pm

The spirit of the rule is to prevent damages from splintered wooden cores. Wooden cores tend to break where foam ends, and the tape is supposed to prevent dangerous splintering. With these types of handles, the risk for splintering exists, but no more than an old hammer handle would have, compared to a broken length of bamboo. I can't see where the appropriate pressure and leverage could be applied to make one of these any more dangerous than the back of a shield.

That all being said, I don't feel that this rule applies to these types of handles.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Cyric » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:19 pm

There was a sword like this a few years ago at a wolfpack opener. Fiberglass core, wood overlay handle. we said it was fine. The rule applies to cores, not handles.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Reverend » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:03 pm

Cyric wrote:There was a sword like this a few years ago at a wolfpack opener. Fiberglass core, wood overlay handle. we said it was fine. The rule applies to cores, not handles.

Not arguing, just seeking further clarification, if the rule applies to cores not handles, what is the purpose of having the handle taped? Shouldn't it be "all wood cores must be taped" instead?
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Cyric » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:58 pm

yes, it probably should be worded that way, but wording isn't really the BoW's strong point.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Return to Rules Questions