Target Areas

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Target Areas

Postby Korbin the Mad » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:07 pm

I contemplating making a lamellar war skirt to protect my thighs in addition to my greaves protecting my shins. I always thought that separate pieces of armor that covered separate parts of a target area were counted separately, such as pauldrons counting separately from bracers. However, looking at the rules:

3.1. Target Area Definitions:
3.1.1. Body - Area bounded by the base of neck (inclusive), shoulder-arm joint (inclusive), hip-leg socket (inclusive), groin, and buttocks (inclusive).
3.1.2. Arm(s) - Area bounded by the wrist (inclusive) and the shoulder-arm joint (exclusive).
3.1.3. Leg(s) - Area bounded by the ankle (inclusive) and hip-leg socket (exclusive).
3.1.4. Head - Area above the base of neck (exclusive).
3.1.5. Hand(s) - Area below the wrist (exclusive). An empty Hand is a legal Target Area. Any Injury to the Hand is considered Injury to the Arm. A Hand on a Weapon or Shield is considered part of that Weapon or Shield.
3.1.6. Feet . Area below the ankle (exclusive). A Foot is a legal Target Area if it is off the ground. Any Injury to the Foot is considered Injury to the Leg.

3.3.1. Armor confers one additional hit to the Target Area covered by the Armor. Multiple pieces of Armor on the same Target Area only confer a single hit. A single piece of Armor covering multiple areas confer a hit on each Target Area covered.
3.3.2. Armor only protects areas covered.
3.3.3. Armor must be of a size to cover a significant portion (approximately one-third) of a Target Area. Armor extending continuously from another Target Area is not required to significantly cover neighboring Target Areas to count as Armor.
3.3.4. Weapons that strike both Armored and unarmored Target Areas are considered to have hit the unarmored Target Area.
3.3.5. The presence of Armor must be easily discernable to count as Armor.

So if I get hit in the right bracer (forearm), is the pauldron (shoulder/bicep) broken too? If I get hit in the left greave (shin), is my war skirt (thighs) broken as well?
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad|House Dunamai
Mad Lord of House Dunamai and the Madlands
Usufructary of Ancilla Ignis
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-10-2003
Realm: Arnor
Unit: House Dunamai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Spear
Archery

Re: Target Areas

Postby Derian » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:15 pm

Yes.

It's easier to think of it in different terms. Rather than thinking of it as armor breaking, think of it as armor absorbing half damage. For example, you have a bracer and a pauldron on your arm and take a hit to the bracer. Half the damage is absorbed by the bracer, and the other half by your arm. Your arm isn't disabled, but another shot (whether to the bracer or to the pauldron) will deal enough damage to disable it.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Reverend » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:30 pm

Much like Derian said, armor protects a target area.

Your bracers and pauldrons protect the arm [target area] and torso [target area]. If you get hit in the bracer, your arm [target area] has now taken .5 points of damage as the bracer absorbs one-half of the damage that would be dealt to the arm [target area].

Continuing the hypothetical combat, you then get struck in the pauldron on your bicep. The bicep, being part of the arm [target area] and not a target area of its own, would then take .5 points of damage. You have now lost the arm.

Further into the fight, I throw a shoulder chop and hit you in the pauldron between your shoulder joint and your neck. The pauldron makes it so that your torso [target area] takes .5 points of damage. You are still alive and your pauldrons are still there. I throw the same shoulder chop and hit you in the same location. You are now dead because your pauldron absorbs half of the damage I swung for and your torso [target area] has now taken 1 point of damage.

Armor never breaks, it simply mitigates the damage that is done to the target area that it covers. This is why you can be hit in the torso armor, call armor, and then someone runs up and stabs you one-handed and you get to giggle and call armor at them.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Derian » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Definitely read Rev's explanation and skip over mine. His is much better.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to Rules Questions