Weapon pinning/control

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Weapon pinning/control

Postby Evauk » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:14 pm

So I spent the last several hours reading numerous threads and posts trying to find an answer, so here we go to just asking, as always, forgive me if it is somewhere and I failed to find it, I promise I searched for answers.
---

I should make a video to make this easier to understand, but here we go:

New to grappling, weapon grabbing, etc. So I naturally have a few questions. I went to my first Belegarth practice, used a punch shield (12" or so) and a short sword. My prior experience did me well going against a polearm(spear/whatever) that was about 7' I think. But previously, pinning a weapon in any way was not allowed, which in some groups people didn't mind, but I wanted to be safe here before someone throws me in a fire.

Tactic 1: I approach, they keep the end low to the ground and go for a leg shot, I drop my shield and pin the pole to the ground and run up it. Is this allowed?

Tactic 2: Same thing, he has it low, goes for jab (though it could be anywhere) and I turn to catch it with the shield and my own weapon and pull it from their hands. A danger here is the desire to do a full turn, as you would disarm them completely but could break a weapon or cause them harm, if not to you as well.

Tactic 3: using your body in same scenario, but if they jab and you turn enough to drop a foot or knee onto their weapon. Not the point or 'blade' but just past that. Some ends I have encountered only have a couple feet of hitting zone, so it wouldn't be grabbing an enemy blade or making contact with it, but it again is risky for several reasons I am sure you can think of.

So those tactics, all or none allowed? This is not just for polearms of any size, but swords and 'catching' them with your shield and sword to disarm an opponent. Though if done quickly, I have (not in Bel) turned enough to catch a sword, check myself into their shield and get them to fall, which from what I can tell as long as the armor requirements are being followed, is ok? At least to the point of shield checking them...

---

Next clarification I am seeking:

Read a good deal on a shield charging and tactics for it, but I know shield kicking is allowed (as long as its not on their back and such) and was curious, if someone comes charging, though I would likely regret it, am I allowed to kick-stop them? They charge, I basically Spartan kick them? I hate to describe it that way, but it fits. Is this allowed?

Another questions on it, if they are close and we are going 1v1 and I see the chance or make the opportunity happen, I can kick a standing shield user at close range right? A while back someone I was asking questions to said only a shield on the ground can be kicked? But I have seen vids of standing kicks done... So again, being safe vs sorry here.

--

From what I understand as well, shield bashing or checking, and the grappling that may ensue... If I hook my shield around the opponent and stay in close, is that a grapple? I open myself up for a bit of pain doing it, but it can be used to disarm a shield (ie: strapless) from them. As long as I am not directly bashing in their face and such, is this ok?

--

So there we go. I know I had a few other things that came to mind, but again, I have been reading the boards non-stop today since I woke up, preparing for a practice meet today.

(hoping this is everything, just had like 5 power trips and thankfully firefox saved me from typing this all again, but hoping it is all here, hitting submit for another surge!)
Do not fear, for fear is the mind killer.

Your size does not matter, your sword does not matter. It all depends on your state of mind. Think you will win? Prove it.

+~+ Heathen Heart ~ Pagan Pride +~+
Evauk
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2003
Realm: Aquilonia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n board

Re: Weapon pinning/control

Postby Cyric » Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:47 pm

First of all, you should never do something that could potentially injure an opponent or damage someone's weapon. Don't be stupid, and don't be a *.

Anyway, on to your points:

Tactic 1: yes, that's fine. don't literally run up someone's pole.

Tactic 2: from your description, that should be fine.

Tactic 3: borderline. if you are doing it on haft padding it should be ok. don't jump down on people's weapons.

The chances of you successfully disarming someone safely and living through it are low. You can try if you want, but killing someone is infinitely easier than trying to disarm them.
---

Read a good deal on a shield charging and tactics for it, but I know shield kicking is allowed (as long as its not on their back and such) and was curious, if someone comes charging, though I would likely regret it, am I allowed to kick-stop them? They charge, I basically Spartan kick them? I hate to describe it that way, but it fits. Is this allowed?

Yes, that's fine. Don't kick someone in the chest/stomach.

Another questions on it, if they are close and we are going 1v1 and I see the chance or make the opportunity happen, I can kick a standing shield user at close range right? A while back someone I was asking questions to said only a shield on the ground can be kicked? But I have seen vids of standing kicks done... So again, being safe vs sorry here.

You can. Again, it's situation. Sometimes its a good way to lose a leg.

--

From what I understand as well, shield bashing or checking, and the grappling that may ensue... If I hook my shield around the opponent and stay in close, is that a grapple? I open myself up for a bit of pain doing it, but it can be used to disarm a shield (ie: strapless) from them. As long as I am not directly bashing in their face and such, is this ok?

Hooking someone's body with your shield is grappling. Grabbing a person's equipment is not grappling. However, mid fight it could be construed as consent to grapple. Again, trying to disarm someone is a waste of time.

If you have any other questions, edit your original post.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Re: Weapon pinning/control

Postby Brutus » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:42 am

One thing new people have a hard time getting is how fast combat is in our sport. Our weapons are much lighter than real weapons, and you don't have to swing with the same mechanics you would need to cut someone's leg/arm/etc. off in real life. The result is that attacks are lightning fast. This is an offense-based game, for sure.

The result of this is that things that would be effective in real combat just get you killed more often than not in the game. But, I do encourage you to work on shield kicks and shield bashes. That stuff is fun. And not that long ago, two-handed weapons were considered by many to be completely useless, but it just took some people making a real concerted attempt at learning how to use them right within the context of our game for them to become mainstream. Of course, new core/building technology helped out as well.

As Cyric said, the guiding principle behind all of these things is that you shouldn't be stupid about it. Respect other people (don't hurt them) and their equipment (don't break it) and you'll be in great shape.
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Return to Rules Questions