What is intended by the term "solid strikes"?

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

What is intended by the term "solid strikes"?

Postby Petruchio » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:41 am

I have a question about the rule in relation to "red" or Class 2 weapons breaking shields (3.5.1) and how that is normally interpreted. As a newb to the way of the Red, I am trying to properly understand the rules and this is one I am having a hard time with. It is ultimately at the discretion of my opponent to determine if my shots landed with sufficient force, but how does that relate to to red weapons and shield. My question is as follows;

Does/should the shield breaking shot be harder or more powerful than a shot you would take as a sufficient force blow from any other weapon? Or, do I have to hit your shield harder than I would have hit you for you to take it as a strike?

Thanks.
Petruchio
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 10 Apr 2002
Realm: The Sword Coast
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Short/Blue
Greatsword/Red

Re: What is intended by the term "solid strikes"?

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:00 am

Due to the very padded nature of shields, you will need to hit them harder for the wielder to fully feel the hit, and acknowledge it as shield-breaking. This doesn't need to be excessive, but if you're hitting at the low end of what would be considered significant force for a shot to a player, you'll likely find your shots being disregarded. Solid, as it is used in the BoW, does not mean that you must connect with X-amount of the shield for it to count, but glancing shots, such as those to the rim, are not really solid shots, and you'll find that these are usually not felt as much by the wielder and are less likely to move the shield, so they may be less consistent in being accepted as shield-breaking. Aim to place shots that can be felt through the shield and have the potential to move it around a bit, and you should be fine.

If I did not sufficiently answer you question, please edit your original post.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Re: What is intended by the term "solid strikes"?

Postby Derian » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:23 pm

Yes, generally speaking, valid 'red' shots should be percieved as heavier shots by the defender. They don't necessarily need to be heavier, but they should feel like it.

Overall, I would advise that you swing as hard as is safe while maintaining control over your weapon.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to Rules Questions