Too much flex?

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Too much flex?

Postby Nexus » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:51 pm

I have a 6ft skirmishing glaive (2ft blade, 2ft padding,2ft handle) made out of 3/4in PVC with a wood dowel that fits relatively snugly in the center to help alleviate flex.
We thought it was okay when checking weapons, but after I saw this picture that a friend took...I'm not so sure. I figured I should come to the forums to ask since I don't have a well established realm nearby to get their opinion in person.
So...too much flex? Is it just the camera shutter speed making it look worse than it is, or the angle that it was taken at? Thoughts?

Nexus
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2011
Realm: Uberwald
Favorite Fighting Styles: spear
glaive
terrible puns

Re: Too much flex?

Postby Derian » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:50 pm

I can't say for certain from the picture, but it is definitely something that would warrant a second look. My gut tells me this is over 45 degrees, so it likely wouldn't fly at an interrealm event.

That said, for local practices, you can feel free to bend the rules a little bit. Flex is more of a playability issue than a safety one. Keep a close eye out, though, because that core is going to snap sooner rather than later.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Re: Too much flex?

Postby Sir Thurat » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:32 am

Given the core, you very likely are overflexing, and your weapon will eventually break, but bear is mind that digital cameras capture in a way that exaggerates flex. I don't know the physics behind it, but it has been discussed in the boards before.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Rules Questions