A question on nobility

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

A question on nobility

Postby Epitaph » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:49 am

Nowhere in the BOW does it mention any societal structures of realms or how they should be governed. I come from amtgard where there is a hiearchy of nobility and knighthoods, etc.

Is there such a thing in Belegarth as a noble title? If so who is allowed to name them?

I see that there are kingdoms but their purpose confuses me. Could someone give me a rundown of that?

Are there knights in Bel?
Epitaph
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: A question on nobility

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:45 am

The social structures of Belegarth are not legislated in any way beyond defining realms and their classifications (fledgling/speaking/voting). "Realm" is the official term to describe a group that exists within a geographical area, but realms may name themselves in any way they see fit. Thus, you have realms such as the Kingdom of Knightfall, which was not in any way an actual kingdom. How those realms are governed is also up to them. Some choose a dictatorship, some choose a larger legislative body, some have simply president, vice-president, secretary/treasurer officer positions, and so forth; as long as they are using the Belegarth Book of War and are not misrepresenting the organisation, how they conduct their realm is their choice.

Knights do exist in Belegarth, and in fact knighthood is really the only social structure that is regulated by the community (again, not by the rule set). In Belegarth, knighthood is taken seriously, and those with the title of "Sir" or "Dame" are expected to have squired to a knight of good standing and earned the title, and are expected to be of a higher caliber of Belgrim, both as fighters and as contributors to the community. Claiming knighthood without having put in the work and effort needed to truly back up the name is considered disrespectful in Belegarth culture.

Other social structures that are more loosely defined are houses and units. Typically, a house is a group of people who come together to focus on a common goal that may or may not be related to fighting. Units are groups of people whose goal is typically to train together as fighters, and learn to work as a cohesive group on the field. However, not all houses or units strictly adhere to those definitions, and the ways in which their members are involved changes from group to group, so there isn't a handbook or anything that says "this is what a unit does and does not do", and so forth.

I hope that answers your questions. If not, please edit your original post.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Rules Questions