Omni Blade "Glaive" with Butt-spike

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Omni Blade "Glaive" with Butt-spike

Postby Epitaph » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:37 am

I looked all over the BOW and did a search function on here and found nothing...

Can I make an omni blade polearm (call it what you will) that's double ended, BUT the bottom end has a smaller striking surface (say 6") That I would use to stab only, so long as I kept the padding (and from what I see in the BOW, "padding" can mean non-strike legal surface) going for 18" on both the slashing side and the stabbing butt-spike?

Rules cited:

1.3.1. All striking surfaces of Weapons must be padded adequately to prevent personal injury when striking an opponent with full force
on that surface.
1.3.2. All non-striking surfaces must be padded adequately to prevent personal injury from incidental contact.

1.4.6.2. Double-ended Weapons must have a minimum of 18 inches in length of padding covering each end in a cylindrical fashion.
Both striking surfaces of this weapon must follow Class 3 Weapon standards for a Double-ended Weapon to be legal.

Or is my idea out the window because its a butt-spike and not "exactly" a medieval staff?
1.1.7. Double-ended Weapon – A Weapon "approximating" a medieval staff. (emphasis mine)
Epitaph
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Re: Omni Blade "Glaive" with Butt-spike

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:39 am

Though not explicitly stated, it is general practice and implied by the direction that a double-ended weapon must approximate a quarter staff that the padding on both ends must be strike-legal. Additionally, as you noted, double-ended weapons must have at least 18" of padding, so 6" would not be adequate. Finally, quarter staves are always considered to be blue weapons, regardless of length.

So, in essence, it is not possible to make a red omniglaive with a legal rear striking surface.

If that doesn't answer your question, please edit your original post.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Rules Questions