Weapon with no striking surface

Straight Answers From Knowledgeable People

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Weapon with no striking surface

Postby Akroth » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Out of sheer curiosity...

Can a padded pole (Such as the horde flag) be used for blocking?

Can I build a class 1 weapon with no striking surface and no stabbing tip (All haft padding) and use it for blocking?

There doesn't appear to be any stipulation that requires a weapon to have a striking surface, as "handle length" only refers to the unpadded portion below the start of the haft padding:

1.4.1. Class 1 – All Class 1 Weapons must conform to the following, as applicable:

1.4.1.1. A Class 1 Weapon under twenty-four (24) inches (60 cm) in length has no weight minimum.
1.4.1.2. A Class 1 Weapon twenty-four (24) inches (60 cm) in length or longer must weigh a minimum of twelve (12) ounces (350 g).
1.4.1.3. With the exception of double-ended weapons, a Class 1 Weapon must be shorter than forty-eight (48) inches (120 cm).
1.4.1.4. The maximum handle length for a Class 1 Weapon is twelve (12) inches (30.5 cm) or one-third (1/3) of the overall length, whichever is greater. This cannot exceed one-half (1/2) of the overall length.
1.4.1.5. The minimum overall length of a Class 1 is 12 inches (30 cm) plus the length of the handle and pommel.
Ranting about the BoW so you don't have to.
More rants here: http://board.belegarth.com/viewforum.php?f=66
Akroth
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 19 Apr 2009
Realm: Thunder Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, spear

Re: Weapon with no striking surface

Postby Reverend » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:30 pm

My gut says no as a flag is not combat or defensive equipment.

I think it would fall under decorations, sheaths, etc.

I'd have to check how that is specifically worded in the new BoW, though.

You /might/ be able to make a case for defensive equipment, but that's an argument I wouldn't personally be willing to make.

Edited to add: I'll give a more solid/certain answer when I'm not on mobile.
Oderint Dum Metuant
Reverend
Slayer
Slayer

Return to Rules Questions