Stabbing Tips

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Stabbing Tips

Postby Arsteel » Thu May 10, 2018 4:48 pm

I'm in the middle of nowhere relative to Belegarth and don't have much when it comes in the way of assistance in foamsmithing. I just play with friends casually and they use PVC + Pool Noodle + Duct Tape swords, so this doesn't need to be exactly perfect.

I was wondering if I could get some insight on the construction of stabbing tips. I've built a half dozen blue foam swords, and was looking at adding stabbing tips. I noticed that the internet suggests ensolite as the foam of choice. I've just got two questions:

1.) Is it possible to use regular blue foam to create a stabbing tip instead? Once again, we're not playing with Belegarth construction rules (although I've stuck to them thus far) so I just really need to know if it's reasonable.

2.) Where would I go to buy ensolite?
Arsteel
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2016
Realm: None
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Still new, so none.

Re: Stabbing Tips

Postby Akroth » Thu May 17, 2018 1:03 pm

Start here:
Constructing a Blue Sword
Constructing a Club

Arsteel wrote:1.) Is it possible to use regular blue foam to create a stabbing tip instead? Once again, we're not playing with Belegarth construction rules (although I've stuck to them thus far) so I just really need to know if it's reasonable.

Doesn't pass Belegarth rules and definitely wouldn't pass at national event. Nor would pool noodle + duct tape + PVC swords. Are you following the Belegarth ruleset for combat? If you're playing that any contact counts, blue foam will be fine. But if you're swinging and stabbing with a reasonable amount of force, that's going to be painful and potentially dangerous.

Make sure to attach caps on the ends of your PVC or you're going to go straight through your foam when stabbing/striking. Lots of potential for injury there.

Arsteel wrote:2.) Where would I go to buy ensolite?

Not sure if it's Ensolite, but Yoga Mats are a common material used to make stabbing tips. They hold up pretty well, and a $20 yoga mat from Wal Mart should be enough for all your weapon-making for quite a long time.

Where are you located? Have you had a chance to fight with more experienced people and/or look at weapons others have made?
Ranting about the BoW so you don't have to.
More rants here: http://board.belegarth.com/viewforum.php?f=66
Akroth
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 19 Apr 2009
Realm: Thunder Guard
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, spear

Postby Arsteel » Fri May 18, 2018 3:41 pm

Nope. Nearest realm is over 3 hours drive away. To clarify, it's Bel combat rules. Excluding me, no one is willing to put the time and effort (and minimal $$$) to build actual Bel weapons.

I'm building your basic blue sword. Out of blue foam. Kinda like I said. I haven't done duct-tape swords in a while. I was looking to expand my collection so I'd have Bel legal loaners, and I was asking after what I would need to do for a stabbing tip.

Could I get a link to a mat that would work?
Arsteel
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Derian » Fri May 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Here you go: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Athletic-Wor ... /100108391

Should be available in any walmart. Alternatively, stadium seat cushions (or boat seat cushions) from a hardware/sporting goods store are ensolite. They're probably thicker than you need for a class 1 weapon, though.

I've used the aforementioned yoga mat for a number of weapons. I'd recommend two layers for single handed weapons and 3 for two handed.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Arsteel » Wed May 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Thank you very much. Almost done with the set now. Just have to sew the cover together (I hate this part...)
Arsteel
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:07 am

Super late to the party, but you can find video tutorials on a good handful of weapons, etc. over on the Boffer Basics Youtube channel.

You can also find build guides and a materials guide in the Belegarth Starter Kit. It also contains information on starting realms, making garb, and much more.

Short answer, *'s brand stadium seat (the all foam one with no cloth, frame, etc.) is perfect for stab tips.

Hope that helps some!

Oh, one more thing! I've heard Frost King pipe insulation is used commonly in Amtgard as a replacement for pool noodle as it's more consistent and hits better. I've never used it myself, but some people swear by it. That's if you're wanting to stick with simple and easy "slide on and fight" type swords, or if your buddies are.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Arsteel » Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:05 pm

Thanks Thurat. I'll see if I can convince the lazy people to swap to pipe insulation. Pool noodles are terrible and we all know it.

Also, I used the suggested fitness mat and it seems to work just fine. I finished the swords and everything is holding up just fine. Thanks for the help guys!
Arsteel
Recruit
Recruit

Postby MeanJoseVerde » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:12 am

Check yard sales, flea markets and second hand stores for yoga/fitness mats. Common for people to get excited for exercise then give it up.
MeanJoseVerde
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2013
Realm: Sword coast medieval fighting
Unit: Hero complex
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, red pole

Return to Foam Smithing