On the topic of generic premade arrow heads

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

On the topic of generic premade arrow heads

Postby Xyvn » Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:12 am

I have made a few Belegarth legal arrows before. The heads are permanently attached to the shafts and I'm pretty sure I would need draw stops to use them officially, but they work. That said, I want to find something easier, something cheaper, and frankly something lazier, if I'm being 100% honest. (Note: I am aware that safety is important. Anything I make gets tested on myself or my willing foamsmith partner.)

That said, I found some of those lovely generic premade arrow heads for something like archery dodgeball.

As you can see, on the left is one of the standard arrow heads and on the right is one of the arrow heads with the rear wrap cut off and removed. Here is a close up photo of that:

They appear to have a type of blunting on them, which is about a dime in size. My plan would be wrap a layer of open cell foam on the outside of the arrow head and apply an addition layer of high density open cell foam (computer foam) on the end to make it softer again.

Would this be Bele-legal? If not, suggestions to make this Bele-legal. Thank you for your time.
I made this account before I decided on my fighting name. Mistakes were made.
-Omm
Xyvn
Recruit
Recruit

Re: On the topic of generic premade arrow heads

Postby Sir Thurat » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Sorry for the super delayed reply; I haven't been on the boards in a minute.

At a glance they look Bel legal. The foam on the tip looks a bit sparse, but as you said a bit of open cell on the face should be fine. I don't think it would be necessary to wrap the can in open cell.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Xyvn » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:12 pm

So I don't have the photo, but basically they are too narrow to pass as is. They are about 2.25 inches in diameter, which fails the required 2.5 inches for arrow heads.

Thanks for the response, even if it was late!
I made this account before I decided on my fighting name. Mistakes were made.
-Omm
Xyvn
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Thurat » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:45 pm

Maybe just make the foam you're adding to the tip just a bit bigger? A 1/4" overlap all around would make it passing, and should tape down to a nice smooth taper. However you go about it, let us know how it works out! I like building my own, but man having some cheap ones that you can order in and minimally modify to get going quick wouldn't be bad.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Foam Smithing