Fun noodle

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Should funnodles be legal foam? (read first)

no
56%
yes
44%

Total votes : 126

Postby Sir Killian » Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:50 pm

yeah... I R SMART
i gradu-ma-cated hi Skool
Sir Killian Atreides of the Goats
Defender of the Steins
Shield & Hammer of House Hellhammer
Knight of Wolfpack of The Highplains

Sir Par wrote:Its all about Herpes? Then I've this **** down SOLID for years!
Sir Killian
Ninja
Ninja

Realm: Wolfpack- Ruins of Wildwood
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: The one I kill you with

Postby savetuba » Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:46 pm

I personally don't mind if a wepon is made out of fun noodles just so long as it ISN'T the STRIKING SURFACE. I mean for arm gaurds or cross gaurds or final layering around sheild edges or surface protection they are fine, but if a striking surface is made of fun noodle then I wouldn't fight the guy/gal.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Zale » Fri Jun 06, 2003 3:27 pm

I voted yes, because some people need that extra sting to realize they've been hit I for one am one of those people. my back and my arms have become less senstive to pain then the rest of my body and when i was nailed in the back by a fun-noodle flail i felt it but sometimes i wont feel a hit with a blue foam weapon unless some power is put into it.

some weapons should be banned in my opion of fun-noodle foam but i'm a newbie and i'm probly going to be hearing about this from my CO when and if he reads this
Zale
Underling
Underling

Postby Gautlet Guy » Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:12 pm

i think that fun noodles could be used as long as its not around the core. I'd use it as a last resort because it tends to wear out remarkably fast, and occasionally hurts somebody. But then again, it's a hazard of this sport and you can't regulate everything.
Gautlet Guy
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Beak » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:00 am

i agree
Knight of Numenor
Sir Beak
Brute
Brute

Realm: Numenor

Postby Makieus » Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:28 pm

The problem I have with fun noodle, is that they hit too light. We have a few ampguarders ?spelling fight with us from time to time, and I can almost never fell their hits. I really don't care if people use the noodles, provided the weapons pass inspection.
"It won’t last. Brothers and sisters are natural enemies! Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and other Scots! * Scots! They ruined Scotland!"--Groundskeeper Willie

"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command." --Jayne
Makieus
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-1994
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Red
Javelin and Sword

Postby Diomedes » Sun Jul 27, 2003 9:41 pm

It's not the noodle that makes it so that you can't feel their hits, Makieus, it's their sissy * swings! Those weapons feel fine when we check them, but give them back to those guys and its wimpy hits time. They are used to swinging really lightly... It's quite sad... :) My other point is that if I had a doller for every time that I had a noodle break down, I would be able to afford, well, stuff... And other stuff... :neutral:
Sir Diomedes of Acheron
GELF
Diomedes
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1995
Unit: Gelf

Postby Dmitri » Mon Jul 28, 2003 11:29 pm

I've never been hit by funnoodle weapons, but the funnoodles I've handled were so hard I was shocked. I wouldn't use them for ANYTHING. They just wouldn't be safe. But I have heard of much softer funnoodles, made of better foam...while they might be safe, I'm gonna have to vote no. The way I understand it, the foam is similar to pipe insulators (not the black rubber type), which I used to use (for SCA-style sword--*shudder*). Even when teh weapon is fine at check, it can get bad really fast...my old pipe-foam weapons are now stabbing-only, since I just can't rely on the pipe foam to stay safe for more than a few hours...and there can be bad spots that you don't see, and teh tips tend to tear off quickly... The foam is just not up to what we want it to do.
Dmitri
Bandit
Bandit

Realm: Gondor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red Sword

Postby Makieus » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:16 pm

You are right Diomedes. But then I can snap their weapons in half with one hand. If they come Thursday, 'Stress test' their weapons on me again.

Just kidding. To each their own. They come they fight, but most importantly, they DIE! :goblin:
"It won’t last. Brothers and sisters are natural enemies! Like Englishmen and Scots! Or Welshmen and Scots! Or Japanese and Scots! Or Scots and other Scots! * Scots! They ruined Scotland!"--Groundskeeper Willie

"Do you know what the chain of command is here? It's the chain I go get and beat you with to show you who's in command." --Jayne
Makieus
Bandit
Bandit

Javelin and Sword

Postby Makieus » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:17 pm

By the way, I really need to get a better pic, than the 'Rabbit' If anyone has viewed the comics www.sluggy.com then you would know who the rabbit was....

Makieus
Bandit
Bandit

Javelin and Sword

Postby Tor » Wed Jul 30, 2003 10:36 pm

Bun-bun? :P
Viking Bastards. It's like chlorine for the gene pool.
Tor
Utter Bastard

Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Viking Bastards
Favorite Fighting Styles: Death by Not Existing

Postby Kyrax » Thu Jul 31, 2003 9:11 am

Makieus wrote:The problem I have with fun noodle, is that they hit too light. We have a few ampguarders ?spelling fight with us from time to time, and I can almost never fell their hits. I really don't care if people use the noodles, provided the weapons pass inspection.

Would that be because they are trained to hit lightly, and use ultra-light weapons (which make our ultra-light arguments seem silly by comparison)? Amtgard has gone down the path towards making weapons as light as physically possible, and that is an example I don't want to see Belegarth follow.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Postby Dmitri » Sun Aug 10, 2003 3:47 pm

Well, ihave just been introduced to a well-made funnoodle sword. I'm not sure what type of noodle it is, but it actually seems prety safe. It's a red sword with about a 4' blade. It remains to be seen, of course, wether it will break down under use...
Dmitri
Bandit
Bandit

Postby Kyrax » Mon Aug 11, 2003 1:01 pm

ixt wrote:Well, ihave just been introduced to a well-made funnoodle sword. I'm not sure what type of noodle it is, but it actually seems prety safe. It's a red sword with about a 4' blade. It remains to be seen, of course, wether it will break down under use...

All foam weapons break down. The question is how rapidly will this weapon break down, and more importantly will the foam fail at the worst possible moment. I'm an example of that worst case scenario, and I don't want to see someone else crippled because my experience was ignored.
Come to a California event, we only bite when we're Zombies!

Ignore Kyrax, he's old and slow.
Kyrax
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 30 May 1987
Realm: Pelargir-Mallenorod
Unit: Brotherhood of Mithris
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery

Postby Xipher » Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:45 pm

Yeah Ixt, if it passes it passes, but make sure the person checks it out AT LEAST twice per fighting day to make sure it's still in good condition.
Xipher
Grow the game.
Xipher
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1999
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Freeborn

Postby Dmitri » Mon Aug 11, 2003 8:33 pm

Yah. I'm kind of leary of it still, but it looks ok so far... It actually belongs to the realm leader, and it doesn't have anything like the leverage that the sword you were talking about had (this is a pretty short red sword). But yeah, I'm certainly keeping your experience in mind...
Dmitri
Bandit
Bandit

Postby beekmaster » Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:42 am

Varadin wrote:Not only do they hurt the weapons look stupid. It isnt that hard to make a decent weapon that doesnt hurt. If you are too lazy to bother making a weapon out of blue foam or something get out of the sport.

for me (i've made a few noodle weapons) it was a matter of lack of materials, not laziness.

Now that i have blue foam (but not the right kind apperently) i am going legit.

but noodle weapons for noobs should be ok, we don't swing hard enough to hurt anyone
never-ending soODA
beekmaster
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Thorondor » Sat Jan 10, 2004 10:45 am

What in the hell beek? This has been dead for a long while. It was an issue LAST school year when I was in Rolla. I'm not even sure if Emyn Beraid is still up and running.

~?~
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby William MacGregor » Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:00 am

me I use MegaNuddle it is 4'' in diameter for the 4''-6'' heads of nowbie mase's and on the heads of my jav's and pike's as a base then I add at least 2 layers of blue foam and then the open-cel foam.

but as a realm leader I would never want any of my realm to make a funnuddle sword of any leanth or as the base or a slashing polarm, and I would most liking be a * and fail any sword that made out of that $&!#

thus sayith the mighty Scott
aka "The Crazy Scott"
Hammer Squad
William MacGregor
Toadie
Toadie

Postby beekmaster » Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:39 pm

Sorry, I was searching under "foam rubber" and this came up
if you are seriously * at me for re-opening a thread then why don't you delete it.

jeez
never-ending soODA
beekmaster
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Kage » Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:29 am

Good point. But that is just me two cents.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Postby Thorondor » Sun Jan 11, 2004 8:54 am

1- I'm not a mod, so I can't
2- If I was a mod I would have locked it
3- Using the mega noodle as a base for the heads of javs and spears is actually a pretty good idea...as long as it's covered in blue foam or Evalite

~?~

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby beekmaster » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:21 am

yeah i agree with the pike thing as well, good thinking
never-ending soODA
beekmaster
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Jikanta » Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:22 pm

IP address for this post

Users posting from this IP address
Thorondor
LOCKME
Jikanta
Doesn't like funny ranks given to her...

Realm: Dur-Demarion

Postby Thorondor » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:17 pm

Already taken care of...another mod has talked to me about it. (J, if you need/want to know PM me)

Just all these stupid threads continuing starting to get iritating.

~?~

Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby striker » Mon Jan 12, 2004 3:35 pm

I have personally used clubs/maces made from the mega noodle 4" dia and as far as I know they last the better part of a year. However the clubs are only used one handed, but htey are red weapons. And we have never had problems with injury or complaints of it hitting too hard. I do know that there are real dangers however in useing regular fun noodle in certian weapons. I believe that fun noddle should never be used in a large two handed weapon, or as any part of a stabbing tip. If i can shove my finger threw it how is it going to any type of core
Last edited by striker on Sun Jan 18, 2004 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"who needs enemy's that stab you in the back. I got friends for that"
striker
Monkey
Monkey

Postby ZenChi » Sun Jan 18, 2004 3:45 pm

beekmaster wrote:for me (i've made a few noodle weapons) it was a matter of lack of materials, not laziness.
Now that i have blue foam (but not the right kind apperently) i am going legit.
but noodle weapons for noobs should be ok, we don't swing hard enough to hurt anyone

I consider myself a newb, I swing hard as hell if i'm annoyed, angry, *, hate the system/ world, and on occasion just bored
I will swing hard as hell if i get angry/ *
I get angry/* by many things, these also include be hit
noodle foam hurts when swung with decent force and has to be replaced every few months, enough reason not to use the stuff
It's off the Hizzel Foshizzel Dizzel

holder of- Kitana honors
gimp master
mono-ball silver
ZenChi
Underling
Underling

Postby Zephyr » Thu Dec 30, 2004 12:00 pm

I've made quite a few clubs out of fun noodles, but i always add a layer of blue foam to it. The fun noodle breaks down very quickly, so better safe then sorry. Also, the fun noodle rips when pulled on with little pressure. Weapons using it need to be repaired every week or two.
That aside, they make very lightweight, cheep, and good weapons.
I'll kick your sorry * so hard you'll kiss the moons - kid
Zephyr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Mercer » Thu Dec 30, 2004 8:59 pm

ZOMBIE THREAD!!!

LET IT DIE
Mercer
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 May 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Lonely *
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword-and-Board, Two-Hander

Postby Conn MacCollach » Sat Jan 01, 2005 5:39 am

thanks to the virus, ancient threads look like new threads and they are now getting answered all over again.

it is now 2005. i suggest everyone interested in the very few threads that have not been deleted check the date and DO NOT post replies to anything that has has a genesis earlier than, say, late november 2004.

the blessing is that some of the useless posts about rules that do nothing but mislead people like me (looking for answers) have been disappeared from the forum.

yours,

Conn
War Chief of L?echtuath