a stab at a scythe

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

a stab at a scythe

Postby sakaboto kyuubi » Wed Apr 12, 2006 7:46 pm

now im knoww that the scythe is one hell of a stupid endeavor but hey i could care less. now feel free to leave any type of design flaw, or anything else you see wrong (other then my attempt.) thnx

1 inch pvc pipe
2-3 fiber glass rods
duct tape
packing tape(or any type of tape w/ wire in it)
drill
lots an lots of glue
foam

okay so you take the pvc and drill a hole wide enough for both of the

fiber glass rods.

make sure the hole isnt big enough for them to move around too much

then you insert the rods and then use the glue to smother them in place

wrap the packing tape around them to secure them even more.

after all that has dried then begin to apply the foam strips on the sides first.

then add the top of the foam

then finally add the bottom
and hope fully voila a scythe
sakaboto kyuubi
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 17 Nov 2003
Realm: Dunharrow
Favorite Fighting Styles: florentine

Postby Chicken » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:27 pm

Well, it's certainly better than some ideas I've seen at least.

You don't say what sort of glue you're planning to use, but I'd recommend something thick (space filling), strong, and preferably slightly squishy (to take the edge out of impacts). Gorrilla glue, perhaps, or maybe a combination of silicone sealant (for squishiness) in some spots and liquid nails (for strength) in others. You'll certainly want to use liquid nails to hold the two fiberglass rods together.

I also would suggest using a bandpole instead of PVC, since the PVC will inevitably break, but I won't because I don't want to see a bandpole come to such an ignominious end ;).
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Wumpus » Wed Apr 12, 2006 8:30 pm

Alright, first I applaud your effort to do this. It sounds like you have a pretty good strategy to work with.

I have a few questions for you:
1: Do you really know what you are getting into? From what I understand, scythe's are not only hard to build, but also monsters when it comes to upkeep. If you do know that, and are undeterred, I give you a whole hearted thumbs up.

Now let's get into design:
2: what size(s) are your fiberglass rods? because depending on the width of them, you may need only one, you may need three. I'm also curious about how long the striking edge of the blade is going to be.

3: How long is your PVC? Flex may be an issue, but it may also be smart to stick a piece of wood inside it (such as a broom handle) (this will also help reinforce the rods and keep them in place).

4: Are you going to make it stabby? The way i figure it, if you intend to use it in the classic style, with long sideways swings, you will probably want a stabby tip, not to mention it may help to put a striking edge on either side of the blade.

Good luck!

EDIT: One more question: what is the hole for the fiberglass going to be like? ie, is it going to go all the way through the PVC, or just through one side? It seems like all the way through would be your best bet, as it offers more stability.
AKA Senor Apple Empanada of the Cinco Sombrero Squad.

Keep answers like mini skirts; short to keep it interesting, but long enough to cover the subject.

Ph34r 73h 5p47u14
Wumpus
Brute
Brute

Location: The Zone Where Normal Things Don't Happen (Very Often)

Postby Sir Guts » Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:24 pm

i would definatly have a stabby tip on the edge, as well as maybe one on the end of the pvc to use as a spear, they've got to be great against shield, i wouldnt expect it to last long tho.
Guts, sometimes Gutz
Sir Guts
Brute
Brute

Location: a box inside a box that is next to another box on top of a third box
Realm: Nightfort
Unit: Brotherhood Of The Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gross Burger and Dagger

Postby Magpie Saegar » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:41 pm

if you are slashing with the long inside or outside of the blade (rather than the tip) there is going to be a LOT of force (is torque the word?) on the spot where the fiberglass meets the pvc. since there are holes in it, this is ALSO where the pvc is going to be the weakest. it will need to be VERY sturdy there.

also, if you are going to be stabbing with the tip, (even though it is swung, and so will still only be red, not green) there will be a LOT of impact force, since will have a lot of leverage and a very small contact surface... (i.e., the force will be very concentrated).

so basically... make it safely padded and VERY sturdy.

most importantly, post pics: we like to see this kind of stuff.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Sir Guts » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:36 am

well graned its a slashing i believe it would be in the same category as a spear due to th minimal striking surface and the lack of force that would be behind it, compared to a red sword. though i believe this is an issue that hasnt really been adressed in the rules as far as i've seen it
Guts, sometimes Gutz
Sir Guts
Brute
Brute

Location: a box inside a box that is next to another box on top of a third box
Realm: Nightfort
Unit: Brotherhood Of The Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gross Burger and Dagger

Postby Magpie Saegar » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:08 am

You can ask in the rules forum if you want, but I've seen others debate it, and the outcome has always been red or blue. It doesn't matter about the size of the tip, it matters about swinging or thrusting.

yes, i realize that it acts more stabby than slashing, but you're still slashing and not thrusting.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Chicken » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:18 am

Guts The Heavy Blade wrote:well graned its a slashing i believe it would be in the same category as a spear due to th minimal striking surface and the lack of force that would be behind it, compared to a red sword. though i believe this is an issue that hasnt really been adressed in the rules as far as i've seen it

Actually, it's been explicitly addressed in the experimental weapons FAQ (see this entry too).
The basic idea is - it's stabbing if you stab with it, it's slashing if you slash with it. It would be very difficult to stab with the end of the blade of a scythe, since you'd basically have to push the weapon sidways at your enemy, at close range (only the blade length away), but over to your side. So no, the tip of the blade on a scythe would be red, not green.

The two big weaknesses in a scythe are likely to be the blade snapping off where it meets the pole (or the pole breaking there), and the foam at the tip of the blade shearing off or flexing too much (that's where you're going to be doing most of your strikes).

Also, don't expect it to be very useful. In practice, it'll be like a giant, awkward red axe with the normal strike surface being very small. Think how many red axes you see on the field and then guess how useful they are ;).

Finally, if I was heralding on a field with a scythe on it, I'd be watching it as often as I could to look for any sign it was being used to trip, pull legs, or otherwise entangle, at which point I'd pull it off the field in a second.

Just some things to keep in mind... .
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby sakaboto kyuubi » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:40 am

so it is possible but going to be one hell of a project to undertake. ok
are there anyother suggestions before i lose my soul to the scythe????
sakaboto kyuubi
Underling
Underling

Postby Versago Hayashida » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:43 am

i would really think that if it got hit by a sword that the scythe blade would snap off. it will be pretty hard but i think that reinforcing the bend would be the best.
Versago Hayashida
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 07 Sep 2005
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: Kittens of Battle
Favorite Fighting Styles: Club and Punch Shield, Red sword

Postby Barahir Ingem » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:45 am

Chicken wrote:...I'd recommend something thick (space filling), strong, and preferably slightly squishy (to take the edge out of impacts). Gorrilla glue, perhaps, or maybe a combination of silicone sealant (for squishiness) in some spots and liquid nails (for strength) in others.

I've tried Gorilla Glue for void filling, and it doesn't work very well. It required a lot of water to make it set, and the result was a very brittle expanded foam lattice. Gorilla glue is best in a compressed application. Liquid Nails or epoxy would probably be the best option here.
Barahir Ingem
Langdan uin Forod

barahir@bigfoot.com
Barahir Ingem
Thug
Thug

Postby Barahir Ingem » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:50 am

You may want to consider using a single 3/8" fiberglass core in the blade. It won't be so long as to flex more than 45 degress, and the flex it does have will alleviate some of the stress on the joint.
Barahir Ingem
Langdan uin Forod

barahir@bigfoot.com
Barahir Ingem
Thug
Thug

Postby Faolan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:35 am

Make the tip stabby.

The whole sycthe thing has been tried before. I doubt it will work but hey more power to ya'
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Athron » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:46 pm

Funny thing is that the "tip" of the scythe will still be Red damage, not green, since it is very much SWUNG, not STABBED.

I still say pad it like a stabby though, otherwise that mug may hurt a sumthin' fierce.
Athron
Monkey
Monkey

Postby Sir_Mel » Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:59 pm

another way to try this (though it will look gay as hell) is to use a heat gun/lamp to put a 90 degree bend in a 1 1/4" pvc pipe. I dunno, whatever you wanna try. I would suggest trying to get some schedule 80 pvc pipe though, and use some rubber rings or coating (don't know how you'd make these) and put them on the inside of the holes drilled. In theory, they should lessen the impact and lengthen the life of your scythe by at least 2 whole battles :eek: lol. Good luck and I hope that helps.
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Sir_Mel » Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:01 pm

almost forgot, if it's made and still alive by then, I want to see that monster at the dunharrow event in june.
Minister of Metal
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby sakaboto kyuubi » Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:28 pm

ya know this scythe thing sounds like it might be a peice of cake........ that is if i was more exp. if any one wants to try it out feel free.

im gonna make it but not any time soon.. i still have to get all my weapons an junk together 1st. but ill keep yall updated as soon as i start it
sakaboto kyuubi
Underling
Underling

Postby Grey » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:20 pm

Chicken wrote:Well, it's certainly better than some ideas I've seen at least.

i recall one a while back where somone wanted to use screws and nails...
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby sakaboto kyuubi » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:34 am

wait...... nails? isnt that illegal?

whos stupid idea was that?
sakaboto kyuubi
Underling
Underling

Postby Grey » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:52 pm

yes of course it's illegal

i don't remember who posted it

not to mention that the pvc would just crack anyway when you tried to secure it with nails and/or screws
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Tulio » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:47 pm

actualy if you did it right, you could secure it with screwes withought it breaking.
Barron Von Tulio

Sir Tulio the Imposing
Tulio
Berserker
Berserker

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2005
Realm: Rhun
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword 'n Board

Postby sakaboto kyuubi » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:56 am

well either way thats really dumb
sakaboto kyuubi
Underling
Underling

Postby Sir_Mel » Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:26 pm

no really, as long as it was under your padding some really flat screws would be passable.
Minister of Metal
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Peregrine » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:42 pm

Soth-Aran wrote:no really, as long as it was under your padding some really flat screws would be passable.

bad Idea!!!!!
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby bo1 » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:57 pm

what might work is to apply a little liquid nails to hold the rods in place then once dry apply epoxy to fill the entire head about 6 inches inside and out to completely encase the head for support at the area that will eventially break. This may make the rods and band pole/ pvc joint strong enough to survive long enough to find out that it is a hard weapon to use. I encourage you to try it though, because you never know for sure until you try it.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Gambit » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:10 am

I'm going to be making one, not going to use it tho, dont want it to break. just going to make it look pretty.
My spelling is worse then a martians.

see?
Gambit
Toadie
Toadie

swung stabby?

Postby Hardscrabble » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:48 pm

isnt a swung stabby just inherantly more dangerous than the things we normally do? consider the wheel: the axle moves at "x" speed. the rim moves at a much faster speed depending on how far away it is from the axle.

getting hit with a glaive doesnt tickle. now imagine having a piece of pipe sticking out of it, and that gets to hit you first. going back to the wheel, that jutting piece of pipe is moving much faster than any conventional stab. if you can make a stabby that durable, id go into business selling it on other weapons.

what this is boiling down to is that such a weapon as a scythe is hard to make safe and even harder to maintain. joints in weapons=bad (see also: trident). it has been tried, and there is a reason you dont see them out on the field.

the scythe as used as a farm implement is swung in a motion tha t will trip people. also bad plan

addiiotnally i am just restaing thing that were said to me when i thought "hey lets make a weapon like this"
Hardscrabble
Underling
Underling

Return to Foam Smithing