where do you buy?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

where do you buy?

Postby Jynkz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:19 am

hi guys im just starting out and want to learn how to make swords and shields.

well i was looking on the angelfire website and its not much help on where to buy things at. http://www.angelfire.com/realm2/alcon/construction.html

i was wondering where do u get fiberglass cores for swords cuz ive checked all the stores around my area and couldnt find one

also what is blue camp pad is that just regular foam u can get from target?

any help on this would be greatly appreciated because the specifics like names and stuff are left off on the angelfire site so i really dont know what to look for at stores and the people working at the stores dont know anything that you ask them =(
Jynkz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Peregrine » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:29 am

the blue foam is thetype that wal-mart sells its by the sleeping bags. get the ozark brand.
you can use pvc for cores or try to fing Fiberglass electric fence post at a farm n fleet or other such store.
some people use the fiberglass driveway markers they are usely orange. if you make a long sword you will need to double the core.
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby Zzyzx » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:29 am

You can also order full sword kits or individual kit components from Edhellen.com (kits are here.)

From that link I like to buy:

[$4] Kitespar .505 (will make 2 blue weapons)
[$5] Re-blade Kit (aka Edhellen fry)

and buy the rest locally. The other materials I use for sword building are:

Camping foam (pommels)
Duct tape
Welder's Glue (some people prefere DAP)
Pennies (to shape/weight handle)
Thin Cotton rope (handle)
Grip tape (aka hockey tape)
Tights (cover)
Zzyzx

Postby savetuba » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:39 am

Zzyzx wrote:Tights (cover)

It is always funny when you (by you I mean a few guys) go to the check out with 4+ boxes of tights and the person looks at you and says nothing. Then you say 'Do you think those will look good on me?' and watch them become flustered.

Of coarse we explain what they are for afterwards :P

on topic, look for fiberglass poles at fence shops (like back yard fence, not fencing-rapier fighting) and kite spar at any kite/hobby shop.
savetuba
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2003
Realm: Aberdeen Militia

Postby Chicken » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:42 am

Yeah, the easiest way to find good fiberglass is usually some sort of farm supply place, where they'll have it as electric fence posts. 3/8" or 1/2" rods work best for most blue weapons (though 3/8" can only go so long... 30" or so?).
You don't say where you're from so it's hard to say, but the Tractor Supply Company seems to be one of the most widely spread chains out there that I know sells fiberglass fenceposts - Fleet Farms and Farm & Fleets also sell them if either of those are near you.

You can also use PVC pipe, which is available everywhere (incl. home depot). It's heavier than fiberglass, depending on how you use it, and is more likely to break, but will work just fine. For a blue weapon you'll want 1/2" or 3/4" sch40 (3/4" for long weapons) or 1/2" sch80 PVC. Schedule 80 PVC has thicker walls than schedule 40, making it heavier but stiffer and more durable. You can find it at Home Depot in the electrical section as Conduit (which also comes in sch40, you'll have to look at the tag or the pipe itself to be sure). PVC is also dirt cheap.

As Peregrine said, the default "camping pad" comes from wal-mart, is flat (not egg-shell style), blue, and about 3/8" thick. It sells for a bit under $6 a roll, and is enough for a number of swords. The stuff at Target in particular is usually worthless for our weapons - it's too soft and doesn't recover quickly enough.

It might also be helpful to you to check out the weapon construction section of the Belegarth Wiki - it includes almost all of the angelfire guides, as well as articles on all sorts of materials - be sure to check the subcategories.

Hope that helps!
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Jarlaxle » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:29 pm

Actually for around $7.50 you can get a nice camping pad from Big 5 too
Manipulation leads to chaos
During chaos I always seem to come up on top
Therefore, I must manipulate all that you do
Jarlaxle
Scout
Scout

Postby Jynkz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:16 pm

ok well i live in akron / canton Ohio soooo any idea of a place around that would sell the fiberglass rods some place close i dont want to drive like an hour away to buy a like $5 item or should i just go and try and find the reflector ones at a hardware store?
Jynkz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Faolan » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:15 am

The reflector ones work okay for flails, but they are too skinny (in my opion esp?) for swords because the blade woud slip off the core too easy.

But hey go for it if you want to. That would make a wicked fast sword.....

I buy my cores at Farm & Fleet they are a dollar a piece. So if you are headed up the Alliance way then buy alot of cores and save yourself the trip.
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Chicken » Fri Apr 21, 2006 9:01 am

There you go, then - go wherever Faolan goes, or try the tractor supply company in North Canton.

Hope that helps...
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Grey » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:49 am

oh and you can use double sided carpet tape

it doesn't hold up too well in the cold though, so if you'll be fighting in winter i wouldn't recommend it

hope that helps :pirate:
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Dacian » Thu Apr 27, 2006 8:24 am

Chicken wrote:There you go, then - go wherever Faolan goes, or try the tractor supply company in North Canton.

Hope that helps...

that's the store I go to (the one in alliance or salem, though, as I am in Sebring)

4 ft. long fiberglass rods. works great for every weapon i've made. (other than reds of course, due to flex)
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Return to Foam Smithing