Trying to get to the next step of the process...(red swords)

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Trying to get to the next step of the process...(red swords)

Postby Ejike » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:49 pm

What's up guys, I just had a question that hopefully someone here can help me out with...

I don't know if you've seen the pictures in the "Show Me Your Weaponz!"
thread, but I'm the guy that made the scimitar. There are, as there are with most weapons, flaws with it's construction. One of these 'flaws' are that it's heavy (heavy in the right places, but heavy none the less). And I was wondering if/what some of you other red builders (no, not Indian builders--joke) do to cut down on the weight...

Then I was thinking about the Edhellen swords, namely the * sword...that sword is really light...I think maybe even a little too light, I think it failed somewhere I took it).

Long story short, am I allowed to ask here what they do to make their swords? If so, then how do the guys * Edhellen make their swords so dang light!? I'd just order one, but I need that little bit that makes the sword my own...

(P.S--I usually use 3/4" pvc and just bend it; I also put some change into the handle to bring the weight down and make kind of a grip...

ummmm....I think that's it, sorry for the rant and/or any typos, but any help would be greatly appreciated (though that won't stop me from trying to kill you if we meet on the battlefield) :angel: :angel: :P
Ejike
Recruit
Recruit

Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' Board, red..

Postby Faolan » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:00 pm

Well, I hear Edhellen is the place to go for nice weapons if you can't make them yourself.
If you want to know what went in to the weapon you are buying just go to that categorie ie. "two handed"

Two-Handed Swords

Then click on the text of the name of the weapon and it will take you to an info screen. You can find out about the weapon there.

ie. The * Sword Description:
A * sword has a 36 (and one half) inch blade, 10 inch handle with a solid 0.5 inch fiberglass core. Weight (approx.): 20 ounces. This sword is a normal sized sword. Normal shipping rates apply (no need to use large sword shipping). *Note: This sword does not meet the length/weight requirements for Belegarth Medieval Combat Society for it weighs only 19 oz

A nice sword but a barely blue none the less. I wouldn't mind having a few of those.

I wish I could get sweet cores like those....
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Zzyzx » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:34 pm

Yeah, the guys at Edhellen are not at all secretive about the way they build weapons. Even though the method they use is pretty much common knowledge, the reason why people order from them is because of the quality and durability of the final product, plus the time saved of not having to build the * things.

If you like the quality and weight of their weapons but "need that little bit to make the sword your own" (I feel the same way), I'd recommend ordering the components from their Sword Kits page.

What makes their red weapons lighter than most is:

1 - the particular (white) foam they use
2 - the core: you can use Kitespar or fiberglass
3 - minimal duct tape

You'd be surprised at how much weight too much duct tape will add to a weapon.
Zzyzx

Postby Ejike » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:23 pm

ahhh....I never thought to check that site out (most sellers don't just tell people how to make what they do), but that's cool, thanks for the info.
I actually may end up ordering the kit for making a sword, I guess I'd just need a longer core (to make it red). Oh, and one more thing, can you bend fiberglass? or is there a way to order it bent?
Ejike
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Zzyzx » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:44 pm

I've personally never had any luck bending fiberglass or kitespar, only PVC
Zzyzx

Postby Ejike » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:35 pm

hmmm.....can you order fiberglass that's 'pre-bent'? I only ask, 'cause I'm madly in love w/ curved blades (scimitars and the like)
Ejike
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Faolan » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:25 am

What I want to know is were they get their cores and the "white foam" Zzyzx was talking about. 'Cause right now I am limited to blue foam, PVC, and fiberglass rods.
I heard that the foam comes "prelamenated" and I can't find anything like that on the web.
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:42 am

Double post.
Last edited by Big King Jimmy on Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:43 am

Last I heard, just about the only thing secret at Edhellen is where that Kegg foam comes from. Last I checked, no one knows. But I've been gone for awhile.

Also, you can't bend fibreglass yourself. And as far as I know, you can't do it at all. But I may be wrong. I mean, I know it can be curved, look at the body of a car. But that's in a factory setting, and probably the manufacturing process.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Olos » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:31 am

I'm not sure where he gets it, but I know a while back he had some peices that he had cut funny or whatever and couldn't use, and gave them to us, they worked for us :)

EDIT: and you can delete one of your posts as long as noone has replied to it yet, rather than editing in double post. :eek:
Brother of the Black Company!
Resident Dwelf.

HEIL o/

GOD WILLS IT!
Olos
Berserker
Berserker

Postby Zzyzx » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:19 am

The reason why people can't order from their supplier directly is because of the size of their minimum order. I don't know specifics on their particular supplier, but others I've called will not sell to you unless you are buying at least $2000 worth of foam from them.

Even if you could get a realm to all pitch in, where would you store it? More trouble than it is worth IMO.
Zzyzx

Postby Ejike » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:11 pm

hmmm...valid points, all. First of all, thanks a ton everyone for replying and putting in your two cents (anyone out there feel free to jump in!)
I'm going to meditate on what's been said so far, keep chucking in any new ideas!
Ejike
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir_Mel » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:32 pm

it is possible to bend fiberglass, but probably not by someone such as yourself. It requires highly specialized equipment and training to bend fiberglass. In order to bend the fiberglass you execute a type of "smelting" except it's with fiberglass and then you have to "cast" the fiberglass in the shape you want. I too wanted some wicked light curved swords so I did my homework and was discouraged. Sorry to burst your bubble on the bent fiberglass thing but it's the truth. Just use some 1/2" or 3/4" (or bigger if you really need it) and use a heat gun or heat lamp to soften the PVC and it becomes almost as malable (sp?) as soft clay or something. Hope you feel informed now.
Later
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Sir Guts » Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:31 am

what about using like an elbow joint of pvc, and putting to pieces of fiberglass thaere and bonding them with liquid nails or something and either foaming over the elbow joint or cutting it away. i not sure how strong liquid nails is at bonding or maybe jb weld compond but its might be something to experiment with.
Guts, sometimes Gutz
Sir Guts
Brute
Brute

Location: a box inside a box that is next to another box on top of a third box
Realm: Nightfort
Unit: Brotherhood Of The Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gross Burger and Dagger

Postby RavenHeart » Thu Apr 27, 2006 7:18 am

Firstly, Ejike is one of My guys and is not an idiot. He knows how to make superior weaponry, he also know alot of ADVANCED foamsmithing... If you think he is incapable of finding and executing a way to bend fiberglass, then you are sorely mistaken..

If it comes to it... you can purchase curved fiberglass... you can even form fiberglas into curves... ever heard of the corvette?

If you hold out long enough, I am sure he will surprise you.
High Chieftan of the Dobharchu Donn
Swordbrother to Kinsman Oron the Wolf
RavenHeart
Barbarian
Barbarian

Postby Sir Guts » Thu Apr 27, 2006 3:08 pm

hey i hope he finds a way that the common man can do it. i have access to a lot of autoshops and processing areas so i'll look into it but also anything i can do to help i offer. ejike the curved blade u initially showed was awesome and i can only hope you find a way to do curved fiberglass
Guts, sometimes Gutz
Sir Guts
Brute
Brute

Location: a box inside a box that is next to another box on top of a third box
Realm: Nightfort
Unit: Brotherhood Of The Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gross Burger and Dagger

Postby bo1 » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:22 pm

You can make a blade looked curved by adding foam and taking away foam in the right spots. Add a little to the middle of the striking side, take off a little from the middle of the false side(back edge). Add a little to the tip and base of the false edge, tak a little off the striking tip and base. when you are done cutting add a fresh strip around the whole bnlade to keep it functonal. make sure you still have enough padding from the core, but it is possible to recreate the look with a straight fiberglass rod.

many of the hoard members ( and other groups) have bits of foam added to weapon to create effects that look cool. They don't change the weapon that much, but the visual effect is neat on the field.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Faolan » Thu Apr 27, 2006 4:57 pm

To answer your question guts, I strongly suggest not using a pvc jiont. I bent the PVC on one of my swords and so far it has been great. (A little heavy tho') And one piece construction would allow the weapon to retain its integrity longer.
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Sir_Mel » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:23 pm

it is possible to bend fiberglass, but probably not by someone such as yourself. It requires highly specialized equipment and training to bend fiberglass. In order to bend the fiberglass you execute a type of "smelting" except it's with fiberglass and then you have to "cast" the fiberglass in the shape you want. I too wanted some wicked light curved swords so I did my homework and was discouraged. Sorry to burst your bubble on the bent fiberglass thing but it's the truth. Just use some 1/2" or 3/4" (or bigger if you really need it) and use a heat gun or heat lamp to soften the PVC and it becomes almost as malable (sp?) as soft clay or something. Hope you feel informed now.
Later
Sir Melannen Arqueno, The Exemplar
Knighted by Sir Kyrian Hawksword
Minister of Metal
"The rising tide raises all boats."
Sir_Mel
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword Board, Two-stick

Postby Wumpus » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:57 pm

Soth-Aran wrote:it is possible to bend fiberglass, but probably not by someone such as yourself. It requires highly specialized equipment and training to bend fiberglass. In order to bend the fiberglass you execute a type of "smelting" except it's with fiberglass and then you have to "cast" the fiberglass in the shape you want. I too wanted some wicked light curved swords so I did my homework and was discouraged. Sorry to burst your bubble on the bent fiberglass thing but it's the truth. Just use some 1/2" or 3/4" (or bigger if you really need it) and use a heat gun or heat lamp to soften the PVC and it becomes almost as malable (sp?) as soft clay or something. Hope you feel informed now.
Later
Nothing wrong with your post except it's supposed to be spelled malleable. While I'm at it, in your sig, it's Jaya Ballard. Just had to get that off my chest.

Peace. :)
AKA Senor Apple Empanada of the Cinco Sombrero Squad.

Keep answers like mini skirts; short to keep it interesting, but long enough to cover the subject.

Ph34r 73h 5p47u14
Wumpus
Brute
Brute

Location: The Zone Where Normal Things Don't Happen (Very Often)

Postby Ejike » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:20 am

excellent points all, thanks for keeping it alive...

I think I may try to bend fiberglass....not anytime soon though. For now I'll just stick w/ pvc and bend it as usual...
Ejike
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Ejike » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:24 am

To Guts the Heavy Blade & Ravenheart: Thanks a lot guys!!! That actually means a lot coming from you seeing as how I haven't even been doing this for a year yet :D

To Bo1: (sry if I mispelled that ;) ) I had actually done a lot of that, I wish I had some pics of the swords I put together that way, they actually looked kinda cool, It just came down to the integrity (sp) of the blade vs. the 'need' for something fancy on there.
I think, though, I'm gonna try to bend some fiberglass....

not ayntime soon mind you, for now I'm just gonna stick w/ pvc, if nothing else it will work up my arms strength for anything I might make that's lighter...
*here's the current curved blade I'm working on [if you haven't seen it]
Ejike
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Foam Smithing