sheild hooked dagger?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

sheild hooked dagger?

Postby shemp » Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:32 pm

well the basic idea is to have a dagger with a shield hook on it,something along the lines of
VthisV

aka the twig

is it possible?do i have to look after somethings?is it against the book of wars?
shemp
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Magpie Saegar » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:11 pm

I don't THINK it would be illegal..... but don't quote me on that.

as far as functionality goes... if you want to hook shields... why not just make a very sturdy pommel and try to hook with that? adding a huge and sturdy-enough hook onto the top end of a dagger is not only going to make it more easily grapple-able, it will also add a lot of undesirable weight to the tip.

not to mention, it will look funny. I think it makes sense for spear to have these... but daggers? if you're that close to the shield, why not use your hand? or make an axe?

if you're going ahead with it though... do you have any ideas on how you're going to make the hook sturdy enough to be functional?
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Chicken » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:39 pm

Rules wise it would be no different than a hooked spear, which are perfectly legal (though rare).

As far as functionality goes... I really don't see that buying you anything. Sure, now you can hook people's shields and move it around, but with a dagger like that you have to be in close enough anyway that if you didn't have the hook on it it would be slim enough that you could just stab around behind their shield anyway. I suppose you could use it as an off-hand parrying weapon/shield hook, but then why not go with an axe (with a stabbing tip, if you want), so you get more reach and more attacking options?

Anyway, it's always worth a shot so good luck. Worst case scenario, you'll get some good knowledge for making a shield hook on a spear later on :).
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby kohntre » Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:13 am

add about 6" to the pommel and another 12" of incidental length/padding and you got something. attach an oval block to the opposite side of the hook and you got a "war hammer" as well...
kohntre
Mercenary
Mercenary

Return to Foam Smithing