makeing a red and need advice

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

makeing a red and need advice

Postby ahlwen » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:35 am

ok i am trying to make a red i can use with one hand. i have 2 long kitespar cores and am using blue camping foam. the demensions of the blade are gonna be 3 feet long 1 foot wide blade and a 10 in. handel. i gess my question what would be the best way to counter weight the handel so i can use it one handed?
ahlwen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Wumpus » Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:53 am

I don't know much about weighting a handle, but if I read your post right, your red sword isn't going to be red. A red sword is a minimum 48 in, but 3 ft (36in) +10in=46 inches. Make sure you get those last two inches! Also my red sword, which is 50 in, is 4 in wide at the blade. 1 ft would be almost laughably wide, that much heavier and harder to balance.

[/2cents]
AKA Senor Apple Empanada of the Cinco Sombrero Squad.

Keep answers like mini skirts; short to keep it interesting, but long enough to cover the subject.

Ph34r 73h 5p47u14
Wumpus
Brute
Brute

Location: The Zone Where Normal Things Don't Happen (Very Often)

Postby ahlwen » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:42 pm

well yea 1 foot was a gess i want the blade to be thicker than normal and it will probly be a lil longer than i origonaly posted ...
ahlwen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Chicken » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:32 pm

I'm curious why you want a fatter blade? Wide blades can cut down on thump and help a weapon pass, but other than that there's really no reason to go with a fatter blade - it means more weight up top, a slower sword (hello, air resistance!), and a tougher time putting the sword into small openings. Especially if you're looking to be able to use it one handed you're going to regret the extra weight up there.

As for counterweighting it, here are some instructions for counterweighting the pommel with pennies. Some other commonly used alternatives are tungsten fishing weights, lead "tape", and wire wrapped around the handle.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Sleeper » Tue May 02, 2006 9:24 am

Having a wide blade also presents another way of "cheesing" the rules. I sometimes use my one foot wide sword as an unbreakable shield, to bad arrows still kill me, lol
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Postby kohntre » Tue May 02, 2006 11:05 am

counterweighing your one handed red?... put a shoulder strap on it
kohntre
Mercenary
Mercenary

Return to Foam Smithing