Sword Flex Question

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Sword Flex Question

Postby Grim Warhawk AlRitte » Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:18 pm

How long can the core in the blade blade of a sword be before it fails flex if I'm using 3/8 fiberglass? I'll have a box plus 2 more layers of foam over the striking edge.

I thought it was 22.5" but I can't remember exactly, and I dont wanna make it then have to rebuild it again. Mind you I need the length of the CORE in the blade, not the end product. Also, I've got a 10" Grip and 2" pommel, so Overall length with a 22.5 inch blade core SHOULD be 37".
Grim Warhawk AlRitte
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 15 May 2001
Realm: Nomad
Unit: Uruk-Hai

Postby Wumpus » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:09 pm

As I understand it, it isn't important how much the actual core flexes, just the finished product.
1.3.5. The maximum allowed flex of any Weapon except Javelins is 45?.

I'd say a good idea is to make sure your core doesn't flex more than 45?, that way you know that the weapon won't flex that much.
AKA Senor Apple Empanada of the Cinco Sombrero Squad.

Keep answers like mini skirts; short to keep it interesting, but long enough to cover the subject.

Ph34r 73h 5p47u14
Wumpus
Brute
Brute

Location: The Zone Where Normal Things Don't Happen (Very Often)

Postby Magpie Saegar » Sat Apr 29, 2006 10:29 pm

Yes, wumpus, but adding weight (foam etc) will increase the flex a lot... so he wants to know what length generall works. cause you can test/plan the length before-hand, unlike the flex.

[edit: apparently i'm wrong on this one. suggested length removed.]

i can't give the best answer cause it's been quite a while since i've used a single core. i usually double core mine (but the fiberglass i get is actually a little thinner than that, i believe).
Last edited by Magpie Saegar on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Chicken » Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:53 am

I like heavy weapons too much - I've only ever made doublecore swords since switching from PVC ;). That said, the Eriador directions say 27" total core length, which sounds about right. A long handle won't help things too much, since it's likely to be tested from right be the pommel anyway.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Derian » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:17 am

Actually, you can go up to 29/30 inches on those cores without too much of a problem. Anything more (like a 37" core) will flex too much.

If you want a huge handle, just shorten the blade a little bit.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Ohtar » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:45 am

I'm thinking more like 26 inches, but if it flexes a little to much just pull off the pommel, and do some cutting. You can move the handle up, by cctting off part of the foam from the blade.
Proud member, and Squire of Henneth-Annun

''Friends don't let friends be elves. now this is extremely dangerous because elves lead to unprotected homosexual sex. ''-Graavish
Ohtar
Underling
Underling

Postby Grim Warhawk AlRitte » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:50 am

Are you guys talkin about overall core or blade core? I made a sword last summer to similar specs that I described above and it barely failed flex test, but I dont remember if I did a 24" or 22.5" blade core. I THINK it was 24", so I was thinking 22.5" should pass.
Grim Warhawk AlRitte
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 15 May 2001
Realm: Nomad
Unit: Uruk-Hai

Postby Ohtar » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:54 am

I'm talking core. I think 26 inch is complete max, but I tape the crap out of my single cores before i put the foam on. Adds weight early, and over the whole length of the weapon, not just in the handle.
Proud member, and Squire of Henneth-Annun

''Friends don't let friends be elves. now this is extremely dangerous because elves lead to unprotected homosexual sex. ''-Graavish
Ohtar
Underling
Underling

Return to Foam Smithing