siege weapons

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

siege weapons

Postby Syrik » Mon May 01, 2006 3:04 pm

i posted this in the rules questions but i figued id try posting it here but i was wondering about siege weapons and their legality
Syrik
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Spork » Mon May 01, 2006 3:09 pm

I don't know much about Siege, but I'm also wondering this.

I just think it'd be difficult to get something that'd work and there is nowhere in the rules about it, so I have no clue. Sorry...
A seal walks into a club.
Spork
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 06 Jan 2006
Unit: None.
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever is lying around.

Postby Derian » Mon May 01, 2006 3:11 pm

There are at least twenty threads regarding this question. The board has a search function, please use it.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Syrik » Mon May 01, 2006 4:09 pm

Derian wrote:There are at least twenty threads regarding this question. The board has a search function, please use it.

First of all it wouldve been alot easier for someone to just tell me
second I looked not extensivaly ill admit but i looked

as far as getting it to work one would say make a simple catapalt and fill it with rocks(the foam ones of corse) it would only count if they hit people in the head but still...
Syrik
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Chicken » Mon May 01, 2006 4:26 pm

I searched for "seige" and found this 3 page thread from a month and a half ago or so (please don't resurrect it!).

Also, as has been suggested, there's this entry in the Experimental Weapons FAQ.

The general consensus you'll see there and every other time it's come up (many, many times, hence the cool reception you're getting) is that:
a) There are no formal rules for it. Various reasonable suggestions have been made and used at times, but anything would have to be at least partially made up on the spot to suit the rules of the scenario and the safety concerns attached to that particular device.
b) They wouldn't be very useful anyway. Seige weapons were mostly designed for destroying fortifications and attacking large formations of tightly-formed troops at range. We don't do castles much (and we don't want them destroyed when we do), and we tend not to do large formations of tightly packed troops far away either.
c) Better safe than sorry. This sport has been going for over twenty years no in one incarnation or another, and has gone that whole time with no significant number of seige engines used. As a result, people are strongly disinclined to mess with a good thing, so any proposal will meet with heavy scrutiny. And some disdain, because it comes up over and over and over again, and always ends with the same conclusion.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Return to Foam Smithing