Open Cell VS. Closed cell

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Open Cell VS. Closed cell

Postby Thorbrandr » Mon May 08, 2006 8:06 pm

SO... I live in good old Canada. Attempted to get a realm started up here when I Was younger but gave up; totally irrelevant to my post but I felt like making the statement anyways so I did. Anyways, it is surprisingly hard to find your regular old open cell foam up here in BC. I can't seem to find anything that doesn't have some wierd extra "bonus feature" on it that raises the price by 10 bucks. I'm a student, I can't afford this.

Needless to say, when free foam comes up, I like to jump at the opportunity, especially since I am fresh out of weapons (we hit hard, and tend to break the PVC, or rip the foam). I was recently offered two rolls of regular looking blue foam, still in the package... but it is closed cell :( What difference does it make? I have no intention of fighting with these weapons outside of with a group of 10-15 people and we don't exactly play by the rules. But I want to know why it is that people don't use closed cell anyways? I haven't been involved in so long I really don't remember the difference.

Anyways, I am thinking of making some swords tomorrow with them, if anyone can dissuade me in that time, please do to save my PVC and time.
Thorbrandr
Recruit
Recruit

Return to Foam Smithing