Double Core Attachment

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Double Core Attachment

Postby Tariz » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:26 pm

I could have sworn I saw a thread devoted to this earlier, but I haven't been able to find it with the search, so...

How do you generally attach cores together when you double core a weapon? Is there a reason that DAP won't work (like small surface area for adhesion)? I used DAP on the two double core fiberglass that I've made so far and then wrapped them in duct tape barber pole style, and they seem to be holding up okay (the cores anyway), but they aren't very old.

I seem to recall that Big Jimmy said he used hot glue and then barber pole wrapped them in strapping tape. He said it worked really well in terms of durability. Is there a certain brand of hot glue that is particularly strong?

I think someone else said they used liquid nails. If you use liquid nails, what type do you use? I went to the hardware store and they had about 10 varieties.

BTW, I use 3/8" round fiberglass rods when I double core.

Thanks.
# First-generation member, Clan Numberblue

"Your face is ruining my Medieval experience."
-Sgt. Kiff Skitterzz of the Militia

Alumnus of Chamonix
Tariz
Recruit
Recruit

Re: Double Core Attachment

Postby Grey » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:34 pm

Marduk wrote:I could have sworn I saw a thread devoted to this earlier, but I haven't been able to find it with the search, so...

How do you generally attach cores together when you double core a weapon? Is there a reason that DAP won't work (like small surface area for adhesion)? I used DAP on the two double core fiberglass that I've made so far and then wrapped them in duct tape barber pole style, and they seem to be holding up okay (the cores anyway), but they aren't very old.

I seem to recall that Big Jimmy said he used hot glue and then barber pole wrapped them in strapping tape. He said it worked really well in terms of durability. Is there a certain brand of hot glue that is particularly strong?

I think someone else said they used liquid nails. If you use liquid nails, what type do you use? I went to the hardware store and they had about 10 varieties.

Thanks.

hey! i know you!

anyway, when i double core something, i wrap both pieces in indoor/outdoor carpet tape. then i stick them together, and tape them together in a few spots (tape every 8 inches or so) then, i proceed to make my sword.

hope this helps!
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Wumpus » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:44 pm

I have a pair of swords that are dual core. The cores are duct taped together and other than very slight twisting in the handle, they are holding up very well. I've been thinking of rebuilding them, though.

From what I've heard, any kind of liquid nails will work.
AKA Senor Apple Empanada of the Cinco Sombrero Squad.

Keep answers like mini skirts; short to keep it interesting, but long enough to cover the subject.

Ph34r 73h 5p47u14
Wumpus
Brute
Brute

Location: The Zone Where Normal Things Don't Happen (Very Often)

Postby Tariz » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:46 pm

Thanks. How does the indoor/outdoor carpet tape hold up in cold weather (I know normal carpet tape starts to give out in anything below fairly brisk weather)? I would expect it would hold up better than normal tape, but is it sturdy enough to stand up to swordfighting?

By the way, do you and Faolan still have that picture of me getting ganked by Khatovar?
Last edited by Tariz on Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alumnus of Chamonix
Tariz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tariz » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:46 pm

Thanks. How does the indoor/outdoor carpet tape hold up in cold weather (I know normal carpet tape starts to give out in anything below fairly brisk weather). I would expect it would hold up better than normal tape, but is it sturdy enough to stand up to swordfighting?

By the way, do you and Faolan still have that picture of me getting ganked by Khatovar?

Alumnus of Chamonix
Tariz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Grey » Mon Jul 31, 2006 10:50 pm

Marduk wrote:Thanks. How does the indoor/outdoor carpet tape hold up in cold weather (I know normal carpet tape starts to give out in anything below fairly brisk weather). I would expect it would hold up better than normal tape, but is it sturdy enough to stand up to swordfighting?

it holds up alright as long as you don't leave it outside for an uber long time

and yes, b3a5t has all the pictures from midsummer slaughter and i'm going to put them up as soon as he gets me the cd with the pictures on it.
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Khatovar
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Chicken » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:49 pm

YMMV, so try whatever you want and see how it works out, but personally I wouldn't use anything other than a very strong gap-filling adhesive (liquid nails, marine adhesive, or epoxy - hot glue at the very least).

The thing is, as soon as your core starts to twist just the slightest bit, your box is going to rapidly fall apart. When that happens, your weapon quite quickly becomes a failing bag of scrap around a very hard stick. Personally, I wouldn't trust tape to keep it from twisting over time.

I've built quite a few doublecores now, and I've used liquid nails (construction grade) and 3M marine adhesive. I like the 3M stuff better; it's got a little give to it, rather than feeling brittle like the liquid nails, and it's easier to work with. It's also 10x more expensive, so that's a pretty persuasive argument for liquid nails. I think it was Ohtar who said on another board that he uses epoxy, which would be the best possible thing, really. I'll admit I'm skeptical of hot glue, but if people have been using it for a while, I guess I'll believe it.

Carpet tape is great stuff, but I really wouldn't trust it for this. You don't want the cores to move at all, and there's no way you can get that with carpet tape because it isn't space filling. Same with Dap but worse, because it's more prone to catastrophic failure.

You can buy a caulk-gun tube of liquid nails for $2. It'll work great, it's plenty for a bunch of swords, and since you don't need to tape the core once it's set, if anything it's quite possibly lighter than any of the tape methods.

Doublecores are great, but if you're going to build one, build for durability and safety.
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Faolan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:32 pm

Yeah, I got that one.

I'm gonna call it Marduk vs. World or Marduk: The One Man Realm
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Tariz » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:58 pm

Thanks for the advice, Grey, Wumpus, and Chicken (yeah Chamonix!). I'll probably try the liquid nails route for my next fiberglass set.

Faolan: My vote goes to Marduk vs. the World.

Alumnus of Chamonix
Tariz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Gronk of MN » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:32 am

yeah, go for liquid nails.

i've done 3 cores now with it (the "project" kind). and they all seem to be stuck together pretty well. the rough, kinda bumpy texture you inevitably get will actually help the DAP stick to the core. but here's some tips!

1)make sure you have a flat surface.
2)line up the rods together.
3)tape them down at either end with masking tape. make sure you stick them to something solid, otherwise they can shift.
4)make SURE you have a scraper, 'cause the liquid nails WILL come out too fast some times, and you'll have excess.
5) and finally, take some time once both sides are done to clean up the core; cutting off overflows on the sides especially.

Hope that helps! admittedly, the core's i've made haven't been built into swords yet; but hey, it's too hot :P
Gronk of MN
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 2005
Realm: Osgiliath
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & board.

Postby Big King Jimmy » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:22 pm

I'm used hot glue, and my weapons will last about 2 years of moderate use before needing to be replaced.

I line up the two rods next to eachother, spread on some hot glue, and then work it in while it's still hot with my finger. If you wait just a second it's not TOO hot, but it might sting just a little. Suck it up, it's not cancer.

Do that to both sides. Then when your done, strapping tape them together about every 5 inches. The DAP will not stick to the strapping tape, so don't over do it.

But, actually, liquid nails sounds cheaper, and all around better. I'd just use hot glue if you have it already.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Re: Double Core Attachment

Postby The Duke » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:25 pm

Marduk wrote:I could have sworn I saw a thread devoted to this earlier, but I haven't been able to find it with the search, so...

Thanks.

First off... who are you?

Second, I already have an evil twin. I dont need another.
Dont make me break your face with the Shotty.
Someone has written on this stone
in some angry hand

'hope rides alone'

Bishop wrote:stupid * mouth wife lady juicy * mouth

Kroncinox the Incinerator: Wizards Council conscript. Master of pyromancy.
The Duke
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Babylon
Unit: GodSquad

Postby Huma » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:25 pm

OMG two dukes!

"The Marduk" is the real one!

Or is he??
Runner of Western Wars
Member of the Order of the Raised Goblet
Check PLUS!
Huma
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2002
Realm: Babylon
Unit: Catalyst

Postby Black Cat » Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:06 am

STIM wrote:"The Marduk" is the real one!

Or is he??

Sounds like something you would read on a comic book.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Wumpus » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:49 am

Sounds like a showdown to me.

TAKING ALL BETS!!!! I got 15:2 on the Gladiator from Babylon!
AKA Senor Apple Empanada of the Cinco Sombrero Squad.

Keep answers like mini skirts; short to keep it interesting, but long enough to cover the subject.

Ph34r 73h 5p47u14
Wumpus
Brute
Brute

Location: The Zone Where Normal Things Don't Happen (Very Often)

Return to Foam Smithing