How would I construct a Jav?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

How would I construct a Jav?

Postby Kailin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:09 am

Need instructions/link/tips on how to construct a Jav. I just don't really want to wing it, so... I know the pipe insulation,pommel, but how would I construct the tip of it? I have the nerf football thing..
Kailin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby vek » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:17 am

a javelin head would have to closer rsembled like an arrow head, because they are head shot legal. if you know how to make arrow heads then just do that but proportional to the javelin legnth. check out this site http://www.romanempire.net/romepage/For ... velins.htm
Last edited by vek on Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Umpa Troll
Men, riding dragons, throwing wolves at maggots
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Kailin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:19 am

Well I'm not exactly sure how. Mainly How would I go about putting the poof football on the top? Does it need an area of foam around the core then the poof ball can be glued? or what?
Kailin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby vek » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:24 am

puff footballs seem a little too strong, open cell is what your gonna need, I edited my previous post when I found Daghir instructions. I know Faolan makes Javelins, so you could always PM him and ask, or just wait till he reads your post.
Umpa Troll
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Kailin » Fri Jul 28, 2006 10:44 am

Haha.. I agree normally, but I have a specail one for Javs.. it's one of those water footballs.. Almost like a sponge. In fact, it pretty much is a spong!
Kailin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Black Cat » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:00 am

Kailin wrote:Haha.. I agree normally, but I have a specail one for Javs.. it's one of those water footballs.. Almost like a sponge. In fact, it pretty much is a spong!

Wouldn't that be too soft?
Last edited by Black Cat on Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby Chicken » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:13 am

I've heard of people making javs with Poof footballs, but when I tried it they hurt like bricks. Poof foam is very stiff and doesn't have any progressive resistance - it's great for some things, but I don't think Javs are among them (at least, not how I tried it).

I made a bunch of javs the same way I make arrows, but using a 4" cube of green Joann foam instead of the 3" cube of good stuff you get with an arrow kit. They've held up okay to modest use and I haven't had a problem with them hitting too hard as long as I keep them short.

Basically, I capped the pipe, wrapped the top ~6" in a layer of blue, capped it with blue, wrapped it again (IIRC), capped it again, then put the block of open cell on top and started at step 18.

YMMV. I hear Athron has a great design, but I don't know if it's up anywhere or if he'll notice this... .
Wikified
Squire to Sir Kyrian; Commander, Clan of the Hydra
"There is only one appropriate attack for all polearms, and that is the thrust."
Antonio Manciolino, Opera Nova, 1531
Chicken
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Unit: Clan of the Hydra - Iron Crown
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear &c.

Postby Dacian » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:50 pm

Just a little hint if you decide to uyse a nerf football....(oh yeah, i'm oodles of info here....pfft)...

Anyways, yes, the football will probably be a little hard at first, so after you get the cover on and all that, throw against a tree for awhile, or a harder surface to try and soften the foam a little bit...

Also, I believe Faolan makes his javelins out of footballs (and yes, they are cushiony pillows of death). They don't hurt, but they can still pack a nice, legal punch. :)
Kyulick Division of the War Machine

Tiercel wrote:Sometimes I stay on my knees for so long, I forget, and have to leave them both down.
Dacian
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 0- 6-1997
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: Kyulicks
Favorite Fighting Styles: Thunder and Lightening.

Postby vek » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:02 pm

Black Cat wrote:
Kailin wrote:Haha.. I agree normally, but I have a specail one for Javs.. it's one of those water footballs.. Almost like a sponge. In fact, it pretty much is a spong!

Wouldn't that be too soft?

it might be, if its too soft it fails because then you'll feel core hit, arrows and javs are tricky to get just right the first time around, rocks are ridiculously easy.
Umpa Troll
vek
Slayer
Slayer

Postby Judas » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:53 pm

ImageImage
Judas
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Faolan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:15 am

Dacian wrote:Anyways, yes, the football will probably be a little hard at first, so after you get the cover on and all that, throw against a tree for awhile, or a harder surface to try and soften the foam a little bit...

Also, I believe Faolan makes his javelins out of footballs (and yes, they are cushiony pillows of death). They don't hurt, but they can still pack a nice, legal punch. :)

Actually Dacian, that was my first Javelin and I put the cover on WAY too tight. (which made it hit like a brick) So use the Poof (brand!) football, cut it in half and lay it on top of the foam seat you made for the head. Measure about a half inch on all sides that overlapthe foam base and shave off the rest of the foam. Tape the foam down and tape the cover on snugly.

By the way... Don't use pipe insulation. It breaks down just from gripping and throwing it. I use blue foam on the shafts. Safety first.

"cushiony pillows of death"...... I like that.
Official Foamsmith of Khatovar
Faolan
Warrior
Warrior

Postby Grey » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:36 am

faolan also sells javelins http://www.geocities.com/faolan_armoury
Grey Southpaw
Squire to Sir Bulvife
Captain of Khatovar
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Grey
Brute