Mace Design

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Mace Design

Postby MagnusofDregoth » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:07 pm

Hey, all, I made a mace a month and a half ago that has turned out to be a totally awesome weapon that lots of people (including yourself) think is awesome. It has a stabbing tip, is very safe, and also weighs in right around 12 ounces, which means it is very, um, wieldy, unlike a lot of the maces you see out there.

I tried to make these directions as succint as possible; therefore, there is only one picture to look at, which can be found here. Use your preferred method for attaching foam together; I used DAP for the whole thing, except for the spray glue I used on the open-cell tip. Also, cover it however you like--I used 5 separate pieces of fabric (one for each flange, and one for the tip) but you can probably do better. I used black athletic tape on the haft, but you may find brown duct tape (or brown latex, even) to be more to your liking.

A few notes about construction, from my experience--I used a 31" core, which yielded a 35" weapon when finished. You may like a longer or shorter one, but this is basically the perfect length for me. Also, while you can substitute blue foam for most of the EVAlite, EVA is really the only option I can recommend for the flanges--unless you have Marine Foam (also known as SeaFoam, or Aqua Foam, or whatever). The flanges have to be a dense closed-cell foam that is somewhat soft; if you use open-cell, it will hit too lightly (or compress too much) while a stiffer, lower-quality closed-cell will hit too hard and break down quickly.

So, see what you can make of this, and let me know the results! It's really not that hard, but DON'T RUSH IT. Really. It's worth the wait for a totally sweet weapon like this.
Guardsman of House Dregoth
Knight of Taurendor

+ Benedictus Dominus Fortis Meus, Qui Docet Manus Meas Ad Proelium, Digitos Meos Ad Bellum +
MagnusofDregoth
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 04 Jun 2001
Unit: Errant
Favorite Fighting Styles: SS,Spear,2S,Rock

Return to Foam Smithing