All foam shields

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

All foam shields

Postby Mordekiem » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:54 am

Hello

Some friends and I are just getting started. We've seen and heard about shields that appear to be all foam and cut from a single sheet with straps put thru it.

I went to the local foam store and tried to tell them what I needed but they seemed confused.

They appear to be pretty straight forward to make, I just don't know what type of foam to ask for. Is anyone able to help me out with what type of foam I need to ask for? Just saying computer packing foam doesn't seem to click with the foam store salesperson. I'm also not sure if I need to get thinner layers and glue them together or just get a single slab of thicker foam.

Also, if anyone knows of any Foam Stores in the greater Seattle area I'd love to hear about them. I've only been able to locate the Friendly Foam Shop. I figure if I can pick it up locally that will save a ton of money on shipping as I need enough foam for 5 shields.

Anyways, I have been frustrated by the foam store people and am hoping you guys can help me out. Thank you!
Mordekiem
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2013

Re: All foam shields

Postby Dangus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:29 pm

Mordekiem wrote:Hello

Some friends and I are just getting started. We've seen and heard about shields that appear to be all foam and cut from a single sheet with straps put thru it.

I went to the local foam store and tried to tell them what I needed but they seemed confused.

They appear to be pretty straight forward to make, I just don't know what type of foam to ask for. Is anyone able to help me out with what type of foam I need to ask for? Just saying computer packing foam doesn't seem to click with the foam store salesperson. I'm also not sure if I need to get thinner layers and glue them together or just get a single slab of thicker foam.

Also, if anyone knows of any Foam Stores in the greater Seattle area I'd love to hear about them. I've only been able to locate the Friendly Foam Shop. I figure if I can pick it up locally that will save a ton of money on shipping as I need enough foam for 5 shields.

Anyways, I have been frustrated by the foam store people and am hoping you guys can help me out. Thank you!

What you want is called either 1.7# or 2.3# Polyethylene Plank Foam.

Source: http://foamforyou.com/polyethylene_foam.htm

You're probably going to want At least 2" thick.
Also, be prepared to put a layer of blue on the face to cover up any straps that may loop through on to the face of your shield. Some realms are pickier about this, so your mileage may vary.
Dangus
Scout
Scout

Started Fighting: 09 Sep 2001
Realm: Tir na nOg
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Set trippin', Rippin', Dippin'.

Postby Mordekiem » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:59 pm

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for!

I will take that info to the local store and see if they have it for a similar price.

And thanks for the blue foam tip. I have some of that already from walmart because I was thinking the exact same thing.
Mordekiem
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Rasheab » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:14 pm

Or you can contact Fitz at http://www.calistonarmory.com and see what blanks he has in stock.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby Mordekiem » Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:42 pm

Thanks. I sent him an email looking for an idea on price.
Mordekiem
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Gámhain » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:14 am

Rasheab is right - Fitz usually has tons of shield blanks for sale, and -if you feel like dropping some extra coin- he makes SICK plastidipped shields for people.

...or, if you want to shield-edge alot, you could make a wooden cored shield. Because they're awesome.
Brother of Clan Germania
Iron Hand of the Acheron Empire
Wandering Mintrel

If you can't pronounce it, don't name your realm or your event after it.

Gámhain
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 26 Mar 2009
Realm: Taurendor
Unit: Clan Germania
Favorite Fighting Styles: Drunken flailing

Postby Sir Thurat » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:45 am

This isn't exactly top of the line tech, but this will get you a decent shield.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Foam Smithing