Round Shield tips

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Round Shield tips

Postby Jevins » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:55 pm

Alright, so I was planning on making a round-shield soon, as to better train myself in shield fighting. However, rather than just diving into it (like any and every other belegarth item I make), I wanted to know what materials are best to use. Specifically, I want to know what type of wood and thickness would be best for an average size round shield core to make it durable and light.

Any other tips on building would also be appreciated (if there is something to avoid that is often done; what types of straps are best; etc)
Jevins
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Latnemir
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever, man.

Re: Round Shield tips

Postby Tordek » Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:09 pm

i used 1/2" plywood for my round shield, made it a 24" diameter core, which bulked it up to 28" when done, as for straps i used pieces of fairly thick leather (just shy of armor grade) with T nuts and washers, then a cover help tight by shock cord.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Postby Cú Éireann » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:11 am

Leather makes for good straps, though I would also strongly recommend the use of old seat belts- very comfortable and very tough.
"You talk of food? I have no taste for food--what I really crave is slaughter and blood and the choking groans of men!"

~Achilles

Forkbeard wrote:Butch up.
Cú Éireann
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 14 Jul 2008
Realm: Niflheim
Favorite Fighting Styles: Help my friends and harm my enemies

Postby Poo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:16 am

get 5 ply birch underlayment, we call techply. Leather strips and seat belts work well, but i've had mountains of success with backpack straps for the strap on your arm. You can tighten them to your liking, so they fit anyone, and they are padded and very comfortable. One thing that many newer people don't think about is having the bolts point in, towards you if you were holding the shield. this allows you to easily change out the straps without deconstructing the shield. Other than that, follow the instructions on the wiki.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby Derian » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:19 am

If you're going wood, the core choices you'll want are going to be the two mentioned above or 3/8" regular plywood. I'm not sure how much techply costs; if it's significantly more, you're probably better off going with 3/8" plywood or 1/2" plywood.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby Isk » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:56 am

Second all the strap suggestions, go with the 5-ply underlayment, and I would strongly recommend using the t-nuts. They cinch down nice, are their own washer and you never have to take the shield apart to mess with the straps. You can make the bolt work this way, like poo suggested, but the t-nuts are flush with the face and don't need to be glued or anything to stay in place. BTW, Poo, the new avatar is really sweet.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby Poo » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:28 pm

thanks man, it's me at spring wars wearing my realm colors.

I completely forgot T-nuts. They're **** awesome.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Tordek » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:22 pm

just make sure you set your straps where they feel comfortable before you add anything to the front of the shield, it also helps to have a layer where your arm will go as padding (i think that is in the wiki), but bolt up the straps, see how it feels, and make adjustments as needed.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Postby Rizel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:22 pm

Three words: Waffling, waffling, waffling.
If you've got foam coming out of your ears and don't care, then ignore me. If you want to save as much foam as you can, then that's a good method. I dunno how good of a foamsmith you are, but if you've got moderate expirience, certainly give it a try.
Waffled shields are also a good way to get rid of those 2" wide strips of foam you may have laying around that are too short for blades.
bo1 wrote:this forum would be one page if it werent for scythes, one beautiful page of good, useful information.
Rizel
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 6-2008
Realm: Rhun
Unit: -none-
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword + Shield

Postby Rizel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:25 pm

Enjoy a link to Dag's waffling tutorial page.

http://www.dagorhir.com/gear/content/we ... shield.php
bo1 wrote:this forum would be one page if it werent for scythes, one beautiful page of good, useful information.
Rizel
Toadie
Toadie

Postby p_quick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:46 pm

and you wonder why the gear at rag looks like crap?
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Single, two sword

Postby Satanaka » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:38 pm

a lot of good information from above.

To start and train- I'd advise a heavier wood shield. This makes you stronger and you have to be more active with the shield- also helps when someone runs into, bashes your shield or you bash & check with it.

The flush bolts on the outside going in is one of the best advices- then- you can adjust straps. i like the "old Seat Belt" types for forarm and over the shoulder. Make sure to "Double the material over before cutting and putting screws in- use washers on both sides of the straps.

I would also advise to build VERY good edges- so to use in fighting and as the shield sits on it's side.

Best of luck to you- there are so many good people on here to help you along the way.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Started Fighting: 12 May 1992
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Templar Draconis Kestevara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Right side of the Sword

Postby Arrakis » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:44 pm

Amen, Peter.

Waffling is what you should definitely do if you hate your equipment, your self, and your opponents. Why on this big green planet would you want to leave **** air pockets in the face of a device that you will be slamming into people with? Do you think that makes it safer, by leaving gaping weak points and structural instabilities?

3 FULL layers of 7/16" thick bluefoam on the front or equivalent (2*.5+1*1/4 2# foams, say), 4 layers of same on the edges.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Davit » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm going to agree with peter and arrakis on this one. One of the first things you learn when you foamsmith often is that every time there is a split in the foam there is a weakspot. It is the bane of your existance on larger weapons/shields. There is no realistic reason to do this "waffeling" on your equipment, it may save you a few dollars on your first shield, but by the time I've had to recover mine with foam, you will have done it at least 3 times, perhaps more. This doesn't even go into the safety issues that arrakis brought up.
House Hellhammer
Defender of the Stein
The Psycho with the Flail
Knight of Wolfpack
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising every time we fall."- Confucius
Davit
Double Post Eradicator

Postby Satanaka » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:26 pm

Wow- I looked at that instructions and I would have to say that I do not like it or think it is better in any way. It actuall looks like it will take longer due to cutting all the freaking strips.

I agree with the guys above that say this is a poor choice.

Arrakis wrote:Amen, Peter.

Waffling is what you should definitely do if you hate your equipment, your self, and your opponents. Why on this big green planet would you want to leave **** air pockets in the face of a device that you will be slamming into people with? Do you think that makes it safer, by leaving gaping weak points and structural instabilities?

3 FULL layers of 7/16" thick bluefoam on the front or equivalent (2*.5+1*1/4 2# foams, say), 4 layers of same on the edges.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby p_quick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:59 pm

sinse Saki gave you the heavy board advise, which isn't bad advise, i'll give you the flip side of the shield tech.

I use a coreless strap shield, i would make the shield out of a 2 inch 2.2 plank foam 27 inch shield blank with a 1 inch laminated sheet of 1.5 or 1.7 plank foam for the face of the shield. and a half inch of 1.5 to 1.2 foam on the edge (blue foam might work for that edging). with the edging it becomes a 28 inch shield :roll:

The straping is kind or complicated and you want to put them on there after you laminate the harder foam to the softer foam, so you can fix your straps if they get torn or damaged.

For the straps them self you want to take some strong fabric, trigger or duck cloth. take a 5 inch by however long your straping needs to be and fold it in half and sew it to itself, (with a .5 inch seam allowance) will give you a 2inch tube when you turn it rightside out. Sew one end of them so the become a loop that attaches to it self. take that loop and put a chain link connector throw that loop, * the chain connector (CC) closed, super glue it if you want.

Cut a top slit in the foam and a bottom slit in your shield foam, (where ever you want the straps to be on the shield) feed the straping throw the foam, so that the strap goes from the bottom to the face of the shield and then back to the inside of the shield, send the CC throw first mind you so in the end the CC is just peaking out of the top slot on the inside of the shield, and then the tail end of the strap is flat against the face of the shield, threads throw the bottom slot and hangs loose out of the bottom slot of the inside of the shield.

thread the tail end of the strap up and throw the CC, so if you pull on it, it will come and lay flush on the inside of the shield.

Then take 4 zip ties and punch them throw the foam two on each side of the CC so that it feeds throw the CC and the top slot, then it spans out at least 3-4 inches from the CC and comes back to itself after passing throw the shield foam, and zipp them down as tight as you can to the foam. Ideally you want the zipties to be 90 degrees from one another. so you have 4 on each CC holding it in place inside the slot.

Now sew velcro to the shield straps so that it will hold the straps tightly against your forearm and your hand. i recommend making your straps tight on your arm, because i believe the tighter the straps the better the shield is for you.

Now let me explain why we use the CC to thread throw. all the impact of shield bashing, rimming will eventually tear a coreless shield to shreds. The CCs, because they are ziptied from both sides in two different directions, are unable to move from where they are anchored. The way the strapping feeds throw the CC all that stress we just talked about goes into them and because they are anchored in place all that stress dies with them and doesn't damage the foam of the shield.

This post has been brought to you by Rogue Tech.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby p_quick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:04 pm

That't what a chain connector is, its actually called a "threaded safty link"
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Isk » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:24 am

Wow, thanks for writing all that up Peter. Now I'm going to go try it out :)
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby p_quick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:18 am

np =)
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby bo1 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:00 am

that stuff will never work, next you going to say to lower your straps 4 inches. crazy talk.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby calebmonkey » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:35 am

you know its a bad idea (waffleing) when arrakis doesn't use math to prove things
Lt. Chavez B.o.F.
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
all around nice guy

Forkbeard wrote:When new people demand that I explain the wierd parts of our rules and they do not like my answers, I just tell them that the majority of the smart people in this sport said so, that's why. Shut up and fight.
calebmonkey
Hulkamaniac

Started Fighting: 1- 0- 0
Realm: avalon
Unit: BoF
Favorite Fighting Styles: single blue and cold soda

Postby p_quick » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:53 pm

well i thought i would keep my stapping opinions to my self =)
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Rizel » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:57 am

I don't know where you folks get the idea that waffling is to strengthen the shield. The idea is to save a hefty amount of foam. For the first layer of the shield, I have it set as such:
It's a sturdy construction. Yes, I doubt it'll last as long as a shield that has three whole layers, but I'm convinced it will not be a drastic difference. I don't think my shield is going to kick the bucket anytime soon, however.
Rizel
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Ramius » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:14 pm

Rizel wrote:I don't know where you folks get the idea that waffling is to strengthen the shield.

I read back over the thread like 4 times and never once did anyone say that waffling "strengthens" the shield.

Arrakis did say: " Do you think that makes it safer, by leaving gaping weak points and structural instabilities?"

and Satanaka did say: "Wow- I looked at that instructions and I would have to say that I do not like it or think it is better in any way."

Each of these statements were probably made in reference to this line in the Waffling tutorial (bolding is mine):
There will be lots of air pockets. Don't worry about them, they will actually make the shield safer.

Personally, I don't like the technique either as having those air pockets allows the foam to flex and bottom out on the wood. It is also a good way to have someone's finger go straight through the foam over the air pocket. I have seen both of these happen on swords and would assume the same to be true on shields.

-Ramius
Multisport Crossgaming Stickfighter

Acorn wrote:foam fighting is like ice cream: it comes in different flavors, but it's all delicious. and it's all ice cream.
Ramius
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2000

Postby Rizel » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:37 pm

I don't know who in their right mind is poking shields. I understand accidents happen, but that's why we have safety tests. If my shield doesn't pass, does anyone have to worry?
Besides, I don't see how a sturdy shield is going to fall apart in my arm anyways. If it does, I'll certainly tell you, solely to inform people of it's faulty construction and ways on improving it.
Rizel
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Arrakis » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:08 pm

Rizel:

What you're doing when you construct a shield in that manner is reducing the amount of foam between the person receiving your shield bash and the wooden core of your shield. This is universally regarded as a Bad Thing if it reduces the foam to a level widely considered unsafe (protip: two layers of bluefoam is considered unsafe).

You really aren't saving that much foam. Like, maybe 3 dollars worth, 6 max if you're building just a stupid huge **** shield. Just throw down the other Lincoln+Washington combo and make SAFE equipment that won't hurt your opponent if you go to bash him and, say, his elbow gets hit with one of the points where there's only 2 (or possibly even 1!) layer of foam over the core.
Arrakis

Postby p_quick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:44 pm

basicly what it comes down to is the idea that "waffling" the foam is generally a bad idea because it thins the padding on the shield, and gives it more seams to come apart on.

While you may save a little weight, and maybe a little $$ as arrakis says, you are giving up the long lasting, sturdy, and solid benefits of using 3 layers of solid foam.

So maybe you can make a waffled shield for a tourney shield, maybe...but if you are gunna do that then just go all foam and forget "waffling".

Also, if you are using blue walmart pad for a "waffled" shield face it's gunna make a piece of **** shield no matter how much "waffling" you have on it. the last thing you want is to make blue foam weaker then it already is.

So while i applaud your zeal on your "waffling" technique, i think it's pretty much a bad idea, and would highly recommend a new fighter asking "how to make a round shield" not to use your "waffling" technique.

Further more, if you are so sold on your technique that you are going to continue using it then more power to you. but again i think you should try what the other people in this forum have suggested, and i think you will find that you were all along, surprisingly :eek: , wrong about your "waffling" tech.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Rizel » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:18 pm

You assume I've never used a solid foam shield before, then? I have, and after feeling the waffled shield with a many sturdy punches vand kicks while against a cement wall, I'm convinced it will pass.
My question to YOU is have you ever used or felt a waffled shield?
Tell you what: As I said before, I'll test out this shield If it fails I'll say so and go with the common technique. Isn't that a hugew part of foamsmithing? Testing out new ideas and reporting pros and cons? I'll do just that.
Rizel
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Arrakis » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:39 pm

You aren't listening.

You aren't innovating a new design that will improve tech and increase the lifespan of gear; you're trying out a method for what is admittedly skimping on foam to save money and a little weight (as though core weight isn't the bulk of the weight on any cored shield).

Quit it.
Arrakis

Postby p_quick » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:35 pm

Rizel wrote:You assume I've never used a solid foam shield before, then? I have, and after feeling the "waffled" shield with a many sturdy punches vand kicks while against a cement wall, I'm convinced it will pass.
My question to YOU is have you ever used or felt a "waffled" shield?
Tell you what: As I said before, I'll test out this shield If it fails I'll say so and go with the common technique. Isn't that a hugew part of foamsmithing? Testing out new ideas and reporting pros and cons? I'll do just that.

i'm not assuming anything of the sort. maybe you should reread my last paragraph i wrote. I invited you to do just what your last post ended with.

oh yea, and i fixed your post for you :) you are welcome.
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Big King Jimmy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:58 pm

If I just mail you 6 bucks will use just buy an extra roll and stop being such a cheap *?
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Rizel » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:06 pm

To quote my economics teacher: "I doo wut ah wawnt!"
A friend and I practiced with our waffled shields today. Nobody's fingers were lost.

Oh, and Jimmy? If I mail you a fist, will you punch yourself repeatedly with it and quit being such a floppy *?

Seriously. You guys are getting terrinbly worked up. If something is wrong, let me explode because of my faulty shield and I'll learn from it. Honestly. Of course, if anything, I'd sooner toss this shield for it's core; it's 1/4" plywood for pete's sake. I'll make a better sheild out of this mythical techply stuff some time, and depending on my supply of foam, I may or may not choose waffling. That is, to be honest, the reason I bothered witrh waffling. Yes, I know, only $6, but when you're jobless and owe collectively over a grand to folks you hardly know uyou may better understand my position.
Rizel
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Poo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:11 am

its not you getting hurt by the shield we're worried about. you need to worry about hurting me with it. we'd have problems.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby debuenzo » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:45 pm

To the original poster,
Add a layer of blue foam on the core where your arm will go when you are holding the shield. Also, when measuring your straps, take this arm padding on the back of your shield into consideration; otherwise, you might make your arm straps too snug.
Brother of the Black Company
debuenzo
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 30 Aug 2003
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and shield

Postby p_quick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:43 am

Rizel wrote:
Seriously. You guys are getting terrinbly worked up. If something is wrong, let me explode because of my faulty shield and I'll learn from it.

I'm calmer then you are dude
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby bo1 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:34 am

JESUS walter will you calm down?

calmer than you dude. calmer than you
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby p_quick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:30 am

i'm finishing my coffee
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Arrakis » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:39 am

Peter is non-collinear.
Arrakis

Postby p_quick » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:47 pm

you see that's funny because my papa is a math professor.

:)
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Satanaka » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:49 pm

I in no way mean to sound like an ass- if money is so tight that $6 keeps you from having a shield that is MUCH better and safe- then I'd say that you don't need to be fighting- But working.

If your in High school or college- I can understand that money is tight. peopel have been giving you good advice. I don't think anyone is trying to miss lead you.

If I was very tight on $$ as you described- I think that if I made a shield it would be a round shield so that one roll of blue foam could have taken care of it.

But- to each their own- best of luck

Rizel wrote:To quote my economics teacher: "I doo wut ah wawnt!"
A friend and I practiced with our waffled shields today. Nobody's fingers were lost.

Oh, and Jimmy? If I mail you a fist, will you punch yourself repeatedly with it and quit being such a floppy *?

Seriously. You guys are getting terrinbly worked up. If something is wrong, let me explode because of my faulty shield and I'll learn from it. Honestly. Of course, if anything, I'd sooner toss this shield for it's core; it's 1/4" plywood for pete's sake. I'll make a better sheild out of this mythical techply stuff some time, and depending on my supply of foam, I may or may not choose waffling. That is, to be honest, the reason I bothered witrh waffling. Yes, I know, only $6, but when you're jobless and owe collectively over a grand to folks you hardly know uyou may better understand my position.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Jevins » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:18 am

Wow. I feel like I've gotten a lot of good advice, and I appreciate it greatly.

I think, personally, I'll stay away from the waffling. First off, I feel like the foam I cut will stick better if it's just three solid pads of blue foam, rather than strips that might come apart if not glued completely kosher.
Jevins
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Jevins » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:24 am

Oh, and I've been making weapons for a solid 5 years now, so I'm not too worried about experience.

I've tried coreless (well, with no WOODEN cores, at least) shields, but I don't like the way they feel. They feel too flimsy, and too light. I like some weight on a sheild, but not a whole lot. I want to be able to keep fighting, so I think I'll go with techply (if I can find some in this town), and just add a little extra weight using foam. I like having a bit of weight on the sheild and feeling more sturdy.
Jevins
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Satanaka » Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:37 am

First 4 shields I made- were solid wood- very heavy and they are still around and in good shape- heavy as heck- but still going- it's great to train with and not to many people are going to knock you over or kick it with any sucess.

Hmmmm.... i need to drag those out and get my quires using them.... yeah- that's it...

Thanks for reminding me! :devil:

Jevins wrote:Oh, and I've been making weapons for a solid 5 years now, so I'm not too worried about experience.

I've tried coreless (well, with no WOODEN cores, at least) shields, but I don't like the way they feel. They feel too flimsy, and too light. I like some weight on a sheild, but not a whole lot. I want to be able to keep fighting, so I think I'll go with techply (if I can find some in this town), and just add a little extra weight using foam. I like having a bit of weight on the sheild and feeling more sturdy.
Satanaka
Ninja
Ninja

Postby Aleksii » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:56 pm

If you are having trouble finding techply try surply at home depot, it is only three ply though.
Adam Ankle Breakler of God Squad

The Hammer that drives the Nail

Alexander the White, First Cleric of the Wizards Council
Aleksii
Thug
Thug

Realm: Soon to be Babylon
Unit: God Squad
Favorite Fighting Styles: Embarrassing

Postby zeroek » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:48 pm

I was directed to this thread from another forum for Peter the Quicks all foam Shield build. And I bring it back up to the top to request pictures of what your shield looks like on the strap side. I'm trying to make my own all foam round and want a good successful build.
zeroek
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 May 2008
Realm: Mittelmarch
Unit: Legion of the Dragoons
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword_Board

Postby p_quick » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:11 pm

hey zeroek,

sorry i didn't get this up sooner. I just now saw your post because a friend wanted my instructions.

so for what its worth and almost 8 months late here ya go

Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:57 am

The funny thing about Rizel's * is that he says he's joblees and $1000 in debt and thinks thats hard. HA. You have no idea what kind of debt you're going to in to whom in the near future. $1000. **** hilarious.
Thanks for the pic's Pete. Your instructions all make sense now.
I'm going to do this later this week on my 36". I used Zip ties and leather. I was working great, but I snapped a zip tie in the cold Saturday. I like the way your using Chain connecters. Clever Rouge
Yeah, that's right rouge.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby p_quick » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:09 pm

haha, thanks FB =)

rouge out
Sir Peter the Quick

Amyr
p_quick
Gladiator
Gladiator

Postby Blackwolfe » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:07 pm

Hey Peter, is the shield in those pics right side up? So your arm is at the lower third of the shield?
BLACKWOLFE
Founder of the Sword Coast Realm, Ventura CA
Blackwolfe
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 1964
Realm: Sword Coast
Unit: AoD

Postby p_quick » Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:28 pm

yep is sure is. =)
Sir Peter the Quick