Scythe Quandury

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Scythe Quandury

Postby Embara Cayosin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:59 pm

humm i noticed you dont see many scythes on the field due to the easiality of failure
i also noticed that most scytes are made with pvc pipe and pvc angle joints. i see where this fails epicaly
but i was thinking on a core structural standpoint that a flexable joint might fix this.

say if you where to use a flexable tubeing like a garden hose or a pice of thatblack drainage pipe to connect. then fill the cavity to not make it to flexable with something like an expanding feam sealent or silicon caulcking. that may extened the life of the scythe.

then you have to look at the foam padding around the joint. it has to be flexable enough not to rip but strong enough not to whip around and become limp. this could be fixed by adding a thicker box of foam around the join.

but i feel that the joint in which the core goes in an angle is the main problum. if it where to be made flexable instead of solid that will solve most of the snaping issues. but due to the movement of the core the joint area will need to be re padded.

this is a small price compared to rebuilding an entire scythe
In Draconic
Loreat mrith tiichi - Die with honor
Valignat ekess vignar - Burn to Ash
lleisgar de lowan - Rise from death

Sieglatan wrote: it looks like you killed and skinned a tiny cow, and riveted the hide onto it.

Ignatius wrote:I love that he just got put in time out for a month!!!
Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 02 Jun 2009
Realm: dur-demarion

Re: Scythe Quandury

Postby Cade » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:11 pm

So a Flail Scythe...

Pretty sure that's going to fail bro.

And Scythes aren't on the field because they are hard to keep together. You don't see them because in Belegarth, they just don't work. Try and think of how you would use one on the field, and then think of how you would counter it.

You will find that you are very limited with what you can do with such a weapon...I.E. the strikes you can throw, and the blocks you can manage...and you will find that your opponents have far more counters, most of them very simple, to your scythe than you have strikes.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby Embara Cayosin » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:20 pm

kadis wrote:So a Flail Scythe...

Pretty sure that's going to fail bro.

it wont be like a flail. the felxable joint is made out of a hollow material that will give a little more movement than a a pvc angle joint. it is the filled with a stifinaning agent like foam sealent or silicon calking to give it stringth. the thery is to act like a door hing that flexes up and down slightly on impact instead of putting all the force on the joint it disperces the force in the flex and takes moste of the stress of of the joint
In Draconic
Loreat mrith tiichi - Die with honor
Valignat ekess vignar - Burn to Ash
lleisgar de lowan - Rise from death

Sieglatan wrote: it looks like you killed and skinned a tiny cow, and riveted the hide onto it.

Ignatius wrote:I love that he just got put in time out for a month!!!
Embara Cayosin
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 02 Jun 2009
Realm: dur-demarion

Postby Cade » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:54 pm

Yea i understand what your talking about, but a joint that flexes like that isn't going to solve your problem. It's just going to transfer it. Generally when joints break, it really isn't the joint, its the material holding the joint onto whatever your joining that breaks.

So while having a joint that flexes may seem like a good idea on paper, unless you build it like a break pad system, which isn't really possible given the size your talking about, its simply going to transfer any and all stress right to whatever is connecting that joint to the haft of your weapon.

In order to make that part of your weapon deal with the stress, it would have to flex too. The end result is an entire weapon that flexes, and you don't want that.

The second problem with that idea is that once you hit someone once with it, how does the weapon spring back so that the second hit flexes the joint as well. If the weapon is flexible enough to spring back on it's own, then the flex joint is far too flexible and its not reducing any stress on the weapon at all. If its strong enough to actually reduce the stress, it won't spring back and your second hit isn't going to flex at all.

This is all assuming that you could convince someone to pass a weapon that flexed like that to begin with.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Postby Poo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:43 am

hah i love it when newbies give advice.. its so cute.

scythes aren't on the field because they're useless. If you want to be cheesy and wrap shields build a flail, or get some skill and learn to feint and wrap.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 0-10-2008
Realm: Forodwaith
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear.

Postby Cade » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:28 am

Ahh Poo, your so edgy and cool. Your like House without the limp.

<3
Cade
Brute
Brute

Postby Gambit Redband » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:27 am

I wonder if this was the same idea behind the flail with a curved haft I saw at Wolfpack Opener this year. Ridiculous.
Uruk Hai Ravager
Gambit Redband
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 2007
Realm: Gilead
Unit: Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: S/B, Spear, Flo

Postby calebmonkey » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:02 pm

look go ahead and build it and we will check it and see how it fails and the money spent making it will not go to getting yourself decent gear
Lt. Chavez B.o.F.
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
all around nice guy

Forkbeard wrote:When new people demand that I explain the wierd parts of our rules and they do not like my answers, I just tell them that the majority of the smart people in this sport said so, that's why. Shut up and fight.
calebmonkey
Hulkamaniac

Started Fighting: 1- 0- 0
Realm: avalon
Unit: BoF
Favorite Fighting Styles: single blue and cold soda

Postby Poo » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:11 pm

kadis wrote:Ahh Poo, your so edgy and cool. Your like House without the limp.

<3

i ****' hate house.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Arrakis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:02 pm

Ah, but Poo! That's exactly what HOUSE would say!

For real, scythes suck. Why would you want to fight with an unmodified farming implement? That's like trying to fight with a gaffer's hook, a fishing pole, or a shepherd's crook. Why? You can have a perfectly nice sword or spear or glaive!
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:26 pm

Historically, anybody who had any time available to modify their scythes into something more useful made the alterations. If you want a "war scythe", make this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_scythe
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Tonaho » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:24 pm

I've been thinking of making a war scythe so I could be proud of my successfully constructed scythe, but I have not the materials for such things, nor the attention span to pass up just making a standard glaive.
Observation: The dag mods seem to be afraid that we're going to raid their realms, burn their homes and steal their women. That's ridiculous, I would never burn their homes.
SirMADOG wrote:Riot cops are a special breed. They like to show up to work early to beat the crowds.
Tonaho
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 14 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Krayts
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear/Blue-Green Dagger

Postby semtater » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:15 pm

But the thing guys, it's not the fact that the scythe sucks when it comes to combat. It's the fact that you have a SCYTHE!!!! When nobody else on the field has one it makes it that much more epic.

We should get together sometime Tonaho and try it. We could have a lot of fun owning the noobs that can't block polearms. XD
Our Holy Master will lead us onward! I fight my hardest with my sickle in hand.
Lupin wrote:FB was right.
semtater
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 17 Jan 2009
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sickle and Sword!

Postby Poo » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:16 pm

no, its not epic. it makes you look like a **** tool.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Azgarehta » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:40 pm

People who think Scythes are epic weapons are the same people who would take a quarterstaff and turn it into a double flail.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby Cade » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:45 pm

semtater wrote:But the thing guys, it's not the fact that the scythe sucks when it comes to combat. It's the fact that you have a SCYTHE!!!! When nobody else on the field has one it makes it that much more epic.

We should get together sometime Tonaho and try it. We could have a lot of fun owning the noobs that can't block polearms. XD

No offense bro but if you want to look epic, do a really kickass job on your garb, and go kill people with a sword and board. No one is going to give you props for catching a few noobs off guard.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Postby Nikola the Bear-hat » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:06 pm

Poo wrote:no, its not epic. it makes you look like a **** tool.

A tool making tools look like tools. I like where this is going...
Fighter of Forodwaith
Running on a 3:1 mixture of hatred and spite since 1992.
Does a rocking horse have a hickory *?
Here at PLANTERS, we're passionate about fresh tasting nuts. In fact, our nuts taste Famously Fresh... nut after nut after nut.
Nikola the Bear-hat
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2009
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swordnboard, Red

Postby calebmonkey » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:37 pm

its spiraling downward that's where its going
Lt. Chavez B.o.F.
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
all around nice guy

Forkbeard wrote:When new people demand that I explain the wierd parts of our rules and they do not like my answers, I just tell them that the majority of the smart people in this sport said so, that's why. Shut up and fight.
calebmonkey
Hulkamaniac

Started Fighting: 1- 0- 0
Realm: avalon
Unit: BoF
Favorite Fighting Styles: single blue and cold soda

Postby Tonaho » Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:44 pm

Semtater, a war scythe would best be translated as a single-edged, stabby glaive. Nothing needing gotten together for or anything special tried, as it's just... a glaive.
Observation: The dag mods seem to be afraid that we're going to raid their realms, burn their homes and steal their women. That's ridiculous, I would never burn their homes.
SirMADOG wrote:Riot cops are a special breed. They like to show up to work early to beat the crowds.
Tonaho
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 14 May 2009
Unit: Krayts
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear/Blue-Green Dagger

Postby semtater » Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:18 am

Yeah I guess. But I definitely think I want to go polearm after I've gone just a few more months working with sword and board. Master the spear, then the glaive, and I would have a lot more fun in combat. Lol
Our Holy Master will lead us onward! I fight my hardest with my sickle in hand.
Lupin wrote:FB was right.
semtater
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 17 Jan 2009
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sickle and Sword!

Postby linkicecold3000 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:07 pm

heres how i made my scythe (by the way i use this weapon often and it doesn't break and i am 6ft tall and 140 pounds and swing pretty hard)

stuffs you will need for the weapon
3/8th inch pvc
1/4th inch fiberglass rod
a pool noodle
duct tape
glue (only if you want to use glue)
blue camp pad
open cell foam
two quarters

stuffs you will need to make the weapon
a drill with a 1/4th inch bit
something to cut foam with
something to cut pvc and fiberglass with

now get started!

k first cut your pvc to the length you want (use 3/8 inch pvc)
now prepare the pvc (put a coin on the tips)
k now drill a 1/4th inch hole 5 and 1/2 inches from the top in one side of the pvc
now make the hole taller so its about 1 and 1/2 times as big
now cut a 1/4th inch fiberglass rod to how long you want your blade (i used a driveway marker that i got from menards)
now put the driveway marker into the hole you drilled and tape it onto the pvc (glue doesn't work)
take a pool noodle cut it so its 15 inches long then cut a slit down the center of it on one side
now cut a 1 inch box starting at the top and ending 6 and 1/2 inches from the top
put the pool noodle on the pvc (tape it on so it doesn't move too much or just glue it)
now cut two triangles that are 6 inches tall and however long you cut the fiberglass minus a 3/8ths inch but instead of having a point at the tip cut it so it has a flat inch and 1/2 tall bunt tip
now tape the foam to each other so it looks like one inch thick triangle
and slide the fiberglass rod through the bottom of the foam triangle all the way through so that it ends right at the bunt part of the foam (and yes it will go into the pool noodle)
now tape the foam to the pool noodle (or glue it)
now cut two inch wide (not 2in two inch) and however long you cut the fiberglass plus a half inch lengths of blue camp pad and tape (or glue) them to the bottom of what is going to be the blade (and if you swing hard like i do put a layer of open cell foam between the two lengths of closed cell foam)
now your almost done now put some camp pad on the tip (you know the blunt tip of the blade?) just big enough to cover the blunt tip then put open cell on it (the same size) then another layer of camp pad over the closed cell (i would suggest taping this on cause the open cell will just absorb the glue)
now put a cap of closed cell over the tip of the pool noodle
and add a pommel and a cloth covering and your done!
hope it works for you
"If you want to get better you must try new things. and if you are not very experienced then shut up and listen to the people who are".
linkicecold3000
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 18 Jun 2009
Realm: Ganga
Favorite Fighting Styles: Really anything that you hand me.

Postby Cade » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:01 pm

linkicecold3000 wrote:
before you do anything think if an idiot would do it then don't do it.

I don't know what game you play is, but i promise you that i would destroy a scythe made like that within half a practice. My guess is that your from one of the stick tap games.

What you might consider rough on a weapon, isn't what we consider rough on a weapon. And as much as a scythe might sound like a super cool leet weapon, you won't get very far with it here in Belegarth. From your description, there isn't near enough foam on that weapon for it to pass weapons check here let alone last against anyone even half way aggressive. That thing would get snapped so quick it would make your head spin.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Postby linkicecold3000 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:15 pm

kadis wrote:
linkicecold3000 wrote:

I don't know what game you play is, but i promise you that i would destroy a scythe made like that within half a practice. My guess is that your from one of the stick tap games.

What you might consider rough on a weapon, isn't what we consider rough on a weapon. And as much as a scythe might sound like a super cool leet weapon, you won't get very far with it here in Belegarth. From your description, there isn't near enough foam on that weapon for it to pass weapons check here let alone last against anyone even half way aggressive. That thing would get snapped so quick it would make your head spin.
well it works for me and thats good enough
"If you want to get better you must try new things. and if you are not very experienced then shut up and listen to the people who are".
linkicecold3000
Underling
Underling

Postby Nikola the Bear-hat » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:47 pm

linkicecold3000 wrote:well it works for me and thats good enough

Wrong.
Fighter of Forodwaith
Running on a 3:1 mixture of hatred and spite since 1992.
Does a rocking horse have a hickory *?
Here at PLANTERS, we're passionate about fresh tasting nuts. In fact, our nuts taste Famously Fresh... nut after nut after nut.
Nikola the Bear-hat
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2009
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swordnboard, Red

Postby Cade » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:50 pm

linkicecold3000 wrote:
kadis wrote:
linkicecold3000 wrote:

well it works for me and thats good enough

By that logic i could bring a fun noodle out onto the field and just go to town. That would work for me, but it sure as hell won't pass weapons check.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Postby No'Vak » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:07 pm

This thread is so full of win its insane.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Poo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:41 pm

or so full of fail.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby No'Vak » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:15 pm

Poo wrote:or so full of fail.

QFT
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Jay HellHammer » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:16 pm

If you want to build a scythe could you do the world a favor and find a fire to go die in. kthanxbye.
Sir Misti wrote:7)Jay I ::heart:: you! His answer is the best again! I will copy and paste it again just so everyone can read it and hopefully live by it.
Jay HellHammer
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: HellHammer

Postby Sir Anastasia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:55 am

Seriously Vets, Why the hostility?
How the hell do any of you tenured people have a realm to belong to? If I acted this way in my region, no one would ever join my group or come to my events. There are tactful ways to encourage better weapons development.

AND noobs...if a vet says it can't be done then you are obligated to bring your creation to a REGIONAL or NATIONAL event to prove them wrong, then when they politely break it or fail it, you can see why they were so smug about the whole * thing. If they don't break it during the hit test or they don't fail it, well then you have something.

-AoC
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Azgarehta » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Anastasia, I think your avatar is pretty.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby No'Vak » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:46 pm

Azgarehta wrote:Anastasia, I think your avatar is pretty.

I just pooped a little.
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sir Anastasia » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:29 pm

Thanks, It's a self portrait and it's on my shield.
-AoC
Cofounder and Marshal of Andúril
Cofounder Battle for the Ring
Order of the Shining Tower
Order of the Western Flame

See you at Battle for the Ring in January www.battleforthering.com
Sir Anastasia
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Aug 2001
Realm: Marshal of Anduril
Unit: Wardens
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board, Extreme Taunting

Postby Poo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:51 pm

Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Seriously Vets, Why the hostility?
How the hell do any of you tenured people have a realm to belong to? If I acted this way in my region, no one would ever join my group or come to my events. There are tactful ways to encourage better weapons development.

AND noobs...if a vet says it can't be done then you are obligated to bring your creation to a REGIONAL or NATIONAL event to prove them wrong, then when they politely break it or fail it, you can see why they were so smug about the whole * thing. If they don't break it during the hit test or they don't fail it, well then you have something.

-AoC

because they're **** tards. I'll be mean to tards because i don't want them in my realm. All of my realm mates seem to like it this way. By all means noobs, bring your **** to an event, try to him me with it, and i'll show you how to break a weapon.
Insanity at it's finest
Fire starter
Riot maker
Moon stricken
Animal in need
Bad seed
Untamable
Beast
Poo
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby linkicecold3000 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:56 pm

Poo wrote:
Anastasia of Chamonix wrote:Seriously Vets, Why the hostility?

-AoC

because they're **** tards. I'll be mean to tards because i don't want them in my realm. All of my realm mates seem to like it this way. By all means noobs, bring your **** to an event, try to him me with it, and i'll show you how to break a weapon.
well i mean if you don't like scythes then just don't use then or when you coment on how there bad or somthing at least dont be a ***** about it.
linkicecold3000
Underling
Underling

Postby varadin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:07 pm

Youve got to understand Poo is a guy who takes fighting seriously. He wants everyone out there to be their best and to try their hardest. If you go out with a bad weapon cause it makes you the most "coolest ninja cyborg" ever you arent doing your best. Its like if i go out left handed or if i go around not moving my left leg for some reason because i think it makes my character cooler. It sucks the fun out for the people who want to fight for fightings sake.

So go and do whatever you want but when a guy like Poo or Myself see you we will do everything we can to make you realize that youll never be a good fighter with a scythe and to go get a real * weapon that works in Foam fighting.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby linkicecold3000 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:32 pm

Varadin wrote:Youve got to understand Poo is a guy who takes fighting seriously. He wants everyone out there to be their best and to try their hardest. If you go out with a bad weapon cause it makes you the most "coolest ninja cyborg" ever you arent doing your best. Its like if i go out left handed or if i go around not moving my left leg for some reason because i think it makes my character cooler. It sucks the fun out for the people who want to fight for fightings sake.

So go and do whatever you want but when a guy like Poo or Myself see you we will do everything we can to make you realize that youll never be a good fighter with a scythe and to go get a real * weapon that works in Foam fighting.
ok first i don't use a scythe to look cool and second i just play belegarth to have fun (and just fyi i dont even own any garb i just barrow when i have to lol i mean i just play for fun)
linkicecold3000
Underling
Underling

Postby Derian » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Wooooooo.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Return to Foam Smithing