Mini crossbow / crossbow pistol?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Mini crossbow / crossbow pistol?

Postby Tarin » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:12 pm

Would a crossbow like this be legal?

This particular model is 50 lbs draw so I'd have to figure out how to fix that....but assuming it was weak enough, there isn't any size specifications in the rules. More importantly, it's a single handed bow, and the pistol-style design might be considered too "modern"?

For example could you have 2 or 3 of these pre-loaded, tucked under your cloak? (they're pretty cheap, so that wouldn't be prohibitively expensive).
Tarin
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 11 Jul 2009
Realm: Salamandastron
Favorite Fighting Styles: 2 short swords

Re: Mini crossbow / crossbow pistol?

Postby Soo Ma Tai » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:22 pm

I see no issue other than the poundage. As it stands now, you'd have to bring it down to 15 lbs. and that would render it nearly ineffective. You could prolly throw an arrow farther by hand than shooting it out of a 15 lb. x-bow.
Soo Ma Tai, Warmaster
Sir Fancy Pants
Uruk-Hai, Horde, White Skull, VB
Antler Up, Herd Win!
Soo Ma Tai
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Stygia
Unit: Western Uruk-Hai- White Skull- HoRDe- VB

Postby Oznog » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:17 am

Yeah, they're already quite weak, significantly less than "half draw", and IIRC the poundages they list are significantly higher than reality. If it were actually made 15 lbs, then it's be much more impact to just throw the arrow.

It's actually not as easy to sling a pistol bow as you think. The bow being 90 deg from the handle means it'll never sit flat anywhere you put it. The movement tends to pull out the arrow if it's swinging around or brushing against part of your body.

I've shown off a trick where you pull it way back and throw the whole thing like you're chucking a javelin, but pull the trigger and hold onto the crossbow instead of actually throwing. That actually got a pretty remarkable range off of it, but it's hard to do in reality, fairly unaimed, and not stopping your throw until the very end with that weight in your hand is hell on your elbow.
Oznog
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Tarin » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:23 pm

You say these bows are usually rated higher than their actual draw strength? In that case, how do marshals determine whether its too strong? Also, side note...does it count if you throw arrows?
Tarin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Kage » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:03 pm

No thrown arrows don't count.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Postby Nibenon » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:45 pm

Tarin wrote:For example could you have 2 or 3 of these pre-loaded, tucked under your cloak?

sounds preety flippin dangerous to me to be running around a field with that....
Leader of Valrim, Chapter of The Lowlands
Squire of The Lowlands
Nibenon
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2006
Realm: The Lowlands
Unit: Rangers of Valrim
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, flourentine

Postby No'Vak » Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:57 pm

Sounds really **** cheesy if you ask me.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Oznog » Wed Nov 25, 2009 6:07 pm

Tarin wrote:You say these bows are usually rated higher than their actual draw strength? In that case, how do marshals determine whether its too strong? Also, side note...does it count if you throw arrows?

The bows may not be the 50# or 80# advertised, but no way is it 15#.
Actually the key is not the chu-ko-nu repeating crossbow, but to just make a big rack of pistols.

Yeah, I personally dislike pistol crossbows for LARP use. They don't replicate the form or function of a crossbow very well. I used one a few times for kicks. There was a castle wall like chin-high that I couldn't really shoot over with my regular crossbow, so I loaded that up and held it over the wall, shooting blindly gangsta-style yelling "YEAH BIYACH! That's how we do things in MY neighborhood!" I have no idea if I hit anyone, and I don't care, 'cause it was funny.
Oznog
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Dawnbringer » Thu Nov 26, 2009 5:41 pm

Lol sometimes you only need to be funny to be effective
Dawnbringer
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2009
Realm: Strathclyde
Unit: Paladins of Strathclyde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Glaive

Postby Othello » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:24 pm

Sounds to me like someone has been reading some forgotten realms books. However amazing the idea, I think that having 2 or 3 under your cloak would become very annoying and probably get in your way if you're fighting. My $0.2 CAD.

Cheers,
O
There is no such thing as innocence, only degrees of guilt.
A plea of innocence is guilty of wasting my time.
Othello
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 17 Sep 2009
Realm: Nan Nehelduin
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board.

Postby Sieglatan » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:58 am

I always thought it would be fun to have a detachable mini-crossbow on the underside of a shield. Sort of like Gurunberd from Berserk!, but you know, legal. However, the core problem keeps going back to the whole infeasability thing.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Realm: Andor
Unit: Not Applicable
Favorite Fighting Styles: Zweihänder

Postby Tarin » Fri Nov 27, 2009 2:04 am

Lol...well it sounds like crossbows are pretty pointless under the current rules. But uh....what if you took a bow, mounted a handle and a stock on it, and held it like a crossbow (except you'd fire it like a bow, with no trigger involved).....would that be legal? Caus if you ask me, crossbows are much better looking.
Tarin
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Caleidah » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:39 am

Sieglatan wrote:...Berserk...infeasible...

I see no issues with this at all...
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Nibenon » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:51 am

Tarin wrote:a bow, mounted a handle and a stock on it, and held it like a crossbow (except you'd fire it like a bow, with no trigger involved)

sounds like an abomination to me...
just use a bow like it was meant to be used and how history has proven it to be effective, no need for a cross-bow/bow thingy
Leader of Valrim, Chapter of The Lowlands
Squire of The Lowlands
Nibenon
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2006
Realm: The Lowlands
Unit: Rangers of Valrim
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, flourentine

Postby Tiberius » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:22 am

I think it would be funny to see. the only reason x-bows are any good in bel is to have for close quarter fighting. The x-bows are set up to be half draw so the closer you are the better. I used one at Rag this year during Osgiliath in the line and it was great. the only down fall was that i couldn't fire all arrows only the bolts made for the x-bow.
Tiberius Petronia Scipio
Tiberius
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 2006
Realm: Lowlands
Unit: The House of Scipio
Favorite Fighting Styles: I'm Roman so guess

Postby Erutious Dracuni » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:00 pm

In my old clan we had a group that went rogue, about 5 people calling them selves Clan Chelchares, who used these bow. My old clan leader could usually outshoot them with a bow but after a few times of (cough) being shot in the face with those little bolts it was decided that they would no longer be used. They also presented the problem of aim. These things are nasty at close range, You come in on a guy with a scimitar who has his arm behind his back and think "Alright, someones lost an arm, easy kill." and he pulls the not dead arm out and blasts you in the forehead with a tiny cross bow it kinda sucks. At a distance though, not so much. You have about 5 bolts fired early laying in the middle of the field as they didnt quite go as far as intended. The other problem is they missfire.... A LOT. Having owned one for a number of years I finally tossed it in favor of a compact bow. You are more likely to shoot yourself in the leg while running or have the cord flop over the bolt and the bolt go no where. And the pull comes as low as 25 pounds but even that was pretty weak. There a nasty surprise, but the chances are good the thing will miss fire, shoot you in the leg, or not go far enough.
Ever went to the ER at 5 in the afternoon with a tiny plastic bolt bolt in your leg cause the stupid thing missfired hanging off your waist? Not a good time
A wise man opens his eyes and closes his mouth, a foolish man closes his eyes and opens his mouth, a forum poster closes both, shuts off his brain, takes a shot, and hopes the gods will sort it out later
Erutious Dracuni
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 10 Jun 2004
Realm: Free
Unit: Sellsword
Favorite Fighting Styles: Opportunist, Hidden Blade

Postby No'Vak » Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:50 pm

I would have been extremely angry at him for faking an injury.

Since you know, if you do that you have it.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sieglatan » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:19 pm

Erutious Dracuni wrote:Ever went to the ER at 5 in the afternoon with a tiny plastic bolt bolt in your leg cause the stupid thing missfired hanging off your waist? Not a good time

When I was a beginning fighter, prancing about with a shinai with the SCA lights division of my high school, one of our 'veteran' members decided to surprise our leader with a brand new projectile weapon.... So we started practice as usual with marching and running drills, when we see this guy setting something up on the far end of the field, covering it with a sheet. We stopped, and waited for him to unveil his new 'superweapon'...
It was a rocket.
An Estes rocket that used 120psi compressed air to achieve thrust. He had mounted the thing on a telescope stand, allowing it a fair degree of control over angle and traverse. The rocket itself had a ****-head foam cover culled from pipe insulation. After laughing at it for a good minute, the leader failed it without getting within throwing distance of the contraption. He then turned and started to walk away.
We began training again, when we heard a loud pop and a shrill whistling. I turned to see that the vet thought it would be fun to shoot the rocket anyways- at the leader. The flying marital aid screamed close enough by the leader's head that it grazed the hair on the side of his head, and then, at a distance of about 500 feet, buried itself into the ground, its r-rated head sinking into grass six inches. Upon inspection, the sharp pointed tip of the rocket had sliced completely through the single layer of foam, looking like a lawn dart.
I have yet to see someone screamed at with greater rage and conviction since.
oh, and the 'vet' never came back
Last edited by Sieglatan on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sieglatan
Brute
Brute

Realm: Andor
Unit: Not Applicable
Favorite Fighting Styles: Zweihänder

Postby Rasheab » Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:47 pm

Hawaii: Manoa
Washington: Gondor

There are no staffs in Belegarth. Because of how they are constructed, they are really Pugil Sticks.
Rasheab
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Gondor [WA] fomerly Manoa [HI]
Favorite Fighting Styles: Long spear
Whatever is in reach.

Postby No'Vak » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:57 pm

Imho that would be very acceptable to have beat him down with fisticuffs.
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Tiberius » Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:58 am

Erutious Dracuni wrote:Ever went to the ER at 5 in the afternoon with a tiny plastic bolt bolt in your leg cause the stupid thing missfired hanging off your waist? Not a good time

no cause you don't hang it in a firing position unless you are mildly retarded, and on that note wear armour and no plastic things are gonna send you to the ER.
Tiberius Petronia Scipio
Tiberius
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 2006
Realm: Lowlands
Unit: The House of Scipio
Favorite Fighting Styles: I'm Roman so guess

Postby No'Vak » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:17 am

That is the **** dumbest reason I have ever heard to wear armor.
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Arrakis » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:08 am

Real-world protection is the dumbest reason you've ever heard to wear functional armor?
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby varadin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:11 pm

Arrakis wrote:Real-world protection is the dumbest reason you've ever heard to wear functional armor?

Wait its not only for looks? MY FANTASY WORLD IS CRUSHED
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby No'Vak » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Why the **** are you getting your own plastic **** in your leg.

I don't know, I guess it strikes a cord with me.
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Azgarehta » Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:10 pm

I'm pretty sure that crossbows can be made safer through more rigorous testing, but only if they are taken under experimental status and the current rules scrapped. That way, we'll have some way to experiment with them locally without weapons checkers failing them for 15# rule.
Azgarehta
Brute
Brute

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2009
Realm: Arnor
Unit: Black Company
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Running Away

Postby No'Vak » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:30 pm

You can already experiment with them locally, the BoW isn't some contractually binding agreement that makes you use its rules at practice.

As long as your realm is cool with it.

Don't you already do stabs and some other things different in Arnor?

Evidence.
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Sir James » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:54 pm

I use this exact crossbow, and with some modifications it can be extremely effective. I just removed the sights and put a belt clip in their place, and then I added a notch on the shelf to make the trigger stiffer and prevent misfires. I just stick it on my belt when I'm fighting sword and shield and pull it out when I see an easy target.

It passed at War of the Ring this year (they just did a hit test), and it was a whole lot of fun to use at a big event.

I even did a test video on this crossbow a few years ago: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 818902933#
Sir James
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 10 Jun 2002
Realm: Fugl Brenna
Unit: Gauvainydd
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board, Archery, Red

Postby Kraesh » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:37 pm

Sir James wrote:I even did a test video on this crossbow a few years ago: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 818902933#

Aww.. I was getting excited for a hit test on a face at 2 ft. :p

Anyway, that sounds like a lot of fun to have a short range, I ought to get one.

-Kraesh
Freeman of Ered Duath
House Darkblade
Kraesh
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 11 Mar 2010
Realm: Ered Duath
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, S&B, Florentine

Postby Tiercel » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:03 pm

Better that than to have a tiny plastic bolt (bolt) in your buddy's eye. If your weapon is going to pierce skin, it shouldn't be on the field.
Tiercel
Scout
Scout

Favorite Fighting Styles: Single Blue

Postby kennth » Mon May 23, 2011 7:16 am

Tarin wrote:Would a crossbow like this be legal?

This particular model is 50 lbs draw so I'd have to figure out how to fix that....but assuming it was weak enough, there isn't any size specifications in the rules. More importantly, it's a single handed bow, and the pistol-style design might be considered too "modern"?

For example could you have 2 or 3 of these pre-loaded, tucked under your cloak? (they're pretty cheap, so that wouldn't be prohibitively expensive).

Cool,, I like your crossbow, it's great.
Life is Beautiful, I love you all………
“A weapon like sword or cross bow is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands”
kennth
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 05 Jan 1987

Postby Peregrine » Mon May 23, 2011 8:28 am

kennth wrote:
Tarin wrote:Would a crossbow like this be legal?

Cool,, I like your crossbow, it's great.

it was cooler in june 2010 :)
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby Zee » Wed May 25, 2011 1:43 pm

On a vaguely related note. Does anyone know why we're going by the draw weight and not the ft per second the missile if traveling. Seems it'd be easier and safer to chrono bows and crossbows like you do paint ball guns. Could probably use the same equipment
Zee
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0-10-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Spear

Postby Caleidah » Wed May 25, 2011 2:38 pm

The two reasons that come to mind immediately:

Chronos are expensive. The current method of checking draw weight on a bow is fairly inexpensive (fish scale or similar tool).

You can't check the safety of an arrow with a chrono. You still have to shoot it against someone to be certain that it is safe for the field.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Zee » Wed May 25, 2011 3:04 pm

Caleidah wrote:The two reasons that come to mind immediately:

Chronos are expensive. The current method of checking draw weight on a bow is fairly inexpensive (fish scale or similar tool).

You can't check the safety of an arrow with a chrono. You still have to shoot it against someone to be certain that it is safe for the field.

A handheld chrono can be picked up for about $50-60, aim it would definately be safer to have a xft per second rule for mechanically driven missiles than a draw weight. Would also give you a starting point for related weapons like atlatl or slings if folks ever wanted them to help chucking javvies/rocks.

Chrono would definately need to be responsibility of the archer though.
Zee
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0-10-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Spear

Postby Oznog » Wed May 25, 2011 7:48 pm

Azgarehta wrote:I'm pretty sure that crossbows can be made safer through more rigorous testing, but only if they are taken under experimental status and the current rules scrapped. That way, we'll have some way to experiment with them locally without weapons checkers failing them for 15# rule.

It doesn't require a ton of research here. I already covered the details on what it takes to meet the standard of a Belegarth arrow full-drawn from a 35#*" bow from 20ft away.

Zee wrote:
Caleidah wrote:The two reasons that come to mind immediately:

A handheld chrono can be picked up for about $50-60, aim it would definately be safer to have a xft per second rule for mechanically driven missiles than a draw weight. Would also give you a starting point for related weapons like atlatl or slings if folks ever wanted them to help chucking javvies/rocks.

Chrono would definately need to be responsibility of the archer though.

Chronos are nice... I have one I used quite a bit. You need the proper lighting conditions to make an optical one like the Chrony work, but they work well.

You'd need to use a standard-weight test arrow that could be fired from any bow. Weight significantly changes arrow speed. Although technically the energy is the same when you shoot a heavier arrow slower, in general lighter/faster construction is much safer in my experience. You wouldn't want a standard which didn't take weight into account because then you could pass heavier bows by just putting on a lead-packed arrow to slow down the shot.

The basic formula, BTW, is a bow is basically fixed energy, and E=1/2*mass*velocity^2. So for a bow of half the poundage but the same weight of arrow, speed will be 0.707 of the baseline bow, not half. Also doubling the weight will decrease speed to 0.707 of the first shot on the same bow.
Oznog
Grunt
Grunt

Postby calebmonkey » Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:22 am

I wouldn't allow it,I've thought about doing the same thing but 2 things come to mind.
One, after watching your hit test those things fly way too crazy after a head shot,look at where the guy next to him in a line fight would be

second, a bow is rather large next to that crossbow and so you know your dealing with an archer from far away,hell even a full size xbow is clearly visable not so with your little pistol pete plan,see your going to want to draw itright at the last second which is almost exactly when someones charging you and some of those nice hard pointy cut into a eye face whatever and someone goes to the hospital ,you would be just as effective with well made rocks and a whole lot safer IMO

archery in this sport is dangerous enough with out cranking it up a notch
Lt. Chavez B.o.F.
Squire to Sir Chance the Tall
all around nice guy

Forkbeard wrote:When new people demand that I explain the wierd parts of our rules and they do not like my answers, I just tell them that the majority of the smart people in this sport said so, that's why. Shut up and fight.
calebmonkey
Hulkamaniac

Started Fighting: 1- 0- 0
Realm: avalon
Unit: BoF
Favorite Fighting Styles: single blue and cold soda

Postby wwebb » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:19 am

That was an awesome invention right there dude.
But isn't to small to hit a large object vulnerably? I think that it isn't enough to penetrate a lot of damage to someone or anything else that comes rushing to you.

But with regards to legality of that thing, I might wonder that it might be also illegal because it could also cause a damage on someone else.
"A cross bows?” Pigeon asked.
I left my battle-ax in my other jeans,” the man said."
— Brandon Mull (The Candy Shop War)
wwebb
Recruit
Recruit

Unit: Alpha
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tanker

Return to Foam Smithing