Viking punch shield

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Viking punch shield

Postby Somstog » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:07 pm

Alright so i've been doing my research lately and the most common shield for Viking invaders during the dark ages was a 2'6" to 3' round punch shield. once i get back home for winter break i'd like to start building it but how should i go about it? cored or coreless? i could use some thinner plywood (3/8?) for the core so it will still be structurally sound (for taking reds) but still light. or should i go with like 5 layers of blue and hope it doesn't taco?
There's no kill like overkill.
"Kabutops. I don't know what's going on with that thing, but i know that it's ****' awesome."
Somstog
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2008
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery
EVERYTHING

Re: Viking punch shield

Postby Cheeseheart » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:13 pm

I'd go with a coreless shield. There's no need for wood if your concern is about taco-ing. Five layers of WalMart foam will do the trick, especially with an appropriate handle...though it may curve some, which could be unfavorable to the aesthetic of the shield-type you are trying to create. There's some kind of "plankfoam" or some such thing that's coming in to the spotlight for shields, but I don't know much about it. I've only read that Fitz can provide it.
Sir Cheeseheart the Defiant
Founder of the Sith Empire
2nd Knight of the Western Flame

"I'll take character over reputation..."
Sith Happens
See you at Battle for the Ring XI: Journey to Hyrule
Cheeseheart
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2008
Realm: Korriban
Unit: First Order of the Sith Empire
Favorite Fighting Styles: Using the Dark Side

Postby PhotoJoe » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:18 pm

Somstog wrote:Alright so i've been doing my research lately and the most common shield for Viking invaders during the dark ages was a 2'6" to 3' round punch shield. once i get back home for winter break i'd like to start building it but how should i go about it? cored or coreless? i could use some thinner plywood (3/8?) for the core so it will still be structurally sound (for taking reds) but still light. or should i go with like 5 layers of blue and hope it doesn't taco?

My response comes to you as a user of a 26 inch 5 layer all foam punch shield:
If they're glued up right they don't taco. Mine is as flat as the concrete surface I had it laying on while the dap set.

I've got mixed feelings about all foam-shields. The thing lacks density/weight. I love it for running around while playing field games (capture the flag in particular.) I'm not as fond of it when fighting against reds, or even hard swinging blue users. There's so little weight to resist the impulse of a weapon impact being translated into movement of the shield. The little thing gets knocked around a lot. What energy you don't expend in carrying one will get used up in working harder to keep it in place during actual use. My next shield will have a substantial wooden core and the foam board will be saved for running games(or loaning to friends/realm-mates w/o a shield of their own.)
Hash wrote:ok guys, now that he's gone, we can all REALLY talk **** about him :D
PhotoJoe
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2010
Realm: None now
Favorite Fighting Styles: Swinging sticks & getting hit...lots

Postby The Great Gigsby » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:38 pm

PhotoJoe wrote:There's so little weight to resist the impulse of a weapon impact being translated into movement of the shield. The little thing gets knocked around a lot.
With a punch, you have to be much more proactive in blocking. Anticipate when and where they're going to swing and then block out and away from your body to disrupt the attack. If you just let it hang on your shoulder like you would a strap, you're not really using it right. They're not for mentally lazy fighters.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby PhotoJoe » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:54 pm

Giggles wrote:With a punch, you have to be much more proactive in blocking. Anticipate when and where they're going to swing and then block out and away from your body to disrupt the attack. If you just let it hang on your shoulder like you would a strap, you're not really using it right. They're not for mentally lazy fighters.

Exactly. Which, I feel, makes any energy saved by carrying a lighter all-foam shield more than matched by that expended in using one as a punch.
Hash wrote:ok guys, now that he's gone, we can all REALLY talk **** about him :D
PhotoJoe
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Fitz Caliston » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:19 pm

Polyetheene Plank foam is available through many places, I just happen to sell to Forkbeard's group in Utah so it's kinda spread. I can ship anywhere but if you have a local supplier you'll save on shipping.

As far as a Viking Punch shield I would go with a Poly foam shield that is Skinned in MC foam then Plastidip'ed. something like this:

You can either get the materials and build it yourself (I have the instructions and step by step walk through available) or if your looking to just buy a premade one from me I start them at $200 for one like that, 24-30 inch diameter.
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 1999
Realm: SLC UT
Unit: Gryphter

Postby PhotoJoe » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:51 pm

How much extra do you charge for one with a 2nd pizza?
PhotoJoe
Toadie
Toadie

Postby Fitz Caliston » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:55 pm

Hot and Ready $5.
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Not Relevant » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:00 pm

:idea:
Last edited by Not Relevant on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not Relevant
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 08 Aug 2010
Realm: ATD

Postby Fitz Caliston » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:39 am

Nope, building a PD shield is a matter of DAYS not hours. If your interested in learning just Friend me on Facebook, I have pictures of step by step on 6+ shields and different weapons, and I have comments on them in most cases as well, not to mention the basic walk through on Plastidip at http://amtwiki.net/amtwiki/index.php/Plastidip.
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby Not Relevant » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:14 pm

:idea:
Last edited by Not Relevant on Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Not Relevant
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 08 Aug 2010
Realm: ATD

Postby Fitz Caliston » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Nice! looks really clean!
Fitz Caliston
Backstabber
Backstabber

Postby GreenBeard Pyne » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Those are some nice looking shields! This is my version of a viking shield. My personal shield. Image
GreenBeard Pyne
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 07 Jul 2009
Realm: Higher Realms
Unit: Large
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B

Postby Pig » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:26 pm

GreenBeard Pyne wrote:Those are some nice looking shields! This is my version of a viking shield. My personal shield. Image

HOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
Pig
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 04 Jul 2011
Realm: Andor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Shield & Flail
Two-Handers
Archery

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:50 am

I just pooped a deuce. :blush:
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Return to Foam Smithing