Gold's Gym Workout Floor Mats

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Gold's Gym Workout Floor Mats

Postby duckymcfeelgood » Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 am

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-6- ... t/11089966

I looked around and didn't see anything about this. Please direct me if Im wrong.

I've been doing some work with this. Trying to see what others have found out about using it to see if I can learn anything else about the stuff.

As far as I can tell, and from what the website mentions, its a super lite EVA foam, Im guessing around .2lbs/ft if my estimations are correct. Smells like * so I don't know about this odor free claim. Cuts smooth under most knives and seems to DAP on with no issue. I was hitting myself with it only two layers thick and it didn't seems to hurt. And me and a buddy sort of sparred/smacked each other with them and it felt pretty fine. I don't intend to stop there. Its all getting 2lb wraps.

I was wondering what other people have noticed if they've used the stuff. Any tear issues, separation concerns, breakdown speed, blah blah blah.... let me know.
Day Events Coordinator/Head Herald - Ragnarok XXVII

"You're Ducky, the only Dagorhir ambassador with which Dunharrow is willing to negotiate. You'd have diplomatic immunity." Rather Large James
duckymcfeelgood
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2004
Realm: Byzantium
Unit: Arangweth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Single Blue

Re: Gold's Gym Workout Floor Mats

Postby Black Cat » Sun May 01, 2011 3:56 pm

I want more info on this foam too.

If it is good for what we do, I might start using it for constructing the "can" head and cap layers on my arrows. (my custom arrow design I need foam for is heavily based off of the Edhellen design) Then I'll use a good open cell foam for the striking surface. I remember reading on the boards about some stuff called "V90" recently.

I don't really have the budget to experiment with it though, so I'm not buying any unless it is confirmed to be a good foam under extended use.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby No'Vak » Sun May 01, 2011 5:20 pm

I've seen some stuff on the dag boards where they used it, i'll try to find it can't remember what it was about though.

But aside from that, its harder than blue foam right? Probably a good box.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Arrakis » Sun May 01, 2011 10:05 pm

I hear it's a decent box foam.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Isk » Mon May 02, 2011 12:04 am

+1 for use as box foam. I haven't used this exact foam, but similar and I've had good experience with it for the base layer. Definitely denser than a 2lb EVA. More like 4lb.
http://www.antirdearg.com
A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.
-- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis

I don't have hobbies, I'm just developing a robust post-apocalyptic survival skillset.
Isk
Berserker
Berserker

Realm: An Tir Dearg
Unit: Deshi
Favorite Fighting Styles: Foam Coated Death

Postby The Bruce » Mon May 02, 2011 5:59 am

Harbor Freight also sells similar mats that make excellent, sturdy box foam.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
~Frank Sinatra~

The Bruce
Monkey
Monkey

Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mildly drunk.

Postby Black Cat » Mon May 02, 2011 7:27 am

Arrakis wrote:I hear it's a decent box foam.

Sounds like this would be a good foam for arrows. I'll have to find a different foam to use for the second cap layer. (the cap layer the open-cell foam is applied to) But if this stuff is indeed a good or at least decent form of ~4# EVA, it'll work wonders for the foam "can" and the first cap layer. (the cap layer that goes over the top of the penny cap)

Anything I need to be concerned with while using a denser foam for these parts of the arrow? I only have experience building arrows with Edhellen kits.

My applied knowledge of arrow construction that I am using to design my own kits comes from disassembling the Edhellen-kit arrows I used back in the 2006 season. It was a long time ago, but I remember the unsettling findings all too well like it was yesterday I took the arrows apart. Suffice to say I will never use duct tape (of any grade) for the penny caps on my arrows again. I used Industrial grade duct tape and it took less than 2 years and only ~8 months of actual use for the tape to decompose to the point of being totally unsafe should the foam encasing it have failed. I'm just glad I quit using those arrows for Belegarth long before I ever got around to disassembling them.

I am using strapping/filament tape for the penny caps on all of my arrows this time. The stuff in particular I am using is Scotch #893. Judging by my online searches, it is quite pricey and I am lucky to already have a roll of it.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Untamed

Postby duckymcfeelgood » Mon May 02, 2011 8:44 am

not to be that *, but no one cares about how you intent to use it.

If you use it and have actually good info to pass along, let me know. Im trying to get some field data on the stuff before I start suggesting its use. Like life, and tear resistance, and breakdown speed.

Has anyone figured out a good method for getting the molded texture off the one side? Besides slow methodical cutting. As far as I can tell, this is where my adhesion issues will come from and i know other people are going to want to get rid of it too.

"You're Ducky, the only Dagorhir ambassador with which Dunharrow is willing to negotiate. You'd have diplomatic immunity." Rather Large James
duckymcfeelgood
Grunt
Grunt

Single Blue

Postby Solusar » Mon May 02, 2011 10:15 am

Dremmel.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby The Bruce » Mon May 02, 2011 11:15 am

I leave the texture on and just spray a heavy coat of adhesive on it. Seems to hold up just fine.
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.
~Frank Sinatra~

The Bruce
Monkey
Monkey

Unit: Cu Sith
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mildly drunk.

Postby bo1 » Mon May 02, 2011 11:47 am

a disc or belt sander are amazign for foam shaping.

also, if it is 2 lbs eva, it will be a terrible box. if it is 3 lbs, it will probibly do ok, but give up the ghost after a while. if it is 4lbs, which is unlikely cause if i hit you with 4lbs nobody would last 2 hits, they it will hold up forever.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby duckymcfeelgood » Wed May 04, 2011 9:25 pm

Chicken checked some out and said it was 4lb actually. I think he may have been a little on the high side.

duckymcfeelgood
Grunt
Grunt

Single Blue

Postby Richard le Gris » Thu May 05, 2011 5:26 pm

Ducky - this is the stuff I use for the box fries on my swords and for the first layer on the face of my arrows. Before I got the router, I was using it for boxes under #2 MC and/or blue. I've been using it for about a year and a half, maybe longer. Those swords that survived two WPOs before flexing out at Byz Opener (3/8" hollow fiberglass rods with 1/8" thick walls) were made with that foam as the box. I've gone through one full pack of the dual-density (#4/#3) colored and grey puzzle mats and one full pack of the straight #3 gray. I prefer the ones with the more consistent texture, and tend to use a sander to even out that side. Band saw is the best for cutting it, but I have also used a 48" T-square and a sharp knife. Doesn't seem to tear as much as 2# eva but does seem like it would be susceptible to tape shear.
Faute d'argent, en acier! ~ "For want of silver, steel!"
Richard le Gris
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-2007
Unit: Legion of House Manticore
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery

Postby GridPoet » Wed Jul 13, 2011 9:34 pm

this stuff is pretty great... i just finished making a solid core-less shield out of it.... although i believe if you check some of the thrift shops you can find the same stuff for about half the price!
GridPoet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby timbarly » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:55 am

Would working at a gymnastics club as a coach would be considered working at a social service organization? I want to apply for master in social work and they ask for some experience in working in a social service organization. I have worked at a gymnastics club as a coach for about 6 years and I was wondering if that would be considered as working in a social service organization. What do you guys think ?
Last edited by timbarly on Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
timbarly
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 03 Oct 1988

Postby Zuloo » Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:16 pm

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-an ... 94635.html

is this the mat from harbor freight? i have been thinking of trying the box with the golds gym yoga mat, but i want to find this stuff instead
Squire to Sir Leaf
Zuloo
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 08 Jan 2004
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Postby Alric » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:07 pm

Zuloo wrote:http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html

is this the mat from harbor freight? i have been thinking of trying the box with the golds gym yoga mat, but i want to find this stuff instead

Yup, that stuff works.
Alric
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2005
Realm: Angaron
Unit: Drentha
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield, Archery, Javelin

Postby Atman » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:58 pm

All of the puzzle edge mats I have encountered seem to be the same type of foam, the trick is finding the ones without the heavily textured surface on one side. I have been using the harbor freight stuff for about a year now and I have never had issues with poor adhesion on the textured side despite never making any attempt at removing it.
Atman
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Horde

Postby Zuloo » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:25 pm

cool guys, i just got the mat from walmart, gonna give it a try on the next sword i make, thanks for sharing your methods :)
Squire to Sir Leaf
Zuloo
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 08 Jan 2004
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon

Return to Foam Smithing