first blue sword...what is too long? (as far as ease of use)

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

first blue sword...what is too long? (as far as ease of use)

Postby Stray » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:30 am

Firstly, I'm a total newb and I'm not going to say I know much of anything about foam-smithing, so please bear with me. Ok, I'm making my first sword (I've made a round punch shield already with good success). I was just looking to make a basic blue and worry I may have gotten in a bit too deep. I followed a few length determination ideas I saw here on the forums and chose a length. Now, here's the thing, once I got this thing to the point where it's ready for a cover and such I realized it looks HUGE. It's a tiny bit heavy (compared to what I've used previously), but I like that it has some heft. My blade length is 24" and the handle+pommel is 10.5". Does that seem over-sized? I really think it's almost a hand-and a-half sword...but not on purpose. I love it (though I haven't fought with it yet), but I worry I just made a useless monster of a blue :( I've been fighting for less than a month and don't want to set my self up for uber failure right out of the door. Oh, and for reference, I'm a 5'5" girl...not of little/frail/under-fed build though.
-I just wandering up, looked friendly...and now you're stuck with me :3 At least I don't have fleas :D
Stray
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Jun 2011
Realm: Ravens Feast

Re: first blue sword...what is too long? (as far as ease of

Postby NessiePop » Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:54 pm

34" is right at the top of what i like in a blue, but plenty of people fight with up to 36" blues without a problem. It's really about whether you like it or not. Take it out, swing it, fight with it. If you don't like it, take off some handle until you do. And if you like heavy weapons, stick with 'em. You'll be slower now, but force yourself to fight with them and you'll have swordfighting muscles in no time. Worked great for me.
War Chief of Clan McClung
NessiePop
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 18 Jul 2010
Realm: Crimson Fields
Favorite Fighting Styles: Blatant Lies

Postby No'Vak » Sat Jun 18, 2011 1:20 pm

36" blues are beast. I'd stick with that length if you could. I've fought almost exclusively with a 36" sword since I started, I love em.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Todo » Sat Jun 18, 2011 2:19 pm

Go with a 42 inch sword. The Blue of Champions.
Akbar the Foul wrote:If only everyone had my sweet disposition, then we could all get along.

The Steak Jock with Python Arms
**** your petty arguments, I'm here to swing stick and look slick
Todo
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 0- 3-2003
Realm: Stygia
Unit: Todoville
Favorite Fighting Styles: Hulk Hands

Postby Stray » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:25 pm

Thanks fore the input guys :3 I think I'll try it for now...because yeah, worst case scenario is that I have to shorten it a little...nothing complicated. I guess I'm just a lady who's a fan of big swords (no dirty pun intended :p)
-I just wandering up, looked friendly...and now you're stuck with me :3 At least I don't have fleas :D
Stray
Recruit
Recruit

Postby bo1 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 8:54 pm

30-32 inch core. make as much handle or blade as you wish.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:02 pm

bo1 wrote:30-32 inch core. make as much handle or blade as you wish.

Second.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Kneuggie » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:18 pm

bo1 wrote:30-32 inch core. make as much handle or blade as you wish.

The maximum length you can make also depends on your core. Be very careful selecting your core material. 1/2" PVC will flex out when it gets too hot at greater lengths. I've found that where I live, 1/2" PVC flexes out after 30" of total length.
If it's flexing out at one point, it'll likely snap when it starts getting colder.

Fiberglass > PVC, but for your first projects, PVC is a good learner material. It's cheap, and if you F*** it up, you're only down a couple bucks.

Your first few weapons will likely become loaner gear if you're anything like me, so be patient, get the hang of foam-smithing a little, and then go on to build what you really want.

Edit:
No, you didn't mess up. If it passes, you've done a lot better than most of us did our first tries! I use a short sword all the time, and I love them. I consistently use an 18" Blue in bear pits and duels, and I'm 6'1". Having a variety of weapons at different lengths WILL help you later on, when you start to discover the wonderful variety of different weapon lengths and their uses.
It's not about how big your stick is, it's how you use it!
Kneuggie
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 27 Jan 2011
Realm: Isle of Sluagh
Unit: Ravenous
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' Board, Poles

Postby No'Vak » Mon Jun 20, 2011 12:40 pm

Don't use pvc.
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:34 pm

I hold my sword straight down at my side. If it is long enough to just barley brush the ground, it is the right length for me. An old sca guy told me that years ago and it seems to work well.
This makes a 35~" sword perfect for me. I am 6'5". If your 5'5", it seems like you would need a shorter sword than the 34" one you are making.
I'm thinking you're going to want your core about 27-29". The sword should be about 30 or so when done.
Put a stab tip on it or your dumb.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby irenicus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:04 pm

No'Vak wrote:Don't use pvc.

Make it right the first time, or don't make it at all. I don't trust PVC.
"Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies" - Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882)
irenicus
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 2007
Realm: Numenor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, spear

Postby duckymcfeelgood » Tue Jun 21, 2011 6:22 am

i second no PVC.

I personally love a nice 28in blue. Shorter than most, but a little bit quicker. The downfall being you have to close in alot more and be on the defense alot more while you do it. But for training and developing, i like it.
Day Events Coordinator/Head Herald - Ragnarok XXVII

"You're Ducky, the only Dagorhir ambassador with which Dunharrow is willing to negotiate. You'd have diplomatic immunity." Rather Large James
duckymcfeelgood
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2004
Realm: Byzantium
Unit: Arangweth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Single Blue

Postby Stray » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:15 am

all solid advice, thanks :3 I think I will build a slightly smaller one (since I have all the supplies on hand already)...after trying it out the larger one at practice I found it to be a little hard to use (a.k.a. had the snot beaten out of me and all the bruises to show for it >_< )...I'll likely shorten it a hair in the near future and alternate it with a shorter sword.
Stray
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Magpie Saegar » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:59 pm

Stray wrote: (a.k.a. had the snot beaten out of me and all the bruises to show for it >_< )

That's not a sword problem -- that's just what a normal practice is. Still, go for the shorter sword if you're feeling it.
I like having a range of weapons (from 16" to 8') so I can switch it up every few battles.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Stray » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:55 pm

Magpie Saegar wrote:
Stray wrote: (a.k.a. had the snot beaten out of me and all the bruises to show for it >_< )

That's not a sword problem -- that's just what a normal practice is. Still, go for the shorter sword if you're feeling it.
I like having a range of weapons (from 16" to 8') so I can switch it up every few battles.

That's true, I admit LOL ...I've got tons and tons of things I desperately need to work on. I'm just at the point where I'm very embarrassed and very frustrated with my self, but I'm determined to work through it and get better...eventually...I hope haha. Is it kind of sad that I feel that I need to practice in preparation for practice? :P
Stray
Recruit
Recruit

Postby No'Vak » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:21 pm

Stray wrote:
Magpie Saegar wrote:

That's true, I admit LOL ...I've got tons and tons of things I desperately need to work on. I'm just at the point where I'm very embarrassed and very frustrated with my self, but I'm determined to work through it and get better...eventually...I hope haha. Is it kind of sad that I feel that I need to practice in preparation for practice? :P

Nope thats a great idea actually. Use the back of a couch and practice swings, or set a shield up on a couch, or hit a tree with a stick. Or build a pell and practice shots/locations.
Bugbear
Noik

No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Magpie Saegar » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:22 pm

Definitely practice on your own, work out, and cross train.

And eventually your mindset will change. I'm at the point where if I don't get the snot beat out of me, it wasn't a good practice.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Stray » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:39 pm

Magpie Saegar wrote:Definitely practice on your own, work out, and cross train.

And eventually your mindset will change. I'm at the point where if I don't get the snot beat out of me, it wasn't a good practice.

Stray
Recruit
Recruit

Postby The Great Gigsby » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:38 am

It's easy to get discouraged, especially if you're in an established realm with fighters that have years of experience over you. My advice is to find a training buddy. Ideally someone who you can beat 1 on 1 at least some of the time and spend an hour or two every week to spar and analyze how the fights go down.

When you lose, ask yourself why. Take a moment to review the fight and look for mistakes you may have made. If you do that, you'll improve no matter what.
-Giggles

HORDE WIN!
The Great Gigsby
Hero
Hero

Unit: Horde

Postby Stray » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:26 am

Thanks, Giggles :3 Yeah, I'm going to have to see if I can coerce anyone to spend extra time with me (though that feels a little awkward as I'm often either one of two or the only female there). Almost everyone there has been fighting for a few years at the very least...and to be honest I almost feel like a burden dragging along behind them trying to pick up little bits of training as I go. My only HUGE stumbling point is that I hate having to ask for help...but I'm going to have to or else I'm going to flounder and fail miserably. l am enjoying this far too much to give up yet :3
Stray
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:23 am

Stray wrote:My only HUGE stumbling point is that I hate having to ask for help...but I'm going to have to or else I'm going to flounder and fail miserably. l am enjoying this far too much to give up yet :3

Very true. I've found that the best way to improve is to seek out the people who beat you during water breaks and the like and ask them "Hey, can you show me how you were killing me out there?" They're usually glad to show you what shot they were throwing and where the hole in your defense was that led them to throw it. And then you'll know.

And knowing is half the battle.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby duckymcfeelgood » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:04 am

Arrakis wrote:And knowing is half the battle.

G I JOE!!!!
Day Events Coordinator/Head Herald - Ragnarok XXVII

"You're Ducky, the only Dagorhir ambassador with which Dunharrow is willing to negotiate. You'd have diplomatic immunity." Rather Large James
duckymcfeelgood
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2004
Realm: Byzantium
Unit: Arangweth
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Single Blue

Postby Stray » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:45 am

duckymcfeelgood wrote:
Arrakis wrote:And knowing is half the battle.

G I JOE!!!!

ahhhh...you beat me to it >_< :p
Stray
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Big King Jimmy » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:20 pm

If you look at this post, the last time this thread was posted in was 2011.

Look at this is very important, it's called thread necro'ing to post in threads that are that old.

Think of it like this, there is a party. Everyone has a conversation at the party. The party ends. 2 years later you're sitting around with the same group of people and say something as if that conversation had just happened. They're going to think you're very, very strange.

So yah, try to keep your posts to things that are relevant, mostly to things that are at least less than a month old, unless it's very important. Most of the time you should only post in topics that are from within the last few days.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra