Use of Alternate Cores/Core Centers

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: Use of Alternate Cores/Core Centers

Postby Blitz. » Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:37 pm

Azgarehta wrote:Build a quarterstaff.

Be a unique and beautiful snowflake.

Sword First. Quarter Staff second.
Edge Control First. Omi-directional hitting later.
Koom Di' Puts wrote:And here I thought the point of the game was to have fun?

Savage wrote: I find that beer often aids in this process.

Ticonderoga wrote:And if all else fails. I'm getting my mom.

Forkbeard wrote:[And]I'm going to continue being a happy sword weilding wierdo until then.
FB
Blitz.
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 10 Mar 2008
Realm: Sunspear
Unit: Silverhelms
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby GridPoet » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:17 pm

Azgarehta wrote:Build a quarterstaff.

Be a unique and beautiful snowflake.

GridPoet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Gearfried Palatine » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:07 pm

I am wondering, what bout having two cores in a single weapon.. such as this- I recently watched a non-belegarth related, latex boffer making tutorial. The author is a very legitimate foamsmith. He uses two 3/8's round fiberglass cores that he uses an epoxy to weld together, then wraps the two in cloth tape. Then the blad edge of the weapon is on the narrow side of the core. This is basically a cor shaped like this:

( )( ) top veiw, looking down lengthwise

i think this would maybe decrease flex on a 3/8's core? Making it usable on longer weapons. I would, however, never vwennture to use 3/8 on anything except a blue sword, butterknife, or dagger. Maybe a javelin. Maybe.
Gearfried Palatine
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Kingdom of Knightfall
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and javelin

Postby GridPoet » Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:11 am

Dual cores can work... but it's old tech, if 3/8 fiberglass is the only thing you have available and you are looking to make a sword over 30" then you really have no choice...

the problem is that epoxy resin has very poor shear properties... so any transverse stress will cause the cores to separate... a method that could add more life to the dual core technique is using epoxy resin to cement the cores together then wrap the cores barber shop style with fiberglass cloth and coat that in resin as well... it's messy... but it should work

me... i'll just order 1/2" off the internet... hell you can get like 20 48" rods for 35$ shipped

so much superior in both durability and weight...
GridPoet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby varadin » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:51 am

GridPoet wrote:me... i'll just order 1/2" off the internet... hell you can get like 20 48" rods for 35$ shipped

I demand your source for this. I need to get a few and thats a good price.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Cyric » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:55 am

You can use 2 3/8" rods together with just liquid welder. put a narrow strip of tape a few places along it to hold the cores together, run a good bead down the middle in the gap, and let it cure for 24 hours. you can only do one side at a time, but it does work if its all you have. we used to do it this way all the time in the old days. eventually the cores will separate in the sword, but you can always re-weld them.

That said, getting bigger fiberglass is the better way.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Gearfried Palatine » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:46 am

Okay then, I was just wondering if anybody had ever heard of this before, as I thought the idea was rather strange myself. My understanding is that this will suffice, but isn't recommended, correct? As for the hydro core, try taking a three foot piece of one half inch polyvinyl chloride, then fill it half of the way with water and cap the ends. Not only is it a pain the properly cap the ends, it doesn't ensure a secure hold. Also, when you swing it, it shifts against your motion, which makes it a pain in the * to use. So afterwards, hopefully you'll understand why it is a bad idea. Now what's you're next question, a buster sword?
Gearfried Palatine
Recruit
Recruit

Realm: Kingdom of Knightfall
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and javelin

Postby GridPoet » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:43 pm

Varadin wrote:I demand your source for this. I need to get a few and thats a good price.

I goofed it's 35 without shipping it was 48 with :( here is the link... still some decent prices here though

http://electric-horse-fence.com/electric_fence_posts/fiberglass_posts_braces_acccessories/fiberglass_posts.htm#halfinch
GridPoet
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Kneuggie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:05 pm

That's still cheap for the amount of cores you get.

Also, can someone tell me what the dimension on Kitespar mean from this site?
http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/inde ... ae78299ec3

E.G.
Epoxy .418" x .505" x 54.5"

Is that .418 ID, .505 OD, and 54.5" Long? (I'm pretty sure about the length part), or is that oblong / not circular / rectangular?
It's not about how big your stick is, it's how you use it!
Kneuggie
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 27 Jan 2011
Realm: Isle of Sluagh
Unit: Ravenous
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' Board, Poles

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:30 pm

Gearfried Palatine wrote:I am wondering, what bout having two cores in a single weapon.. such as this- I recently watched a non-belegarth related, latex boffer making tutorial. The author is a very legitimate foamsmith.

Aight, not trying to be a mindless hater, here, but: Most tech not specifically designed for Belegarth fails in Belegarth or is just plain a bad idea. Especially if you're talking about those BookOfMormonBattles tutorials I've tried to get taken off of the * internet...

Lenus: You want this stuff: http://www.goodwinds.com/merch/list.sht ... fiberglass

The .524 is pretty great for anything up to 40-something inches, depending on how hard (and how) you hit; I've never broken one at 35 inches or less, at least. If you find you're breaking those, go up to .602 (which is also the BOMB for javelins).
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Caleidah » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:41 pm

Arrakis wrote:BookOfMormonBattles tutorials I've tried to get taken off of the * internet...

Wait...what?
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Thorondor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Caleidah wrote:
Arrakis wrote:BookOfMormonBattles tutorials I've tried to get taken off of the * internet...

Wait...what?

I'm assuming he means these: http://www.bookofmormonbattles.com/More/Weapons.htm
Uruk-Hai Serpent Breed and proud
Victory though intensity, tactics and glorious death!

Daemarth: <On the topic of some people just can't get along> it's like sticking me and Kegg in a room... and I keep punching him in the f'n face, and someone looking into the room just keeps telling him that he just needs to get along with me...
Thorondor
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 31 Mar 2001
Realm: Grim Sword
Unit: Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Short Recurve Bow

Postby Tyrieal Isenguard » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:17 am

I just watched those, and I can't believe that people still build **** like that. I haven't used blue foam or pvc for years and seeing it makes my face bleed. I hope that everyone has seen the light as far as MC foam goes lol.
Tyrieal Isenguard
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 29 Jun 2004
Realm: None
Unit: No Quarter
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Florentine
Single Blue

Postby Kneuggie » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:45 am

Arrakis wrote:
Gearfried Palatine wrote:I am wondering, what bout having two cores in a single weapon.. such as this- I recently watched a non-belegarth related, latex boffer making tutorial. The author is a very legitimate foamsmith.

Aight, not trying to be a mindless hater, here, but: Most tech not specifically designed for Belegarth fails in Belegarth or is just plain a bad idea. Especially if you're talking about those BookOfMormonBattles tutorials I've tried to get taken off of the * internet...

Lenus: You want this stuff: http://www.goodwinds.com/merch/list.sht ... fiberglass

The .524 is pretty great for anything up to 40-something inches, depending on how hard (and how) you hit; I've never broken one at 35 inches or less, at least. If you find you're breaking those, go up to .602 (which is also the BOMB for javelins).

Thanks. Duly noted Arrakis. Kind of off topic, but in making some swords with the stabbing tip as you've put on up before (with marine foam on top), I'm having problems with the tips buckling over during a hard stab test. Any ideas on how to fix this, or what I could be doing wrong?

More info that is likely required. 34" Blue Sword, built on .5" Solid Fiberglass, standard build with walmart blue foam. Stabbing tip is 3/4" marine foam, with strapping tape and spray adhesive holding it to tip.
It's not about how big your stick is, it's how you use it!
Kneuggie
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 27 Jan 2011
Realm: Isle of Sluagh
Unit: Ravenous
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword n' Board, Poles

Postby Arrakis » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:16 am

Another layer of strapping tape from flat to flat should stabilize it further. Some degree of side-fold is to be expected, but it should be infinitely better than the old design.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Previous

Return to Foam Smithing