Sword Cores

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Sword Cores

Postby Jevins » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:02 am

I hear most people say they prefer fiberglass or kitespar cores for their swords. Obviously, this is better than PVC most of the time, but I know there are more variables to poles than their material.

My question for the forums is in regards to the type, shape, and measurements of one's preferred core. I want to know what seems to work best to be the most efficient combination of shape, weight, and material.

I currently use round, solid, fiberglass poles from D&B supply, but those poles often have too much flex if they're built to be anything beyond a medium-long blue sword. I have also had problems with core dis-bondage more than once, due to the flex and vibrations these swords take when they come into contact with anything.

So what does the rest of Belegarth prefere? Square or rounded core? Solid or hollow? And what thicknesses seem to work best for everyone?
Jevins
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2004
Realm: Latnemir
Unit: GELF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever, man.

Re: Sword Cores

Postby Doozer » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:46 pm

what diameter do you use for you cores? 3/8 or 1/2 inch? my blues are made half inch and the flex is no issue.
DEUS VULT!!!
Doozer
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 12 Jan 2011
Realm: Nifelheim
Favorite Fighting Styles: Florentine, Sword and Board, Red

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:16 pm

I like kitespar. Being hollow takes a noticable amount of weight off, and it doesn't have as much stank on hits as solid fiberglass. Problem is, it tends to flex, specially as you get into lower diameter cores. I also broke a kitespar sword at last practice with my * sword. oops.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Caleidah » Sat Aug 13, 2011 9:41 pm

I use solid fiberglass on my weapons, if only because I'm still too cheap to get kitespar and make myself good kit. 3/8" solid fiberglass is good for swords with a total length up to about 32". Beyond that, you'll want 1/2" solid. That will do you out to min-red length.

.502 is the kitespar of choice for most folks, as far as I know. .502 or .524, anyway.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Guy Leslo Jans » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:07 pm

I roll with 1/2 inch fibe. for all but my mini swords(<24 in.) or B#$% sticks as I commonly refer to them. That's what I give my noobs. The 1/2 is good for max blues, but I've never had a red last more than two practices before flex fail. If you can find square fibe. core let me know,the best weapon I ever owned was square core, every blade I put on it lasted two years with no slipping. I recently lost it at chaos :cry: and I would rather build with that, just because of the amount of contact with the standard box blade.

Kitesparr is good but then you have to weight your weapon, and its durability is on par with golf club cores which in my realm, we break one once a month.
Foot loose and shoe free.
Soo...what's the story?
Wielder of the Sharpened Spade
Guy Leslo Jans
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2005
Realm: Alavara
Unit: Ranger Corps
Favorite Fighting Styles: Wayhay too close! Too friendly to.

Postby Tyrieal Isenguard » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:50 pm

For blues my unit uses .524 or 1/2in around 1/8in wall fiberglass. The kitespar is easier to balance, but the fiberglass hits like a brick and we haven't broke one yet. For reds I like 1/2 solid carbon fiber rods.
Tyrieal Isenguard
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 29 Jun 2004
Realm: None
Unit: No Quarter
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board
Florentine
Single Blue

Postby Taxfrog » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:11 am

from my reading elsewhere, when carbon fiber shatters it breaks into many needles. My question is, has this happened in Bel? Cause I've only read about it with arrows and model airplanes.
Taxfrog
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 19 May 2011
Realm: Pyke the Ironport
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gettin' hit in the D

Postby Big King Jimmy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:55 am

Taxfrog wrote:from my reading elsewhere, when carbon fiber shatters it breaks into many needles. My question is, has this happened in Bel? Cause I've only read about it with arrows and model airplanes.

"Needles" is a strong word. Plus, it's encased in foam. Not really an issue.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Arrakis » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:39 am

I use .524 for blueswords out to 38" or so, .602 kitespar for longer blueswords and short-to-medium length javelins, 1/2" sq. fiberglass for 48-52" red swords, and bandpole for anything 72" or longer. I don't really build things between 52" and 72". I did once build a 54" or so short spear out of 3/4" OD Tonken bamboo. It's still working pretty good, too.

3/8" square fiberglass also makes pretty nice blueswords 40" and under.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby No'Vak » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:54 am

Arrakis wrote:I use .524 for blueswords out to 38" or so, .602 kitespar for longer blueswords and short-to-medium length javelins, 1/2" sq. fiberglass for 48-52" red swords, and bandpole for anything 72" or longer. I don't really build things between 52" and 72". I did once build a 54" or so short spear out of 3/4" OD Tonken bamboo. It's still working pretty good, too.

3/8" square fiberglass also makes pretty nice blueswords 40" and under.

Where do you get your sq 1/2"?
Bugbear
Noik

Elebrim wrote:...I question why lately it seems like we must do everything that Amtgard does or else we are no longer the best fighters. I don't think it's right or necessary.
No'Vak
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Realm
Unit: Big one
Favorite Fighting Styles: Beating up cheaters

Postby Arrakis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:38 pm

Brutus at BestDagStuff before he went out of business; Edhellen before that.
Arrakis

Postby Blackwolfe » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:20 pm

Arrakis wrote:Brutus at BestDagStuff before he went out of business; Edhellen before that.

wait.. and Now?
Blackwolfe
Gladiator
Gladiator

Started Fighting: 19 Aug 1964
Realm: Sword Coast
Unit: AoD

Postby Arrakis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:52 pm

I don't buy things one at a time. I buy rare things like 1/2" sq. in much larger quantities than I require. I am almost out.
Arrakis

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:08 pm

From a Dun Abhon local thread:
Thomas MacFinn (June 2009) wrote:For those looking for "bandshoppe poles", Eddie Riser in the sales dept at Bohn Fiberglass, here in Louisville, says they can make can make 20 ft long hollow fiberglass poles (1" inside diameter, 1/8" thick), for $38.20

They won't sell it at other lengths, but will hapilly cut it down into 2 - 10 ft poles (or 2 - 8's and a 4', etc). Although they carry solid round poles for individual sale in stock, Bohn doesn't normally deal in orders as small as we would want for custom stuff like the hollow poles. For us, Eddie says he is willing to tack a few poles onto another order - we would just have to let him know and wait a while for such an order to come in.

Thomas MacFinn (June 2010) wrote:
Matthias of Dun Abhon* wrote:Bohn's website is down or something. ... Thomas, do you still have their number or perhaps a new/different website to check?

The old website was little more than an address and a picture of the building.

(502) 933-3515. Eddie Riser still works there.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-15264683-bo ... louisville

Thomas MacFinn (Oct 2010) wrote:I just ordered a 20 ft piece of 1/2" square stock from Eddie at Bohn Fiberglass today. It was $30 plus tax.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Nov 2007
Realm: Dun Abhon

Postby Arrakis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:26 am

Thomas MacFinn wrote:From a Dun Abhon local thread:
Thomas MacFinn (June 2009) wrote:For those looking for "bandshoppe poles", Eddie Riser in the sales dept at Bohn Fiberglass, here in Louisville, says they can make can make 20 ft long hollow fiberglass poles (1" inside diameter, 1/8" thick), for $38.20

They won't sell it at other lengths, but will hapilly cut it down into 2 - 10 ft poles (or 2 - 8's and a 4', etc). Although they carry solid round poles for individual sale in stock, Bohn doesn't normally deal in orders as small as we would want for custom stuff like the hollow poles. For us, Eddie says he is willing to tack a few poles onto another order - we would just have to let him know and wait a while for such an order to come in.

Thomas MacFinn (June 2010) wrote:
Matthias of Dun Abhon* wrote:Bohn's website is down or something. ... Thomas, do you still have their number or perhaps a new/different website to check?

The old website was little more than an address and a picture of the building.

(502) 933-3515. Eddie Riser still works there.

http://local.yahoo.com/info-15264683-bo ... louisville

Thomas MacFinn (Oct 2010) wrote:I just ordered a 20 ft piece of 1/2" square stock from Eddie at Bohn Fiberglass today. It was $30 plus tax.

*shudder*

I know what I'm doing next time I'm in KY.
Arrakis

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:08 am

Preorder. They carry the 1/2" and 5/8" round stuff in stock all the time, but not the square.
Thomas Mac Finn

I would strongly suggest everyone familiarize themselves with the search function on this forum. Most of the questions you could ever think of have been asked by somebody in the past.

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Postby Arrakis » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:34 am

Thomas MacFinn wrote:Preorder. They carry the 1/2" and 5/8" round stuff in stock all the time, but not the square.

Thanks, man.

I may have to preorder some sick shaped rattan wasters from you, too...
Arrakis

Postby Thomas MacFinn » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:03 am

Thomas Mac Finn

Water runs downhill.
Life climbs.
Don't give up.
Thomas MacFinn
Hero
Hero

Return to Foam Smithing