What is your experience with Rattan cores?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

What is your experience with Rattan cores?

Postby seldon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:19 pm

I know from discussions here, that some people on this board have used rattan for Belegarth weapons.

My questions are:

• What has been your experience working with rattan?
  • How do you like/dislike the weapons you have built on rattan?
  • For various weapons, what diameter of rattan have you used?
  • Are you using rattan with skin or shaved down?
  • I know that many SCA youth combat parents are purchasing rattan from:
    http://www.franksupply.com/bamboo/rattan-poles.html. Does anyone have any other recommended sites for purchasing rattan of various diameters?

Looking forward to your comments.
seldon
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Mar 1983

Re: What is your experience with Rattan cores?

Postby Mughi » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:44 pm

Don't do it bro. It's a trap.

I cross into SCA like quite a few people here, and I just want to reinforce how different this is. It all seems the same in principle, but it isn't. Rattan cores take a LOT of work to turn into passable Belegarth weapons due to their heavy nature, and even once all of that work is put in the end result is an overweighted sword that makes you feel clumsy compared to even the lower-tech PVC cored weapons that are prevalent on a lot of fields. I've done one, and considered it a HUGE mistake.

SCA, helmets and other safety gear is mandatory. Here, it is not. You know how messed up someone in minimum safety gear gets during heavy fighting, and that would be compounded many times in Belegarth especially if you hit someone in the head.

I have heard of people using bamboo for lightweight spears. I have never heard of someone advocating making rattan belegarth weapon for striking.

Sorry for the long winded post, but I just want to reinforce my case for keeping the rattan to SCA.
Mughi
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 05 Mar 2010
Realm: Malkier
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Smithin'.

Postby Caleidah » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:54 pm

By the time that you had padded rattan out to be fully safe for our fighting, it would probably be so heavy as to be unwieldy. Fiberglass cores are the chosen core of 90% of Belegarth for a reason.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Big King Jimmy » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:03 pm

Caleidah wrote:By the time that you had padded rattan out to be fully safe for our fighting, it would probably be so heavy as to be unwieldy. Fiberglass cores are the chosen core of 90% of Belegarth for a reason.

65%, of blues. 15% would be PVC and 30% kitespar. Don't forget back water realms still use PVC.
King of Dunharrow
Commander of Clan of the Hydra
Biggy Biggy J
Rather Large James
James of Enviable Girth
Jimmington
Big King Jimmy
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 0- 5-2001
Realm: Dunharrow
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat and Board, Archery, Spear

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:19 am

Big King Jimmy wrote:65%, of blues. 15% would be PVC and 30% kitespar. Don't forget back water realms still use PVC.

110%

I believe kitespar and PVC would be about equal with newbs balancing out vets with money to burn and a great desire for high-tech weapons.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Kyrian » Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:30 am

Back in '93, I used a skinned rattan escrima stick just under 1" in diameter as a core for a falchion similar to this:

Compared to the PVC we were using at the time, it was a much lighter and rigid core. I used an open-cell piece between the foam box and the outer layer of foam to give it the blade shape and had no issues with it hitting someone. Unfortunately, I think the rattan finally dried out too much after a couple of years and snapped. I think the key is not to use the rattan that the SCA uses (last I checked, it has to be at least 1.25" in diameter to not go into a bar grill) but look for some of the narrower rattan used for escrima.
"...change requires action, it doesn't just happen. Define your actions by how you think the game should be, not how the game is. The game will follow."--Big Jimmy
Kyrian
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1991
Realm: Andor
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery
Pronouns: he/him

Return to Foam Smithing