Sword tip blowout prevention?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Sword tip blowout prevention?

Postby Bain » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:31 am

This is a thread to talk about ways to prevent this problem.

I like the wrap-over sword construction technique because it's easy and makes for fast builds. I have noticed swords built this way seem rather susceptible to sword tip blowout.

My solutions:
- Make weapons slightly broader along the striking surface for more adhesion and less PSI of torsion stress. Effective results but not that great since weapons have more drag when swung and hit lighter. Better for reds than blues

-Hockey tape each foam layer added with a _\|/_ pattern for maximum support. Make sure not to pull tape tight enough to compress foam. It seems very promising so far. It also makes the tip less "grazy" feeling as extra benefit because it stiffens the coreless area.
Bain
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 19 Sep 2011
Realm: Asphodel
Favorite Fighting Styles: two-hander

Re: Sword tip blowout prevention?

Postby Kage » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:42 am

This has been discussed many times. The search function will be your friend in the long run. However the wrap over method works the best when you have pre routed a groove in the foam to fit the core. It sounds like you've just been taking the layers and squeezed them around the core with out a groove. Probably the main reason your swords keep blowing out.

Second, using hockey tape in your tip regardless of how light you will tape it will change how hard your sword hits. Plus it will cause the foam to sheer.

Again use the search function, it is your friend and as always mind the Forkbeard.
Kage
21st Knight of the Highlands of Chaos
Ebonhold
Coffee with Kage
Kage
Slayer
Slayer

Realm: Ebonhold

Return to Foam Smithing