Spartan shield grips

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Spartan shield grips

Postby Sevren » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:07 pm

I have decided to go with a hoplite persona. As such i wanted to have a hoplite shield. I was wondering if moving the straps so they are in their traditional place. ( The arm strap in the exact center of the shield with the handle closer to the rim.) IS this going to make any difference or should i just strap it as suggested in the wiki build section.
Sevren
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 06 Jun 1998
Realm: Tirnanog
Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever works

Re: Spartan shield grips

Postby Cade » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:54 am

Sevren wrote:I have decided to go with a hoplite persona. As such i wanted to have a hoplite shield. I was wondering if moving the straps so they are in their traditional place. ( The arm strap in the exact center of the shield with the handle closer to the rim.) IS this going to make any difference or should i just strap it as suggested in the wiki build section.

Having used both strapping systems, i can say that a center strapping system where both the strap and handle are equidistant from the center is the best for one on one fighting.

HOWEVER, if you plan on fighting as a group, like all hoplites did, the historical strapping configuration is best because it covers you, and the guy to your left. It is very effective in group situations, and provides great cover for your favorite spear or glaive guy.

The historical grip is also better for close in fighting and gives you much greater control over the edge of your shield. It is very effective when paired with a shorter sword. You will also find that it makes all wrap shots on your shield side completely ineffective.

It also works very well for shield bashing, and taking a charge because your taking the elbow joint out of the equation. Your not taking a charge on your forearm, your taking it on your bicep and tricep, so you can get your shoulder behind the shield much more effectively.

You could actually do both if you made all of the straps out of flexible material. For one on one situations you would have the straps in the center, and for group situations you could switch to the grip further out.
Cade
Brute
Brute

Realm: Nomad
Unit: Southern Uruk-Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Playing Dead

Postby Sevren » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:32 am

thank you i will take that into consideration. :)
Sevren
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 06 Jun 1998
Realm: Tirnanog
Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever works

Postby Arrakis » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:41 am

I recommend going a bit smaller than the historical hoplon; they were awful big. 30" diameter (26" diameter wood core) should still look right without getting in your way as much as a 34" or 36" shield would.

If you do build a shield larger than 28" in diameter or so, it's not a bad idea at all to scootch your strapping towards the front edge of the shield to a degree (2 to 4", maybe); it improves your wrap coverage without sacrificing your shot selection as much (crosses, etc.).
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Cu_ » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:56 pm

I've got a hoplite kit I bust out from time to time. My aspis is gripped in the fashion of the real thing-- I never have any problems assuming a Belegarth-appropriate defensive stance when using this shield (in fact, it gives bookoo shoulder protection due to the curvature).

We have extant remains of reasonably-sized aspides, actually. The well-preserved shield facing in the Athenian Agora museum (taken by an Athenian from a Spartan knight at Pylos-- says so on the ****) is actually between 26-30" in diameter, I reckon. Given those measurements, the wooden core would have been ~24-28". Actually, I'm pretty sure the remains of the biggest shields, the ones that make people think they were 3' in diameter, were found in sanctuaries. Possibly, they were votive offerings, or sporting equipment, not actual, functional battle gear (as the aforementioned shield certainly is). This is why I'm okay with my Bel aspis being 27" wide.
Cu_
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 15 Jul 2008
Realm: Niflheim
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Punch and Pie

Postby Arrakis » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:44 am

Cu_ wrote:I've got a hoplite kit I bust out from time to time. My aspis is gripped in the fashion of the real thing-- I never have any problems assuming a Belegarth-appropriate defensive stance when using this shield (in fact, it gives bookoo shoulder protection due to the curvature).

We have extant remains of reasonably-sized aspides, actually. The well-preserved shield facing in the Athenian Agora museum (taken by an Athenian from a Spartan knight at Pylos-- says so on the ****) is actually between 26-30" in diameter, I reckon. Given those measurements, the wooden core would have been ~24-28". Actually, I'm pretty sure the remains of the biggest shields, the ones that make people think they were 3' in diameter, were found in sanctuaries. Possibly, they were votive offerings, or sporting equipment, not actual, functional battle gear (as the aforementioned shield certainly is). This is why I'm okay with my Bel aspis being 27" wide.

Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Tordek » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:39 pm

I personally strap all my shields in this manner as i prefer the added control and ability to put my weight behind my shields. you have to modify how you hold your shield just a bit from the normal grips, but i believe it to pay off when you become good with it.
Battering Ram of Chaos Wars 13, Subaltern and Siege Master of Clan of the Hydra, King of Khazad Dum, Dwarven Lord of the Salt Mines, Order of the Soup Can, Potion Master of the Mountain.

Bouncing ball of bearded bedlam.
Tordek
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 10 Dec 2008
Realm: Khazad Dum
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear, Glaive, Ball and Board, Archery.

Return to Foam Smithing