Are modular arrow heads allowed?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Re: Are modular arrow heads allowed?

Postby Oznog » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:47 am

Well, I'll share some of my experience-based concerns with screw-on stuff.

Nowadays, there's some common situations. One, they don't glue the inserts in really solid, not on the cheap shafts.

Two, there's some inserts which have only a few turns of thread engagement before they bottom out. Having too long of a thread then means that they'll stop turning on the bottom of the insert, but the front impact-load-bearing surface fails to seat.

Three, there's nylon plastic inserts, there to be cheaper and lighter. They're only pressed on and don't have "real" threads inside either. Nylon is a low-surface-energy plastic and no glue sticks to it. Superglue, epoxy, etc will all ultimately flake off.

That being said, there are many good inserts out there. The insert system was never intended to be a safety-critical feature. The way I saw it, I could make very safe insert-mount tips, yes, but I couldn't regulate WHAT shafts they put them on, for the very reason that the system IS universal. With arrows on the market (esp the cheap end) that don't use secure inserts, there's always a concern there.
Oznog
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Forkbeard » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:15 pm

I could never have said that as well. You accurately caputed all of my concerns about * on heads. As a life long hunter, I have ample experience(which I think many of you lack) with the * on ends and how often they fail when target shooting and hunting.
However, we are not about to let people on the field without the head taped onto the shaft of their arrows, * on or not.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Artenen » Tue May 29, 2012 9:15 am

We have begun making the 2.0 versions of our arrow heads. The new tri-core design gives the arrow another color choice. The dense foam inner core spines show though the body of the arrow head giving an intense look!

New longer core design that holds the arrow shaft inside to further protect the shaft and threads from bends and breaks while also helping flight characteristics.

Dense foam mid core that holds the resin core inside. This was done to further enhance flight, meet the needs of some game rules and help players feel when the threads are tight.

Soft outer shell and super soft tip for the ultimate in safety.
Last edited by Artenen on Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You killed my father, prepare to die..."
Artenen
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Jul 2009
Realm: Loderia
Unit: The Order
Favorite Fighting Styles: Tanker

Postby Artenen » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:22 am

Here is a generic cutaway we had to make for the patent.

I'm sending out samples to those I promised next week. The patent and website stuff delayed this.. sorry about that. BattleStuff also made bulk case rates for those who can chip together or for reselling at games etc.

Artenen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Richard le Gris » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:51 am

Do you have plans to be at any conventions where someone who is not a realm leader can examine these? My only concern is that they don't look as amenable to anchoring to the shafts with tape to prevent loosening, but that's difficult to assess from a picture.
Faute d'argent, en acier! ~ "For want of silver, steel!"
Richard le Gris
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-2007
Realm: Byzantium
Unit: Legion of House Manticore
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery

Postby Artenen » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:15 am

Currently we do not have plans to be at any conventions besides LarpCon this winter in Wisconsin. We will have the heads there as well as at our Archery Contest booths for Last Hope Larp in Southern, WI and Trail Con in Northern Wisconsin.

for 2013 we are looking at a setup for GenCon and a few others if time permits but further product development including duel core weapons for full contact are already being designed. Our full product line will be at liveactionproducts in the next few days.

We are also trying to support the sport by sponsoring many of the clubs across the world. We will help in any way we can, when we can.

Now that the final design is done a full video will be made. This was long past due but the patent stuff had to come first.
Artenen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Artenen » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:35 am

We had to change store programs and such but these are back up.
http://liveactionproducts.com/foam-arrow-heads/

Hundreds of players now use these and the final design is outstanding.

The video is being redone to show the core being crushed at the tip but also from the side. I missed that in the first video.
Artenen
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Orokusan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:46 am

Has anyone tried them in our sport? Passed them in our sport?
Sir Oroku Norinaga, KBMC, OGO
Tertiary Knight of the High Code
"You do not have to be a squire to start learning to be a knight. Take your time and make good decisions."-Uric
Orokusan
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 18 May 2005
Realm: Sygia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery, Florentine, Spear

Postby Phishstrangler75 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:42 pm

Forkbeard wrote:I could never have said that as well. You accurately caputed all of my concerns about * on heads. As a life long hunter, I have ample experience(which I think many of you lack) with the * on ends and how often they fail when target shooting and hunting.
However, we are not about to let people on the field without the head taped onto the shaft of their arrows, * on or not.
FB

Same here. I frequently had to retighten my practice points after a dozen or so shots, and that was with field points. It's even worse with a broadhead, so I would imagine that a huge foam head would be bad too. Even if modular is safe in all other ways, they would have to be taped onto the shaft well to avoid that being a point of failure.

Orokusan wrote:Has anyone tried them in our sport? Passed them in our sport?

According to this thread, they have been tried frequently. Passed occasionally, but as a point of contention may have been passed by people that didn't know what they were or that they were illegal. And again, illegal is loosely applied because the interpretation of the penny rule seems to differ.
I am the realm leader for Wrythyk in La Grande and I want to do things right, so please pm me some tips, cautions, insults, or critiques. Thank you.

Brutus wrote: This ruleset wasn't developed in a day. It has been debated and modified ceaselessly for the past 30+ years. Often the reasons behind certain rules do not become obvious until you try to fight without them.
Phishstrangler75
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2007
Realm: Wrythyk
Favorite Fighting Styles: Quarterstaff, florentine, speedbat

Previous

Return to Foam Smithing