Crossguard and pommel foam

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Crossguard and pommel foam

Postby Severian » Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Would it be a bad idea to use puzzle mat foam for Crossguard and/or pommel? I'm probably going to plasti dip some of them also. It seems like that foam would be easier to shape and take more abuse.
Severian
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 2010
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: The Black Company

Re: Crossguard and pommel foam

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:44 pm

Using a cap of floor mat over the tip of the pommel to prevent the core from coring through, and then capping that with 1-2 layers of blue is a good technique for a pommel. All blue works just as well, but it will break down more quickly.

The biggest problem with cross guards is getting them to stay attached after taking a couple powerful hits. Sieglatan has an awesome method using hardware and leather on his zweihander. I'm looking to emulate it if it continues to last.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Mint » Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Here's a method for cross guards I've had a lot of luck with:

Go dumpster diving for an old bike tire, and cut out a segment with a tin snips or some other such tool. Cut a hole in the bottom for the core to go through said segment. Before finishing the handle and pommel of your sword, slide the tire up to the base of the sword and dap it on. Fill with rolls of scrap foam and cap the ends. Reinforce the cross guard/blade adhesion with strapping tape and finish with cloth tape/PD/whatevs. All the ones I've built via this method have lasted at least as long as the blade itself.

For best results, use a 4# EVA box for your blade, but an all bluefoam blade will work okay as well.
Jeckyllmint Q. Stoutbrew
Sand Plains Quartermaster & War Council Rep.
Initiate of the Sons of Sylas

Slagar wrote:MinTech: Feel the freshness, *.
Mint
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: shame stick

Postby Sleeper » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Seems if you want sturdy, your weapon will get overly heavy... but hey it lasts. If you want Light, your crossguard won't last to long, but hey, atleast you still got speed.

I build mine directly out of foam with lots of gorilla ductape to reinforce key areas. Sure, it might not look as nice as some crossguards but they're practical. I was able to make a two foot wide one, lasted longer than the sword it was originally on. It ended being used for three different redswords. Best thing about all foam crossguards? You can make them into any shape you want. From giant "fin" Nightmare swords (soul calibur) to the "anchor" zwiehander double crossguard. Plus, they're not super rigid so they won't hurt anybody to bad if you fall on them or accidently jab someone.
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Return to Foam Smithing