Varying density foam, Rocks

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Varying density foam, Rocks

Postby Karr » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:07 pm

I have not found another topic about this.

I wanted to inquire if anyone has experience with layering foam of different densities to form a Rock. The concept I am thinking about is the densest foam as the base and the outer layer being most likely open cell, and covered in cloth and tape.

I would use this idea to form shaped rocks. It should increase the weight and thus the "throwability," while adhering to the BOW. I know that even things that are "Legal" may fail for concept or unforseen safety issues. It is a rock, so it isn't the end of the world if this is a no go, just an idea.

I would really appreciate input, thank you!
Squire to Sir Killian
Karr
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2006
Realm: Obsidian Hollow
Unit: House Dregoth

Re: Varying density foam, Rocks

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:25 pm

I don't know of anyone who's done it, but give it a go. Scraps are the best thing for you to do some trials. If it passes your garage tests, bring it to your field and try it there. If it's still a go, bring it to an event.

Make sure your shaping still passes template.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:53 am

Honestly I wouldn't spend much time on it. Even if you improve the quality of a rock, it is still a rock and can only do damage if you manage a headshot. Even that is negated by a helm. Crafting practice would probably be better spent refining your technique crafting other weapons.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Tails » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:52 am

Rowan is part of the conspiracy to keep rocks, and other funny things out of belegarth.
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Lorax » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:01 am

OK any thing like your describing is likely too hard. I made something similar and even though it passed field test it failed during use because it hit to hard. However I may not have understood your post.

Here's what I did that failed... I made a cylinder of foam and capped it off on one side then I wrapped that cylinder into a larger one I then filled the remaining space with blue chunks.

Here's what I've done that works: For a cylinder/pine coneish shape; 1,Place a circle of foam in the bottom of a nylon,

2, take a strip of blue foam the length of your circle's circumfranceXhow "tall" you want your rock, roll it so the ends touch and place it in the nylon (you want a hollow cylinder shape)

(steps one and two are interchangeable)

3, stuff chunks of open cell and blue foam into the cylinder

4, tie off the nylon and fold the end over the rock, repeat until leftover bits of nylon no longer encase the rock.

You may have to use more than one nylon in order to keep the foam from showing through

For a more sperical shape:

1) circle of camppad in the bottom of the nylon
2) same as step 3 for a cylinder
3) same as step four, except your going to tie off as soon as the height roughly matches the circumferance of your circle, then you will repeat steps 2 and 3 one more time before tying off and folding over until no overhang remains.

I would also suggent taping down the last bit of foldover with som hockey tape so it doesn't come loose and develop a "tail".
There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees- Rush

SUNBEEEEEAAAAAM
Lorax
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 15 Aug 2011
Realm: Stygia
Favorite Fighting Styles: Javvies (and rocks)
Florentine
Min-red

Postby Karr » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:58 am

The idea is that it will be built pretty much like a sword blade, but with dense foam at the center instead of a core. Each layer of foam that surround that would be less and less dense, the outer most likely being open cell. This would be done so that every surface of the "rock" has these layers. At no point would the diameter be less than 4". This in theory should be just as easy as building any other weapon.
Squire to Sir Killian
Karr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tails » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:59 am

Go for it, I mean what's the worst that happens? you have a failing peice of foam sitting around your house. I think all fighters have one of those somewhere . . .
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Karr » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:28 pm

Thanks Tails! I guess I would always have a pillow then. I tend to forget to bring one to events...
Squire to Sir Killian
Karr
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tails » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:32 pm

Be sure to post your results. There are a few people lingering around that appreciate the art of rocks.
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Sir Guts » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:48 pm

one of the best rocks i ever saw was the one chavez made, were he crocheted a cover for his rock. he compressed the opencell a bit i believe and the thing had like the weight of a hackey sack, but still legal. It threw like a dream. Also come to Beltaine or Equinox....Rock tourney FTW
Guts, sometimes Gutz
Sir Guts
Brute
Brute

Location: a box inside a box that is next to another box on top of a third box
Realm: Nightfort
Unit: Brotherhood Of The Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gross Burger and Dagger

Postby Wick » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:46 pm

Rather than layering the inside you can add weight or layers to the outside. If you can afford it, buy heavier fabric, or put several layers of light fabric over plain old couch foam. That added weight will help it to fly better, and you won't have to worry about your layers inside being misconstrued as a "core." I hope that helps. - Wick
Wick
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 1993
Realm: Dur Demarion
Unit: Honorary Status with EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: ROCKS, ROCKS, AND MORE ROCKS!!!

Postby Arrakis » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:57 am

Wick wrote:Rather than layering the inside you can add weight or layers to the outside. If you can afford it, buy heavier fabric, or put several layers of light fabric over plain old couch foam. That added weight will help it to fly better, and you won't have to worry about your layers inside being misconstrued as a "core." I hope that helps. - Wick

This man right here knows his rocks.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Return to Foam Smithing