flails

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

flails

Postby Purgatory » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:56 pm

so i donno if this has been addressed... nor do i know where to look for this. im attempting a flail. i did once before and it was not pretty lol.

its the hinge. it says chain in the BoW but is that allowed? be nice....
id love some advice for this for rules and perhaps a few pointers... thanks in advance
Poppy the daughter of Lord Greed, Admin to Purgatory in Grimmwood.
Purgatory
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 17 Sep 2008
Realm: Grimmwood
Unit: Purgatory
Favorite Fighting Styles: we have it all-even rocks

Re: flails

Postby Badger » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:12 pm

Badger
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 10 Sep 2011
Realm: Sword Coast
Unit: SCFSU

Postby Purgatory » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:18 pm

that is a very awesome link. i go to that site daily. but it doesnt answer i i can use chain for .. well the chain. given the rule is no metal core for a weapon.. would that be considered.
Purgatory
Underling
Underling

Postby Hakan » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:56 pm

It says chain because the rope in the flail is used as the "chain" that an actual flail would have (not that our flails have any semblance of real flails) Please do not try to use real chain. Please.
Numenorean & Stygian Expatriate
Rules Clarification and Rewrite Committee Contributor
Former President of BMCS {2020 - 2022}
Artificers Guild Mentor {Focus: Foamsmithing}
Order of the Raised Goblet
President of Rath
Hakan
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2004
Realm: Rath
Unit: Brotherhood of the Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Snark
Pronouns: He/They

Postby Badger » Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:09 pm

accursedoffenrir wrote:that is a very awesome link. i go to that site daily. but it doesnt answer i i can use chain for .. well the chain. given the rule is no metal core for a weapon.. would that be considered.

Honestly? Why would you? It would only make the weapon heavier. Not to mention the obvious, you are gonna seriously hurt someone. So why even ask? Use some common sense.
Badger
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 10 Sep 2011
Realm: Sword Coast
Unit: SCFSU

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:22 pm

I just though of like...50 catastrophic things that could result from this being made.....j-hooks turn into castration....
Once you have taken a few punches and realized your not made of glass,you don't feel alive unless your pushing yourself as far as you can go.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 2008
Realm: Talinor
Unit: Order of Endor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red,Two Weapon, S&B, Archery.

Postby Cyric » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:51 pm

In the link, the first build the bag that the flail head goes into is the chain. the second is the rope. make sure to include dingleberries.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Thumbs » Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:52 pm

these exploded * have been brought to you by the Accursed of Fenrir
Do good recklessly
Thumbs
Barbarian
Barbarian

Realm: stygia
Unit: Gelf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, spear
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Purgatory » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:52 pm

these exploded * have been brought to you by the Accursed of Fenrir

i dont get why ppl would be knocked for asking for more experienced ppl questions for something that is unknown to them. i havent made a flail, yet it seems that the forums are the "wrong" place to ask for advice ? is taht what im getting Thumbs?]
Purgatory
Underling
Underling

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:09 pm

pepople make fun of people on the boards man. its a fact of belagarth life. you should see the **** i went off on man. do not pull a me please. i got REAAAAaMMMMEEEEDD! just learn to take it lightly and joke back. if you have a genuine problem with someone like giggles did with me, taking mine and his argument into mukltiple threads and then posting my private photos, usually ignore them or take it to a moderator. i did neither he just chose to stop egging me on. just some advice bro.
Once you have taken a few punches and realized your not made of glass,you don't feel alive unless your pushing yourself as far as you can go.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Dyn » Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:39 pm

Its not the fact that you're new. Its the fact that you seem to be asking if you can use real chain in making a weapon. That means hitting people with metal. Its common sense. You show that on the boards, you'll be fine. Also, the search function here is your friend.

Edited for spelling.
Aonaibh Ri Chéile!
Dyn
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 14 Feb 2010
Favorite Fighting Styles: Whatever's handy

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:27 am

That is still some of the funniest **** I've ever seen, Selfridge lol seriously hilarious. At least you made people laugh, when I was first starting out people didn't understand * I was talking about, even tho I couldn't stop talking lol.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Peregrine » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:43 am

Remy the Wroth wrote:... when I was first starting out people didn't understand * I was talking about, even tho I couldn't stop talking lol.

not much has changed
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:42 am

Man i read that **** again just to look at myself. you ever wanted to punch yourself?? its kinda like that. still funny but i had some serious * issues at the time.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:54 am

Selfridge wrote:Man i read that **** again just to look at myself. you ever wanted to punch yourself?? its kinda like that. still funny but i had some serious * issues at the time.

Everyday, my man. Everyday * day. lol. The thing is, at some point you start to learn that someone or a group of people who are honest enough to tell you to your face that you're a tool, these people aren't you enemy and you should be thankful that they thought you mature enough to take it with out you're 'feelings' getting hurt.
Since you're in the PacNW, where I too reside, and are ever at an event and want to glean some insight, find me and I'll try to do my best to give you some hard-learned lessons that you might be able to utilize in your life. lol. I turned 25 and now I'm such an old man.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Oh yea i hear ya there. and im thinkin about trying to make western wars as well as chaos this year. maybe ill see you there man.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:24 pm

You should mos def try to make it to WW it's insane; the fighting is clean, intense and most everybody has been fighting with each other for 5+ years. And the night-life is just bananus.

Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Postby Purgatory » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:31 pm

meh dont bother me but its the god complex that gets me,the i know everything crap. yea i asked if i could do chain. hell you can have a metal core for a shield and a wood core for weapons so since you have to pad the "chain" and its not a core..

as for being new, yea i make mistakes, but id rather learn from them and help out new ppl then pretend that i am gods gift to belegarth lol

as for events.. i had a someone who weapons check for events check my weapons i make and they all passed surprisingly enough! so im looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you at the events, and fighting with/aginst you!
Purgatory
Underling
Underling

Postby Peregrine » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:19 am

Dyn wrote:Its not the fact that you're new. Its the fact that you seem to be asking if you can use real chain in making a weapon. That means hitting people with metal. Its common sense. You show that on the boards, you'll be fine. Also, the search function here is your friend.

Edited for spelling.

Actually he was not advocating the use of chain he was confused as why it would be allowed.
I have seen flails made for other games where the chain on flails uses plastic garden chain, these would not pass Bel do to entanglement,nor do i think it would hold up well for our sport. but it did not hurt to be hit by the chain. to be hit by plastic chain might sting if there was no ball attached to it, but at the length we use it would be safe enough.
something about polyvinylchloride leaching into the brain, causing slow reactions and high crossing. -Sir Beauregaurd-

Sir Peregrine the Paragon of Paladins
Thengel of Muxlovia.
Loyal brother in arms to Sir Beauregaurd

Clan of the Hydra
Peregrine
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2004
Realm: Muxlovia
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: sword and board
florentine
archery

Postby Thumbs » Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:31 pm

accursedoffenrir wrote:as for events.. i had a someone who weapons check for events check my weapons i make and they all passed surprisingly enough! so im looking forward to hopefully meeting some of you at the events, and fighting with/aginst you!

good for you on your weapons passing. my first weapons were so archaically made that I woulda been laughed outta events.
Do good recklessly
Thumbs
Barbarian
Barbarian

Realm: stygia
Unit: Gelf
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, spear
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Purgatory » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:10 pm

good for you on your weapons passing. my first weapons were so archaically made that I woulda been laughed outta events.

yea i was happy. been smithing for 5 yrs, so having someone that was a events checker passing it was a awesome feeling. i was extremely happy.
Purgatory
Underling
Underling

Return to Foam Smithing