Multiple Buliding Questions.

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Multiple Buliding Questions.

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:18 pm

1. Are Forged Foam re blades worth it? i find myself not that great at making boxes on tiny cores and all i have are some old longsword cores. so i want to be lazy.

2. Is DAP or Gorrilla Glue better for securing frys to cores.

3.Can i put led fish wieghts (small ones) in my cross gourd and knuckle guard? (think cutlass without a full basket hilt, just the knuckles)
Once you have taken a few punches and realized your not made of glass,you don't feel alive unless your pushing yourself as far as you can go.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jun 2008
Realm: Talinor
Unit: Order of Endor
Favorite Fighting Styles: Red,Two Weapon, S&B, Archery.

Re: Multiple Buliding Questions.

Postby randy » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:19 pm

2. Dap is better than gorrilla glue for securing.
3. lead fish weights need to be secured really really well. I have had more than a few wiggle their way out of the pommel, cross guard, and core to become flying missiles. (Sorry Nash!)
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Unit: rogue company

Postby Glass » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:24 am

Sword fries are cheap and quick, well worth it for the most part.

In my opinion never use gorilla glue, it's very brittle when dry and isn't a good adhesive for swords.
Squire to Sir Treethump
Glass
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2009
Realm: Numenor

Postby varadin » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:25 am

1. Yes absolutely, They break down eventually but for the cost/simplicity they work great for what they are. If you want to get a bit more life out of a sword it requires a lot more work.
2. Both? I swear by using both on the core layer of a weapon Dap works great but gorrila glue holds really well when its not getting beat up and breaking thus for core layers it works great. I dap everything then right before I put it all together I add a small bead of gorilla glue down the length on either side works great.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby bo1 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:55 am

1. yes they are good. there are more expensive, but more durable options out there.

2. dap, rough core with sand paper first

3. perhaps but i dont see the point, adding weight above you hand is less effiecent than adding wieght under your hand. a while ago i had arrakis do math for me and he said that under or below hand is most efficent use of wieght. use a .5 by .125 strap steel from any hardware store. use one strip down each side of your handle, it is now oblong and more than enough counter wieght. plus as a bonus steel isnt toxic and wont ever have a chance of leeching into you through the handle. it is a long shot, but why risk it.
Sir Beauregaurd Brutus Elevo
Knight of Rhun
High Commander of
Clan of the Hydra
That's Mr. Implacable to you.
If you disagree disrespectfully, the boards are a much better read.
Dane
bo1
The Nightbringer

Favorite Fighting Styles: whatever peter the quick is doing just like everyone else

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:00 pm

Interesting. the reason i was going to but weight above the hand was every time i weight the pommel it feels like its pulling me around, if that makes any sense. then i centered my weight on the cross guard of my next sword, and got more the..extension of the arm feel. im not good with all the mathematics so almost everything is by feel for me. i like your method though seems like it would fit right in to what i want.

i totally spaced that on lead thanks for the reminder. will a hardware store know what im lookin for if i just say strap steel and the size i need?
Once you have taken a few punches and realized your not made of glass,you don't feel alive unless your pushing yourself as far as you can go.
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Arrakis » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:57 pm

You want steel stock, bar stock, steel rectangle stock, that sort of thing. Just ask where steel bars or metal stock is.

If you find it's coming out too counterweighted when you get it fat enough in the handle, mix metals. Use steel for the top half of the handle and aluminum for the bottom half, for example.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:58 pm

schweeet thanks guys. ace here carries it all so once i get this cash i should have some decent weapons for Chaos. realized im doin gretat with garb but all i got is an underweight short blue and a shield...i got work to do..lol. oh and to clarify why the blue is underwight its like..2 feet exactly and wighs 11 and a half ounces....sometimes i hate building things..lol
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Atman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:38 am

If you can shave even a very small fraction of an inch off of its length it will pass. Weapons under 24" have no weight minimum.
Atman
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Horde

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:58 am

Half an ounce is like, 2-4 3" strips of Gorilla tape or heavier-duct-tape.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:06 pm

yea i suppose a 15 inc blade doesent need a 7 inch handle...i dont even know how i did that....
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Boz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:36 pm

With the sword fryes I have been buying them and cutting out the routed layer.. and dapping them over top of a box of floor foam to make my swords (done it with reds expeirmenting now with blues... if any one has done it lemme know how its turned out)
Boz
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 02 Dec 2001
Realm: Militia
Unit: Division 9
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Spear

Postby Arrakis » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Why not just buy a fat sheet of 2# PE or MC and cut that into strips?

Should be cheaper.
Arrakis
Warning: Knows Math

Started Fighting: 17 Jun 2007
Realm: Crystal Groves
Unit: Omega
Favorite Fighting Styles: No gimmicks.
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Boz » Thu Mar 22, 2012 9:34 pm

Might have to try it.. Just ordered a buncha fryes so might do that with the next batch.. Any place you recomend ordering from ?
Boz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Savage » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:53 am

Western Uruk-Hai
Red Eye Tribe
White Skull
Raen Dun'Aear Warhost
Savage
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 20 Jun 2005
Realm: Raen Dun Aear
Unit: Western Uruk Hai

Postby Durzo » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:41 am

1. Reblade kits are nice and headache free. If you are just starting to build swords this is a cool way to go. If you need to crank out a lot of swords in a hurry, this is a good way to go. In the end, this is not the cheapest but the most hassle free.
2. Gorilla glue has this nasty tendency to get all sharp and prickly when it dries. The bond is strong, but also very unyielding. I find it causes disbonds to happen quicker. This may be because I fail, but I wouldn't use it on cores.
3. Weight is a comfort thing. If you dig it on top of your hand do it up brudda. Start a trend, whatevs. Does no one use pennies anymore? I feel outdated and behind the curve. Neigh useless...

evil randy wrote:2. Dap is better than gorrilla glue for securing.
3. lead fish weights need to be secured really really well. I have had more than a few wiggle their way out of the pommel, cross guard, and core to become flying missiles. (Sorry Nash!)

That was Dash the sword almost knocked out like a chump. Nash wouldn't have noticed because Nash is built of metal and rage.
Durzo
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 20 Oct 2005
Unit: Forsaken
Favorite Fighting Styles: Dirty Shieldman

Postby Flynn Cu Maige » Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:35 pm

yea i been experimenting with the gorilla glue. not diggin it at all.

i still use pennies but they dont make alot of difference untill you have an ugly ungodly amont of them on the weapon making it twice as weird feeling and bulky. i used fish weights in the pommel until i turned a sword into a gun by one of them busting through both tape caps(i thought tape would be safe enough because it wasent stabbing...WRONG), out the tip of my sword and into somones helm. needless to say from that point on i have capped every hollow core i use with a penny..or just nopt used hollow cores lol.

i want to try arrakis idea but i also had an idea ive seen at Chaos. soldering wire??they sell this other stuff thats not solder but its like...it looks like the silver version of a ground wire in house wiring> thats the best description i got. looks exactly like solder though...idk im pretty frickin newbish even after a couple years at this
Flynn Cu Maige
Underling
Underling

Postby Boz » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:48 pm

Different methods to counter weighting are Bar stock... Pennies.. Washers lining the handle.. a good sized bolt in the pommle..magnet strips (sold at walmart) does a great job.. also wire wrapped into your handle before u tape and rope it depending how much you need.
Boz
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:19 pm

My head exploded.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby Atman » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:28 am

If you can find it, this is the best counterweighting material I have found-http://www.sportchalet.com/product/fishing/general+fishing+accessories/terminal+tackle/301664_2120790.do It is dense enough that you can get nearly all of the weight you will ever need in a blue inside the pommel.
Atman
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Horde

Return to Foam Smithing