Advise on axe balance

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Advise on axe balance

Postby Tulkas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:10 pm

I am building a poleaxe/halberd and the darn thing practically spins out of my hand unless i hit exactly dead center. does anyone have any sage advise on how to manage this quirk or is this just the nature of the beast?
Tulkas
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2005

Re: Advise on axe balance

Postby Tails » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:33 pm

Grip tape on the handle?
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Tulkas » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:44 pm

yes that is already being used and it helps as long as i ware gloves, or else when the blade turns it tares up my hands lol.
Tulkas
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Oct 2005

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:08 pm

In all honesty, and this is coming from a guy who plays a Viking and uses a 5' dane axe on the rare occasion, don't build giant axes.

They're interesting, they're cool if you want to have a certain look, but they hit like a *, they catch wind and angle away from your target, and they're unwieldy. You hurt your game by restricting yourself so.

However, if you deem that you must use one, or you want precise control on long/heavy/rounded weapon handles (glaives, long swords), you need to oblong the handle. Search the boards and you'll find instruction on that subject.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby randy » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:30 pm

hand axe

I have been building a few different variations. I started with the design linked (specifically the hand axe. Only on a longer pole ofcourse.

I really like using plank foam shield scraps. They have the right amount of strength to weight ratio. I used DAP (ofcourse) to attach the core to the foam. then used plastic box tape to torque wrap the foam to the handle (think lashing pieces of wood together) During this, I took a thin piece of leather and connected/lined the inside curve of the foam to the core. Again lots of torque wrapping.

For the striking edge, I used layers of yoga mat. I tried camp pad and didn't think it would pass a hit test. The yoga mat is just soft enough that you get a big thump from the weapon without the pain associated with a larger weapon.

For cloth cover, I tried several different things. Finally deciding that 2 layers of womens trouser socks was easiest and looked better than grip tape. If your patient, you can make a cover out of cloth, but for a gimmick weapon im not that invested in making a cover.

Pictures:

randy
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Unit: rogue company

Postby Forkbeard » Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:51 am

I like the shape of those ax heads.
You need more haft padding on those knuckle breakers, though.

To the OP,
To oblong your handle:strip you handle all the way down to the core. Glue a peice of wooded dowel to the EDGE side of the handle area of the core. Glue them on REAL good. After this is dry, put glue on the whole thing, let it get tacky and wrap it with rope.
With an oblong handle you can keep your edge direction under control at all times. This is better for your fighting on many levels.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby randy » Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:33 am

Forkbeard wrote:I like the shape of those ax heads.
You need more haft padding on those knuckle breakers, though.

Yeah Rev said the same thing. I added a couple feet of MC along the striking side of them. I was using pipe insulation, but that **** falls apart too quick.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Unit: rogue company

Postby codyaaron » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:26 pm

hi guys good day im aaron and a new member here.I'm planning to make hand axe and i don't know how to start so thankful that i see something like this here thank you randy for posting some info's about the hand axe now i have idea
I wish i had henckels knife because then I could keep both Dracula and Superman away
codyaaron
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 16 May 2012

Return to Foam Smithing