Plaid Flannel Covers?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Plaid Flannel Covers?

Postby Kael McBrian » Tue May 01, 2012 11:23 pm

Well, I had a lot of questions and thus decided to split them into two posts.

As far as foam smithing goes, I just want to know if patterned fabrics are allowed as sword/shield covers, and wanted to ask about flannel covers. Would they be allowed? Would they work well?

Any help is appreciated! This is my first post, but I've been lurking for a bit, so I'll just apologize to Forkbeard in advance if these are stupid questions.
Kael McBrian
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2009
Realm: Numenor

Re: Plaid Flannel Covers?

Postby Forkbeard » Wed May 02, 2012 7:03 am

While there are no rules about this aside from NO modern prints, it it a terrible idea.
Sword covers should be sword colored. Black, grey or brown. Patterned weapon covers look like clown *. Why do you want your weapons to look like colorful clown *? Whats wrong with making them look like weapons?
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Black Cat » Wed May 02, 2012 8:07 am

Sword covers are meant to imitate the color of the blade of your weapon.

About the only time you should really be using strange colors for sword covers is if you are simulating fantasy metals such as blue or white-silver mythril, adamantine/adamantite, "obsidian", etc.. Or if you are making a knock-off of a Rider's Blade or other similar fantasy sword, such as Zar'roc, Brisingr, or Tamerlein. I have never seen a fantasy blade with a blade coloration that looks anything like patterned fabric.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

We're all mad here! - The Cheshire Cat

The secret lies in Fandir's grasp.
Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 May 2005
Unit: Untamed

Postby Tails » Wed May 02, 2012 9:58 am

What about people who have weapon covers to match their garb/unit/realm? I think that looks cool.
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Black Cat » Wed May 02, 2012 10:29 am

Tails wrote:What about people who have weapon covers to match their garb/unit/realm? I think that looks cool.

Most garb, realm, or unit colors are regular solid colors. Sword covers in such colors basically represent fantasy swords with colored blades in my opinion.

The only point I was really trying to make is that patterned fabric does not belong on Belegarth weapons. It looks silly and ruins the appearance of the sword. Fantasy swords may have patterns, but those patterns never cover or tile across the entire blade. Especially not in the way that modern patterned fabric does.

Edit: I should probably add that anything I have said in this thread is just my personal opinion on the matter. Just in case anyone starts thinking I am trying to put words in Forkbeard's or my realm's mouth(s).
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Atman » Wed May 02, 2012 1:03 pm

When your sword is one of three hundred in a pile at weapons check you will appreciate having one that is not gray black or brown. Sponge-bob print etc, is probably a bad idea even though it is within the rules, a subdued plaid pattern is perfectly acceptable to the rules AND the vast majority of fighters. I would not hesitate to use it myself and neither should you. Shields tend to receive even more leeway than weapons for patterns and such because they were historically painted and most basic fabric prints could have conceivably been painted to match.
Atman
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Horde

Postby Korbin the Mad » Wed May 02, 2012 1:43 pm

Atman wrote:When your sword is one of three hundred in a pile at weapons check you will appreciate having one that is not gray black or brown. Sponge-bob print etc, is probably a bad idea even though it is within the rules, a subdued plaid pattern is perfectly acceptable to the rules AND the vast majority of fighters. I would not hesitate to use it myself and neither should you. Shields tend to receive even more leeway than weapons for patterns and such because they were historically painted and most basic fabric prints could have conceivably been painted to match.

Truth. And guess what? The only person who has to like it is YOU. If you want flannel, stripes or some other weird pattern, do it. Makes your weapon easy to identify and despite the responses here, no one else will care.

I have a mace I made for my wife with a pink/black striped cover. Haters gonna hate.

ETA: just reread the above statement. I still agree except for the spongebob thing. That's a modern print. Against the BOW.
Last edited by Korbin the Mad on Thu May 03, 2012 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad|House Dunamai
Mad Lord of House Dunamai and the Madlands
Usufructary of Ancilla Ignis
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-10-2003
Realm: Arnor
Unit: House Dunamai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Mace and Board
Spear
Archery

Postby Kael McBrian » Wed May 02, 2012 1:51 pm

Well, thanks for the feedback. Atman had the long and short of it. I think if my covers were cut from the same cloth as my kilt, it would be a nice overall effect, and would be a lot easier than trying to paint a crest or something on my gear.

Given that I'm not that into historical accuracy, I'll probably go ahead and use my original idea, since there are no rules against it.

I'm still curious about the flannel though. Would the material work well as a cover? What makes good cover fabric?
Kael McBrian
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Tails » Wed May 02, 2012 9:38 pm

trigger/target

Also duck IMO

stressing IMO
"Favorite Fighting Styles: adsfdsfsdssdsdsd"
-Seanyviala-
Tails
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 22 Aug 2007
Realm: Morva
Unit: Clan of the Hydra
Favorite Fighting Styles: Working the Pole
Pronouns: Drip / Drop

Postby Forkbeard » Thu May 03, 2012 6:12 am

Trigger IS the best.
Flannel sucks and will rip very quickly.
Sponge bob IS illegal and will fail at major events, It IS a modern print.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Kael McBrian » Thu May 03, 2012 10:58 pm

While I don't doubt that FB is right and that a Spongebob print sword wold be disallowed at events (I've never been to one, so I can't REALLY say, but I digress...), the only rule I could find that mentions covers on blue weapons is the following:

1.3.6. All striking surfaces must have a cloth covering.

This says NOTHING about the covering's material or pattern.

Perhaps the rules should be updated.
Kael McBrian
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Korbin the Mad » Thu May 03, 2012 11:07 pm

Kael McBrian wrote:While I don't doubt that FB is right and that a Spongebob print sword wold be disallowed at events (I've never been to one, so I can't REALLY say, but I digress...), the only rule I could find that mentions covers on blue weapons is the following:

1.3.6. All striking surfaces must have a cloth covering.

This says NOTHING about the covering's material or pattern.

Perhaps the rules should be updated.

Appendix B, 1.3.5. It's in the Garb section but applies to weapon covers as well. I can't copy and paste since I'm on my phone but go there and see for yourself.

Modern prints are stupid anyway. Doesn't mean you can't have awesome colorful covers, just no spongebob or scooby or mw3 or Adidas junk etc.
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey

Spear
Archery

Postby Atman » Fri May 04, 2012 12:33 am

I stand corrected, modern print spongebob is outside the rules (one must update their memory of the BoW as it changes). However, the subjectivity of that particular rule remains and lax enforcement of said rule still permits blatantly modern fabrics to pass weapons check.
Atman
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 8-2006
Realm: Tir Asleen
Unit: Horde

Postby Forkbeard » Fri May 04, 2012 6:58 am

When weapon check is done right, by checkers with **** SPINES, all the print covers fail as they should.
Bad heralding and weapon checking DOES allow certain **** to get on the field, but it is wrong and **** up.
FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Black Cat » Fri May 04, 2012 12:06 pm

Actually, I just remembered that I have seen all kinds of different wild blade colors in medieval fantasy games and other media over the years. Frostmourne even glows a neon-ish blue color.

Though I still must say that I have never seen medieval fantasy swords with blades patterned like plaid or other printed fabrics. Has anyone else ever seen such a thing? I highly doubt it.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Korbin the Mad » Fri May 04, 2012 12:10 pm

The rule isn't there to keep you from having a cool cover. It's there to keep tv characters and stuff off the covers and garb. It's intentionally vague to allow lots of freedom and easy use.

There's nothing wrong with colorful patterns. Allowing someone to have stuff like that isn't bad heralding or lax checking, it's following the rules. Until the BoW tells us we can't have any kind of flashy cover, people will continue to have colorful patterns if all sorts on their weapons. Myself included.

If weapons were supposed to have single silos color covers that we're supposed to be blade-colored, the BoW would say so. It does not, and if that's such a bad thing, it's on the Council. I think it's just fine the way it is.
ImageImageImage
Korbin Arhantas Dunamai
Korbin the Mad
Monkey
Monkey

Spear
Archery

Postby Black Cat » Fri May 04, 2012 12:40 pm

Just to be clear, if I see a plaid, striped, etc. sword cover at an event, I'm not going to bother having any problem with it because I'll be too busy yakking, fighting, or doing something else. The rare times I actually show up to an event, I go to one to participate in it. Not to criticize other peoples' gear.

But if I ever see Spongebob Squarepants printed all over anyone's sword cover, I'm going to either laugh or roll my eyes depending on my mood, then go tell a herald. Silly cartoon **** crosses the line into absurdity.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Zeldrine Cold » Fri May 04, 2012 12:43 pm

Black Cat wrote:But if I ever see Spongebob Squarepants printed all over anyone's sword cover, I'm going to either laugh or roll my eyes depending on my mood, then go tell a herald. Silly cartoon **** crosses the line into absurdity.

I can't remember the last time you were at an event for longer than 5 minutes.
Mefit the Geek wrote:You'll get what I give you and like it!
Zeldrine Cold
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Realm: Acheron
Unit: EBF
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby Black Cat » Fri May 04, 2012 12:48 pm

Zeldrine Cold wrote:
Black Cat wrote:But if I ever see Spongebob Squarepants printed all over anyone's sword cover, I'm going to either laugh or roll my eyes depending on my mood, then go tell a herald. Silly cartoon **** crosses the line into absurdity.

I can't remember the last time you were at an event for longer than 5 minutes.

Probably because it has been almost a full year since I have been to an event. That and I didn't do much fighting at the last one I went to because I was tired as * the whole day on Saturday. I don't know how you people sleep on the ground in your tents like that and get any real rest.

I would call being there Friday night to Saturday up until right after feast a hell of a lot longer than five minutes of being there.

In case you haven't figured it out, I am talking about Yestare XI. Not sure if you seen me do it or not, but I bought a quiver from Burke and a shield blank from Fitz while I was there.
Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tiberius Claudius » Fri May 04, 2012 7:32 pm

Black Cat wrote:I don't know how you people sleep on the ground in your tents like that and get any real rest.
Practice, good camping materials, plenty of booze to knock you out, lots of water the next day, and a willingness to just deal with being tired and possibly sore because we get to fight against 100+ people and party afterwards with quality folks.

It's all about mind over matter: if you don't mind, it don't matter.
Remy the Wroth wrote:Just don't call it boffing/boffering. That's not what we do. We fight. With swords. To the sorta-death. I can't stand it when someone says boffering. Plus is means sexin' in the UK.

RIP Surt, Adunakhor of Barad'dun
Tiberius Claudius
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 20 May 2009
Realm: An Tir Dearg - Realm Leader
Unit: War Wolves of An Tir Dearg
Favorite Fighting Styles: S&B, spear, longsword

Postby Kael McBrian » Fri May 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Of course, the garb section! Thanks for the input everybody. I'll ask the veteran guys in my realm what they think before I do anything too final. I don't want to be using anything that would get me kicked off the field, after all.

Going back to the historic simulation train of thought, what if I'm just a weird guy, and paint my blade before battles? And happen to be good at painting plaid patterns? :D I've already decided not to actually be Scottish, but instead come from a fantasy nation which bears some odd similarities, so perhaps plaid sword-painting could be one of their many odd traditions!
Kael McBrian
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Forkbeard » Sun May 06, 2012 12:04 pm

Finding stupid ways to justify stupid **** is not "fantasy". It is not illegal, but it is still **** stupid. Things do not need to be illegal to be dumb.
When people look at pictures of you fighting, do you want them to think"thats a bad mother ****" or do you want them to think"Hey, it's nerds playing role models"?
A great many people feel it's ok to look like a teenage nerd in pajamas playing D&D dressup. I could see why you'd want to go that way, sure.

FB

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Tue May 08, 2012 5:31 am

Look, you CAN make plaid weapon covers. You CAN also drive a car with your feet, that doesn't mean that you should.

I skimmed this thread, so maybe someone already mentioned it, but there is no better way to look like Joe Noob than to make you weapon covers out of the same fabric as your garb. Having seen it done before, it looks especially **** when it's a patterned fabric. It also makes you seem like a cheap * for not going out to spend the extra $2.50 on a yard of trigger poplin that will make you some decent long lasting weapon covers.

If you want any respect from anyone, I, like most everyone else in this thread, would advise against making plaid weapon covers.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Forkbeard » Tue May 08, 2012 6:24 am

Nicely done.

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Postby Black Cat » Tue May 08, 2012 6:56 am

Rowan wrote:You CAN also drive a car with your feet...

Yabba Dabba Doo!

Aquilonian Cheshire Cat
Local Bakeneko
Black Cat of Ill Omen

Fandir? Thirteen.
Black Cat
Veteran
Veteran

Postby X of Grayscale » Fri May 18, 2012 5:27 pm

My opinion, i dont think there should be a pattern on the cover of my sword. But i dont give a **** whats on your ****. i dont have to take it home. it doesnt hurt my eyes when i look at it. and i shouldnt be worrying about your sword i should be trying to kill you. so dude rock out whatever you want to rock out
X
Squire to Sir Killian
Captain of Grayscale
BMCS Vice President
X of Grayscale
Belegarth Vice President

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2008
Realm: Bael Turath
Unit: Grayscale
Favorite Fighting Styles: Archery/S&B
Pronouns: He/Him

Postby Lynard » Fri May 18, 2012 10:43 pm

I did this to mine.

Image The Pictures

~I'm with Black Company, you know the good guys.
~I'm probably going to regret this.
And then we found a kittens.
Lynard
Bandit
Bandit

Started Fighting: 10 Jun 2004

Postby Mekoot Rowan » Mon May 21, 2012 4:16 pm

Lynard wrote:I did this to mine.

You're a bad person.

So am I though, I like the shiny.
Murder Tundra Horde
Spike wrote:This is the funniest thing I've ever read on these boards and the rest of you are bad at things generally, too.

Tiberius Claudius wrote:I don't get cosplay. It's like a weekend-long Halloween in a hotel where everyone gets the herp, but there's no candy.
Mekoot Rowan
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 15 Oct 2001
Realm: Frozen North
Unit: Murder Tundra Horde
Favorite Fighting Styles: Southern Praying Mantis

Postby Sleeper » Wed May 23, 2012 9:03 pm

Black Cat wrote:Just to be clear, if I see a plaid, striped, etc. sword cover at an event, I'm not going to bother having any problem with it because I'll be too busy yakking, fighting, or doing something else. The rare times I actually show up to an event, I go to one to participate in it. Not to criticize other peoples' gear.

This^^^
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Return to Foam Smithing