Javs with spear hooks?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Javs with spear hooks?

Postby newbiefourtyseven » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:55 am

Is it legal to have a jav with a spear hook, and how does one go about making one, so that its as safe as possible, if it is legal? I searched around, but havnt found much one way or the other on the subject. I've made a spear hook on a short spear, that didnt anywhere near make weight for a jav, and I'm now wanting to make a similar but much lighter weapon, to also have the ability to occasionally throw it, but, the weaker more flexible core wouldnt be handy, if the hook makes it illegal to throw.

Any information about this would really be handy.
I have not heard anything good about this group. They are one of a small number of realms around the country who seem to think that nerking combat and using **** weapons make it "fun" for their members. It seems to me they mean sucking at fighting is "fun" for them.

FB
newbiefourtyseven
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Mar 2012
Realm: Unaffiliated
Unit: None
Favorite Fighting Styles: Shield(r)+Javelin(l), right handed.

Re: Javs with spear hooks?

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:53 am

No, that is not legal.
Javlins are Javlins. Spears can have hooks though.
I just made a very slick pole hammer with a gnarly hook on it that strong enough to hang from.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Derian » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:26 am

It's not explicitly illegal, but in practice. I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's pretty much impossible to build a shield hook on to a javelin while keeping that javelin otherwise safe. They're pretty much mutually exclusive. Just build a spear and pick up a javelin off the ground if you need to throw one.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Started Fighting: 01 Apr 2001
Realm: Nan Belegorn
Unit: Hellhammer
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword & Board
Pronouns: He / Him

Postby newbiefourtyseven » Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks guys, appreciate it, saved me alot of time and some foam, being able to ask you guys and get a quick answer.
I have not heard anything good about this group. They are one of a small number of realms around the country who seem to think that nerking combat and using **** weapons make it "fun" for their members. It seems to me they mean sucking at fighting is "fun" for them.

FB
newbiefourtyseven
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Shell » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:01 pm

Forkbeard wrote:I just made a very slick pole hammer with a gnarly hook on it that strong enough to hang from.

I'm going to want to see how that pole was made. Bring it to next Saturday practice?
Shell
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jul 2010
Realm: Salt Lake City

Postby Forkbeard » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:09 am

Next one im at.
It might be a few weeks, im going out of town.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Dabbanoth » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Javelins with shield hooks are legal they just have to be padded safely enough all over so as to not risk injuring anyone when thrown.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby newbiefourtyseven » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:41 am

Have you ever seen in done? I am thinking....given the right foam, I could treat the hook as the same as the core, pad it the same way, and make it safe for getting hit in the face, though, a bit less effective as a hook. Then, the flexibility of the core kinda comes into play, too flexible of a core=waste of time hook, and too heavy of a core=fail for weight.

If you could tell me how to go about it, or at least, how someone with some foam smithing skill would go about it, keeping it under weight, useful, and safe, I'd really appreciate it.

FB
newbiefourtyseven
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Cyric » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:56 am

No. Just no.

Hooks have to be made strong enough to pull with, and that means either dense (harder) foam, or lots of tape. Javelins, to be safe, need to be light and have soft foam at the tip. Adding a hook to one side is going to throw off the aerodynamics of a javelin and make it terribly inaccurate, and a lot of people are going to be hit with the some part of the javelin other than the soft squishy head. Like it was said before, not technically illegal, but pretty much impossible to make safely.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Derian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:32 am

Echoing Cyric (and myself) here. It's just not going to be possible to do in a way that is (in order of priority)

1) Safe - In order to make a shield hook that is durable enough to not pose a hazard when it's ripped off the haft, you'll need to make it significantly denser than normal haft padding via heavier foams and/or excessive tape. This same density poses a pretty big risk for facial injury on a javelin. Additionally, I don't believe it would be possible to make a javelin under the weight limit while maintaining the integrity of the hook.

2) Durable - This is because of pretty similar reasons listed above.

3) Effective - The added flex in a javelin will render it all but useless as a spear hook. On the other side of the coin, the extra weight at the head will cause it to function poorly when thrown.

With all that said, as it's not technically illegal, if you really, really want to ignore all this advice and try it out, you're free to do so. I should warn you that it's going to be difficult if not impossible to meet those above three conditions (well, really only the first two are all we care about as weapons checkers) and you should expect significant scrutiny and criticism before most people will accept such a weapon for use on the field.

Really, your best bet in this situation is to make yourself a well constructed 6-8 ft. low profile spear with a solid hook and a four or five foot kitespar javelin instead of trying to combine two very effective weapons and sacrificing exactly what gives that effectiveness in the process.
- Derian -

"An octopus has eight arms, three hearts, five *, two Super Bowl rings, a beak, and the power to solve crimes."
Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby newbiefourtyseven » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:28 pm

most definately, I hear you. I was looking for a challenge, something difficult to make, but, a hooked javvy isnt difficult, its impossible to do, if I want something useful at the end of the project. Think for my challenge, I'm going to try to make a max length jav that flies straight, and just keep tinkering till I get one that flies straight. I've heard of people putting fins on javs for stability...but, I've never seen it, and thats another one thats eluding me as how to make safe and durable. I know that's a different subject, but, is the fins for stability bad for the same reasons as a hook?

FB
newbiefourtyseven
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Derian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:48 pm

No. It doesn't generally create a safety issue. They're difficult to make durable and generally don't improve the flight characteristics in any significant way. Javelins don't really fly far or fast enough to benefit from stabilizers, which is why they're not seen very often.
- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby newbiefourtyseven » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks, appreciate the info. Guess there's a reason all the javs look about the same, lolz. I'm trying to learn as much as possible, about weapon construction, and you guys are being incredibly awesome in helping me with that, I appreciate it a ton.

FB
newbiefourtyseven
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Cyric » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:11 pm

You should probably work on getting the fundamentals first before you try to change the world. Chances are if you come up with a new idea, someone has already tried it before. Check the search function.
Knight of Numenor
Cyric
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 23 Aug 1999
Realm: Numenor
Unit: Knights of Numenor

Postby Mikhail » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:33 pm

newbiefourtyseven wrote:most definately, I hear you. I was looking for a challenge, something difficult to make, but, a hooked javvy isnt difficult, its impossible to do, if I want something useful at the end of the project. Think for my challenge, I'm going to try to make a max length jav that flies straight, and just keep tinkering till I get one that flies straight. I've heard of people putting fins on javs for stability...but, I've never seen it, and thats another one thats eluding me as how to make safe and durable. I know that's a different subject, but, is the fins for stability bad for the same reasons as a hook?

Alric of Drentha's made some max-length javs that he uses as throwable short-spears. Shoot him a PM; he's a good dude and I'm sure he'd be willing to give you pointers.

Edit: Derp, just remembered Alric plays Dagorhir mostly, and their javvie weight limit is different from ours. Still, he'd be worth looking up - I know he's made 13oz 7' spears before.
Also known as Monk.
Mikhail
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 2-2007
Favorite Fighting Styles: Passive aggression

Postby Dabbanoth » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:44 pm

I put all-tape stabilizing fins (like the fletchings on an arrow) on my javelins, at the pommel.
Your results may vary, but even fins only extending an inch out from the padding makes my javelins fly better than without.
God Squad
Bill Collector.
Expose-A-Fraud Squad.
Dabbanoth
The Smoking Gun

Started Fighting: 09 Aug 2057
Realm: Rugged
Unit: Divine Guardian of the Laser Kingdom
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bic.

Postby Derian » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:47 pm

- Derian -

Derian
Become One With the Wind

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:33 pm

Oh man, I remember this one kid in Tir Na nOg was putting mini turbines in his. Carried around 10 or more in a sheath on his back. Used to throw Javelin in track, so he was obviously a master. Wore leather pants. Wore a giant musketeer hat, feather-and-all not just at practices but just around on the town. Yeah. That guy.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Return to Foam Smithing