Axe Construction

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Axe Construction

Postby Severian » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:22 am

I've made plenty of swords, and now I want to have a go at making a couple of axes sometime soon. I'm noticing that in every good axe design there is open cell foam somewhere in the striking edges. Would a layer of marine foam as the last layer of foam work just as well? The marine foam I have is the *'s cushion that is rather thick. Are there any other things I should be aware of when building axes as compared to swords?
Severian
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 01 Aug 2010
Realm: Khatovar
Unit: The Black Company

Re: Axe Construction

Postby Richard le Gris » Thu Jul 12, 2012 3:09 pm

Probably better. Just don't restrict the sides of the marine foam over much, don't use it in sub-zero temperatures, reinforce the beard heavily, and don't get too attached to it. Also, expect to die a lot. Axes are somewhat gimmicky. Ultimately, you will just have to build it and see. There are plenty of posts about the proper care and feeding of ensolite/marine foam on this forum.

I feel like a thread necromancer.
Faute d'argent, en acier! ~ "For want of silver, steel!"
Richard le Gris
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-2007
Realm: Byzantium
Unit: Legion of House Manticore
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery

Postby LoganSteele » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:21 pm

When i have used a layer of marine foam on the outside on the striking edge i have had complaints from weapons checkers as it seems to cause a slap effect. I now put one layer of blue over the layer of marine foam with an outer layer of open cell. I use the more thin golds gym yoga mat for this.

I only run the marine foam up the striking edge however for i have found sandwiching it over the round top of a sword causes blowouts.

Thank you for pointing out where i said "flats" above. my mistake it was a mistype. All i have along the flats of my blades is a layer of blue from the box core then fiberglass strapping tape. I also will reinforce the stab tips with fun foam (a thin crafting foam) and i have heard of folks using leather for that also.
Last edited by LoganSteele on Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ambassador for Desert Wind Thane of Fenrirs Kin

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin
LoganSteele
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 03 Oct 2009
Realm: Desert Wind
Unit: Fenrirs Kin
Favorite Fighting Styles: reds - Javalin

Postby Matthias - Dun Abhon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:53 am

LoganSteele wrote:I only run the marine foam up the flats however for ive found sandwiching it over the round top of a sword causes blowouts.

Maybe I'm just dense, but I don't see how putting marine foam on the flats does anything other than weigh your sword down and waste your marine foam. You don't hit people with the flats, and the normal blade construction should pad it sufficiently that people aren't feeling core on the off-chance that they do get hit with the flat. At least, that's how every passing sword I've ever met has been.
Matthias - Dun Abhon
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 21 May 2006
Realm: Dun Abhon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and medium round punch shield

Postby LoganSteele » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:28 am

Edited. Thank you for pointing out my error in wording.
Ambassador for Desert Wind Thane of Fenrirs Kin

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both." Benjamin Franklin
LoganSteele
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 03 Oct 2009
Realm: Desert Wind
Unit: Fenrirs Kin
Favorite Fighting Styles: reds - Javalin

Return to Foam Smithing