Warlord Sports collapsible 7' medium pole?

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Warlord Sports collapsible 7' medium pole?

Postby Richard le Gris » Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Have any of you had a chance to play with one of these? It intrigues me, but I am wary of dropping $90+shipping for one of these if it isn't durable of core and tri-game legal. On the other claw, it beats messing around with max gain cores? I know that I would have to pad the middle section if I wanted to use it for a class 2. Thanks.
Faute d'argent, en acier! ~ "For want of silver, steel!"
Richard le Gris
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-2007
Realm: Byzantium
Unit: Legion of House Manticore
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery

Re: Warlord Sports collapsible 7' medium pole?

Postby Glass » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:22 pm

I'm interested in this too to be honest. I haven't even seen them for hit at events and known they were from WS. If anyone has anything from these guys, esp about the collapsible, it'd be great to learn about.
Squire to Sir Treethump
Glass
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2009
Realm: Numenor

Postby Triton » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:23 pm

I had one of their 36" "durable" swords and I snapped it the first practice I used it right at the handle. However, I would imagine that their poles would be substantially sturdier than their swords. The Durafoam that was on the sword was pretty neat though, and I think I read that that is what they put on the poles.
Triton
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2012
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Glaive

Postby Glass » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:26 pm

Medium 7' - $65.00
These polearms are all-purpose weapons, being equally at home at a small practice or a large war. The combine rigidity with low weight allowing a multitude of options in combat.

The core is a high-quality, high-strength fiberglass. The foam is cross-linked Durafoam and handles exceptionally well the rigors of combat. It is extremely durable and solid. The result is that these poles can last years without any maintenance.

These are legal in Amtgard, Belegarth, and Dagorhir, meeting all specified safety requirements. These should be legal in your local group... unless your local group is seriously wussy.

Weight: 1300g
Length: 7ft

This is off of their website
Squire to Sir Treethump
Glass
Underling
Underling

Postby Richard le Gris » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:23 am

Their "Durafoam" is just the same 2.2# cross-linked polyethylene that is in Kegg fries as near as I can tell from poking at it (they just shave off the corners with a bandsaw). That being said, it is pretty neat and I like it slightly more than I like 2# minicell. They are both very good foams for what we do, just slightly different in strengths and weaknesses (and both are substantially better over a 4# box or fry). They (WLS) are primarily selling to Amtgarders, so their definition of durable does not necessarily include folks like Forkbeard.
Faute d'argent, en acier! ~ "For want of silver, steel!"
Richard le Gris
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0-11-2007
Realm: Byzantium
Unit: Legion of House Manticore
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Archery

Postby randy » Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:59 pm

Dourn from Andor is taking one to chaos, with hopes of a full report when he gets back.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Started Fighting: 0- 0-1994
Unit: rogue company

Postby Glass » Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:11 am

evil randy wrote:Dourn from Andor is taking one to chaos, with hopes of a full report when he gets back.

Will look forward to this.
Squire to Sir Treethump
Glass
Underling
Underling

Postby Slagar » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:29 am

I used WLS sticks for about a year at one point, and they work just fine. Although they didn't pass for stabbing in Bel back when I used em.

The only guy I know who bought one of their old poles broke and called in the warranty on three before they just sent him his money back. And he's not the heaviest hitter in the game, either (not like Fox or Killian or whoever). So I completely endorse their swords, but don't know if I'd drop cash on their poles. Just my $0.02
Numenorean expatriate
Gaffi Stick of the Sand Plains
Retainer to Squire Trogdor
Slagar
Slayer
Slayer

Started Fighting: 18 Oct 2006
Unit: The Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board

Postby randy » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:19 pm

Not that im advocating for them, but they had a really bad batch of pole-vault cores in the beginning. I went through 2 I think, before they got it worked out. Since then, the 2 I have crush. You will have to add extra stab tip material to pass for bel.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Glass » Thu Jul 26, 2012 1:39 pm

evil randy wrote:Not that im advocating for them, but they had a really bad batch of pole-vault cores in the beginning. I went through 2 I think, before they got it worked out. Since then, the 2 I have crush. You will have to add extra stab tip material to pass for bel.

Out of curiousity, how long are the two that you have, how long have you had them, and were they collapsible?
Squire to Sir Treethump
Glass
Underling
Underling

Postby randy » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:07 pm

They are not collapsible, Ive had these two for around 3 years now. Both are about 8 foot.
randy
Grunt
Grunt

Postby Solusar » Fri Jul 27, 2012 10:03 am

Richard le Gris wrote:Their "Durafoam" is just the same 2.2# cross-linked polyethylene that is in Kegg fries as near as I can tell from poking at it (they just shave off the corners with a bandsaw). That being said, it is pretty neat and I like it slightly more than I like 2# minicell. They are both very good foams for what we do, just slightly different in strengths and weaknesses (and both are substantially better over a 4# box or fry). They (WLS) are primarily selling to Amtgarders, so their definition of durable does not necessarily include folks like Forkbeard.

I'm pretty sure their durafom is NOT the same as the 2# poly that Edhellen uses. The durafoam is a little more rigid and blah blah. There's a really sweet write up about various foams on the WS site. Check it out.
Squire Solusar Oma'Ragh McFeelgood, the Usurper
Squire to Sir Rune of Mittlemarch
I fight Dagorhir, but I'm still cool somehow.
Solusar
Hero
Hero

Started Fighting: 01 Sep 2001
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and board, Red, Red +back shield,

Postby Glass » Wed Aug 01, 2012 8:20 pm

evil randy wrote:Dourn from Andor is taking one to chaos, with hopes of a full report when he gets back.

So.. Chaos is over.. anyone heard back from this guy who took one?
Squire to Sir Treethump
Glass
Underling
Underling

Postby dourn » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:01 pm

Sadly the pole didn't make it in time for Chaos. But I can give a little info on the pole. It is a little heavier than my other polearm that's in the 7 foot range but it isn't cumbersome. The stab tip is inadequate as it comes but the foam is solid and it has held up to a little limited use It has a seemingly well made end for a base to place a stab tip on. For Bel you have to assemble and then add some courtesy foam or it won't meet the minimum padded requirements.
The strike is a bit hard but I think it will pass on almost all fields. I like it over all but like I said unfortunately I didn't get to try it on the field at Chaos. I'll post again once it's seen some heavier use.
dourn
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2000
Realm: Andor

Postby Glass » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:16 pm

It'd be great to here this report. Also, if I may, could you give an honest assessment of the kind of hits this pole is taking? Like how hard are you swinging comparatively to average would you say?
Squire to Sir Treethump
Glass
Underling
Underling

Postby Frosty » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:32 am

I will say this I play tested 5 WLS Poilevault cores and have snapped everyone of them inless than an Event. I was also concerned about the strike padding being on the lowest end of the spectrum. Go with a Band Shoppe pole or possibly the new core that Forkbeard has found, youd have to ask him if you want more info about it but I elieve he is still testing it.
Sir Frosty the Fierce

My eyes are more important than your medieval experience.
Frosty
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Feb 2008
Realm: Rhune
Unit: Amyr
Favorite Fighting Styles: Glaive

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:42 am

It's a carbon-fiber core, the same that Burke has. I heard somewhere he forged it using black magic.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby varadin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:28 am

Frosty wrote:I will say this I play tested 5 WLS Poilevault cores and have snapped everyone of them inless than an Event. I was also concerned about the strike padding being on the lowest end of the spectrum. Go with a Band Shoppe pole or possibly the new core that Forkbeard has found, youd have to ask him if you want more info about it but I elieve he is still testing it.

Welp that right there tells me not to waste any time looking into it.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby Glass » Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:58 pm

If only, if only
Squire to Sir Treethump
Glass
Underling
Underling

Postby dourn » Sat Aug 25, 2012 5:09 pm

I have a carbon fiber core I picked up, it's amazing. get one.... unfortunately it cost 70$
dourn
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:50 pm

I can't find any for less the $92!
How/where did you find it?
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Postby dourn » Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:27 pm

I picked up my other core at the local kite store, it's a custom job the guy does for people who make boat rudders for big yachts.. or something.
Anyway I'm bringing out the warlord sports 3 piece tomorrow... sorry it's been so long I've been underwater.
here's some pre-real use stuff. Before when I played with it a little I hadn't really made it Bel legal.
First the tip is woefully inadaquate for stab. It required two layers of yoga (although lots of other foam would do I had some on hand). It's a very solid tip. No way you can feel core just pretty stiff foam in there.
Second when u initially put the segments together there is a lot of rattle. i put some tape strips inside between the connectors to make it move less as I'm sure that rattle will destroy the core. Then I had to courtesy pad the **** out of the whole middle segment. (Amt courtesy rules are a good deal less courteous.) that in mind I will say that I would not ahve passed this weapons tip on an amt field as it was it was really ffing stiff.
Finally If u are considering this weapon remember you are going to have to assemble it in the field as it were and then add courtesy over the top connector. This wasn't really hard but is kind of a hastle. It feels pretty good. i'm gonna take it out to Andor tomorrow and see if I can break it or anyone else. If u really want a good light core for a pole and 70 is your price range send me a PM and I'll see if I can get one too u from my local store.
dourn
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Glass » Sat Sep 01, 2012 9:27 pm

It'll be great to see hear how it works. Keep us informed.
Squire to Sir Treethump
Glass
Underling
Underling

Postby dourn » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Uhh sorry this is so long in posting. I've been underwater again.
So I finally got the pole onto the field today for some real use.
First of all every part of the foam except the pommel needed work to make it legal. The strike was insufficient for a real red strike so I had to add foam. I think I already mentioned the courtesy padding issue.
All that in mind the pole did ok. it's a bit on the heavy side for it's length which is more like eight rather than seven feet. It has a fair amount of flex but it isn't overly bad.
With a first day of medium use I'd say, our field was kinda light and didn't support a lot of heavy pole work today I see no signs of damage or breakdown of the core.

I will continue to use and post as often as I can. I plan to ask everyone in the realm who well "hits hard" to take a crack at it but the first report is that the core is solid. That being said everything else about it's construction left something to be desired. If you want this to bring to events it will probably work but it requires a lot of work to make Bel legal, or really amt legal, it hit really hard without added padding. So as a pre-constructed weapon I would not rate it high but the collapsible core I am so far giving my approval, i'll try to get more work on it by next week.
dourn
Recruit
Recruit

Postby dourn » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:31 am

So this pole has held up under random weekend use for the last few months but now I want to put it to the real test. I will be bringing it to BFTR, if anyone wants to check it out and you will be there please let me know. I will be specifically asking some of the well.... heavy hitters to take it out and see if they can snap it in half.
:)
dourn
Recruit
Recruit

Postby varadin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 am

dourn wrote:So this pole has held up under random weekend use for the last few months but now I want to put it to the real test. I will be bringing it to BFTR, if anyone wants to check it out and you will be there please let me know. I will be specifically asking some of the well.... heavy hitters to take it out and see if they can snap it in half.
:)

Dibs, in coming from ohio. Not really able to bring a polearm.
varadin
Veteran
Veteran

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2001
Realm: Pentwyvern
Unit: EBF

Postby dourn » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:28 pm

So a few things. One Nash broke this pole with barely any effort by putting his foot on it. Two it was a constant hassle to get it to pass while taking it apart since one of the joints goes directly through where you have put courtesy padding on it. Also it just wasn't that convenient to put take to events. I would not buy again.
dourn
Recruit
Recruit

Postby Sir Thurat » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:36 pm

Thanks for the update, Dourn. Under exactly what circumstances did the pole break, and how did it break (e.g. where it broke, and the manner of the break)? From your experience, do you think that a collapsible pole would still be viable with stronger materials?
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Return to Foam Smithing