Question about Foam

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Question about Foam

Postby Argent » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:08 pm

So I just receive my 2lb 1/2 inch cross linked polyethylene foam from foambymail.com and to me it feels like the gray fatigue foam that I get from Harbor Freight that I use as my first layer on my swords. This is my first time ordering foam online instead of going to the store and buying it, so I'm feeling I may have order the wrong poundage. I honestly don't know a lot about the different poundages and what foam is what poundage. I followed the link that was put on the wiki.

what ever help or advice would be appreciated, thank you
14th Knight of Old Castle
War Council Rep for Tir Asleen

Don't start nothing, won't be nothin
Argent
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 06 Oct 2008
Realm: Tir Asleen
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield
Pronouns: He/Him or They / Them

Re: Question about Foam

Postby Brutus » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:46 am

There are a lot of different types of XLPE (cross-linked polyethylene). Most places will send you a sample for free or cheap, and I highly recommend going that route before you invest a lot of money so you can at least get your hands on it. Some types of XLPE, even if you get the correct poundage, will "pop" when you squeeze it between thumb and forefinger, and these aren't very good for striking surface padding.

2 pound is generally good for striking surfaces (if you go much denser, the weapon will tend to hit too hard, and will be extra heavy as well). 4 pound is a good option if you want to build a "box" around your core that will make your weapon more durable (but will also make the weapon considerably heavier), but you will need about 3/4" of 2# on top of that, depending on what type of core you use and how thick the box is.
Brutus
Only .3% Short Of Perfect
Only .3% Short Of Perfect

Started Fighting: 0- 8-1999
Realm: Riverbend
Unit: Henneth-Annun

Postby Argent » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:56 am

Ya i generally use the gray foam from harbor freight as my box and then us 2 layers of blue Wal-mart foam as my striking surface.

I checked the foam and it doesnt pop when i squeeze it. Idk if it's just me but it just feels a little stiffer compared to the blue foam i generally use. this is what i ordered: http://www.foambymail.com/MC2-/cross-li ... m-2lb.html
14th Knight of Old Castle
War Council Rep for Tir Asleen

Don't start nothing, won't be nothin
Argent
Barbarian
Barbarian

Started Fighting: 06 Oct 2008
Realm: Tir Asleen
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield
Pronouns: He/Him or They / Them

Postby Alric » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:02 pm

That foam works. They used to call it minicel (a brand name). It feels firm, but it's not as stiff as the harbor freight foam (which is about 4lb density, and almost twice as firm as this stuff). It will give you a sword that feels a little stiffer than blue foam or volara, but which hits fine.
Alric
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 13 Oct 2005
Realm: Angaron
Unit: Drentha
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Shield, Archery, Javelin

Return to Foam Smithing