Greatsword crossguard fitting

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Greatsword crossguard fitting

Postby Oisin » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:44 pm

So, I'm making a new two handed sword.  Half inch square fiberglass core, and I want a very sturdy solid crossguard.

The way I have devised to do this is with a sort of pipe tee to anchor more of the same material as the core sticking out sideways, which will of course be padded.

Problem is, I have absolutely no idea where to find such a thing.

Something vaguely similar in design to this:

Except hopefully "T" shaped rather than "cross" shaped so I can butt it straight up against the blade without any of it included inside the blade foam.  Also, made of steel not plastic for durability.

Anyone know if such a thing exists in a size that would fit 1/2" square fiberglass rod, what it's called, and where I can get it?

And . . . in before the naysayers, yes, everything will be padded safely.
Oisín Leathshúileach ua Duibhne
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

An Fhírinne in aghaidh an tSaoil--Truth against the world.
Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Re: Greatsword crossguard fitting

Postby Sleeper » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:32 pm

Best, most cost effective way to do a crossguard, (IMHO) is to just do them up completely with foam and gorilla duct tape. Namely because it won't "solidify" the sword and cause it to break down quicker (including the crossguard) and it won't be as dangerous or heavy. With just gorilla duct tape (enough of it, with key points reinforced) it will be able to flex slightly, which helps with it lasting longer. I made several wide cross guards but I would use gorilla glue and they'd always snap. My most recent one hasn't had any damage. Infact, it lasted longer than the blade it was put on. Best thing about it, its not terribly heavy. (it also won't skewer anybody if someone lands on it).
BladeStorm Guard and Executioner
Lord of the Greatsword
Sleeper
Brute
Brute

Realm: Dur D
Unit: BladeStorm
Favorite Fighting Styles: Greatsword, nothing else.

Postby Oisin » Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:25 am

Yeah I'll pass on that thanks.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Glass » Sat Aug 11, 2012 1:38 am

Sleeper wrote:Best, most cost effective way to do a crossguard, (IMHO) is to just do them up completely with foam and gorilla duct tape. Namely because it won't "solidify" the sword and cause it to break down quicker (including the crossguard) and it won't be as dangerous or heavy. With just gorilla duct tape (enough of it, with key points reinforced) it will be able to flex slightly, which helps with it lasting longer. I made several wide cross guards but I would use gorilla glue and they'd always snap. My most recent one hasn't had any damage. Infact, it lasted longer than the blade it was put on. Best thing about it, its not terribly heavy. (it also won't skewer anybody if someone lands on it).

This is pretty solid advice, you should at least be thankful for the input. Do it your own way sure, but at least listen to other's advice. Having something solid like you (OP) are suggesting for a crossguard, will make it break much faster.
Squire to Sir Treethump
Glass
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 01 Jan 2009
Realm: Numenor

Postby Triton » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:10 am

You might want to consider using leather as the base for your cross guard for all the aforementioned reasons. Not only will it last longer, but you can probably customize the shape even more.
I thought this one was an awesome example:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=37679
Triton
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2012
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Glaive

Postby Celtic Christ » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:35 am

I haven't tried a mount like that but to find something like it I'd say to roam your hardware stores and see if they can direct you to something close. The only place I think I've seen adapters like what you're describing is in the build-it-yourself type furniture kits. I've had wonderful luck so far with a leather variation I made of of Slieglatan's design. It's forked forward to look like a claymore with wide (about 1 1/2") leather across the core and thinner trimmed bits (about 1/2") for the crossguard core. It lets it flex back so that it won't entangle, still stops other weapons close to the core, and still has the aesthetic design I was hoping for.
Celtic Christ
Underling
Underling

Started Fighting: 0- 4-2007
Realm: Shannara
Favorite Fighting Styles: Spear

Postby Oisin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:12 am

Yay larp physics . . . no, it's not going to weaken the sword, if done correctly (ie, without drilling the core).

I ended up going with leather though, as I couldn't find exactly what I wanted and couldn't be * enough to weld one up.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Postby Forkbeard » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:25 am

Leather cored crossguards seem to hold up well. I have one made with 2 1/8" thick pieces of ABS plastic as a core, formed around the weapon core when hot and riveted together. I then secured it to the core with fiberglass strapping tape. I used 4# eva foam and cloth tape to finish it. I passes and worked very well.
Blocks alot of sloppy forearm shots.
FB
Warlord of the Western Uruk-Hai

Don't call it a comeback
I been here for years
Rockin my peers and puttin suckas in fear
Forkbeard
Grizzled Veteran
Grizzled Veteran

Started Fighting: 15 Jun 2000
Realm: Aquilonia
Unit: Western Uruk Hai
Favorite Fighting Styles: Just the Tip

Postby Oisin » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:35 am

Yup, that's exactly what I've done. Except I also put gorilla glue in and haven't put the foam on yet but definitely going with 4# EVA for stiffness. Still has some give, though, which I was hoping to get rid of. It'd be nice to have a guard as solid as as real sword, though.
Ard Laech
Fíanna Cú Ruadh

Oisin
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Return to Foam Smithing