Red Sword Foam 'n Core Question

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Red Sword Foam 'n Core Question

Postby Croc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:27 pm

Bandshoppe Pole vs. Fiberglass - Blue vs. Fry

Friday night debate, y'all! So I've been beginning to collect materials for a new red sword and I'm kinda stumped on whether I should use a bandshoppe pole or a 11/16" fiberglass rod. I've just been foam smithing for about 3 years now and I'd like a bit more advice from the more experienced before I begin my project.

Also, my knowledge on the foams for striking surfaces and boxes are limited to blue camp pad (getting sick of it) and fry foam (both for striking surfaces, obviously), and puzzle mats for boxes. The only problems are that I have a lot of blue camp, not much fry, and no puzzle mat foam at all. If blue foam is sufficient, I'll just use that. But if fry foam is a better choice please convince me because chances are you know more about Bel-construction than I. If there's better foam to box with, please let me know.

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks!

-Croc
Last edited by Croc on Sat Sep 08, 2012 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Croc
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 25 Dec 2009
Realm: Yggdrasil
Unit: Old Aember
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat 'n Board
Red
Archery

Re: Red Sword Foam 'n Core Question

Postby Caleidah » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:41 pm

The difference in choice of core has to do with the length of your weapon. If you are making a 5-6' sword, 11/16 is going to be a beautiful core, and Bandshoppe might hit too hard. Generally, 6' is the line that most people draw for the switch to Bandpole. If you are going for a min-length red, 1/2" round could work. 1/2" square is solid money for minreds through five footers.

I will let one of the various foam-wizards that browse this board field the other topic, as I know considerably less about it.
Knight of Grond
Palatine of the Sons of Sylas
"But in life, the young king becomes a tyrant, and leads his people to war."
Caleidah
Boo Radley

Started Fighting: 03 Jan 2009
Realm: Grond
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: Boot and Bottle

Postby Croc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:56 pm

Alright perfect. I'll take your word on the core question since I see your posts a lot on the site. I don't want to make a sword taller than me (5'8) so I'll go with fiberglass 11/16". Thanks a lot, man. Any idea on what the best kind of box foam'd be? Or should that go to the wizards?
Croc
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 25 Dec 2009
Realm: Yggdrasil
Unit: Old Aember
Favorite Fighting Styles: Bat 'n Board
Red
Archery

Postby Mint » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:55 am

Ideally, 4# EVA foam (the stuff used in the puzzle mats) would be the best thing here for the box. In regards to blue vs. fry, I've seen people shave off the routed layer and adhere the rest of it over a 4# box, so there's an option if you have a fry big enough. Other than that, 3 or so layers of blue would do just fine over the 4# box.

If you can't find (or afford) puzzle mats, try using a double-box of military ISO mat, found often in surplus shops.

Barley also sells pre-routed 4# boxes, even in 11/16 size. You may wish to shoot him a PM on these boards if you're interested in one o' those.

Hope that helped, best of buildin' to ya!
Jeckyllmint Q. Stoutbrew
Sand Plains Quartermaster & War Council Rep.
Initiate of the Sons of Sylas

Slagar wrote:MinTech: Feel the freshness, *.
Mint
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: shame stick

Postby Sir Guts » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:36 am

For a min red, 4# box and 3 layers of 2# cross poly will build a beautiful weapon that will last a good deal assuming you glue everything right.

Typically I've been using barley boxes which are pre-routed for the core I'm using. If you are using a pre-routed 4# box, i suggest getting some 2x4's and a few clamps to hold the box layer on to the core with even pressure while the glue dries. Typically this is what i do for all layers as it seems to give a much nicer result all around for me.

Blue foam over 4# box isn't terible, but if your going to build a better sword, use better materials the whole way. Otherwise if you want something quick and cheap, Use 1/2" for a 4' min red, and a normal Forged foam blade fry on it. This has and does pass, but as the foam breaks down you'll probably be needing to blade it once a season.
Guts, sometimes Gutz
Sir Guts
Brute
Brute

Location: a box inside a box that is next to another box on top of a third box
Realm: Nightfort
Unit: Brotherhood Of The Falcon
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gross Burger and Dagger

Return to Foam Smithing