Sword tips trouble

Making Weapons and Shields

Moderator: Belegarth: Forum Moderators

Sword tips trouble

Postby Sph6x3 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:25 pm

All right so after a bit of use, the tip of my blades keeps breaking! it gets anoying to fix it after a while, i'm hoping there is a solution to this or something (just the foam tip breaks, not the core)
Grand Master of Elendir
Wielder of "Crimson Terror"
Sph6x3
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 24 Jun 2012
Realm: Elendir
Unit: Realm Master
Favorite Fighting Styles: Gladiator
Sword and Shield.
Claymore

Re: Sword tips trouble

Postby Mint » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:41 pm

Could you post a picture? Knowing exactly how they fail out will help us help you.
Jeckyllmint Q. Stoutbrew
Sand Plains Quartermaster & War Council Rep.
Initiate of the Sons of Sylas

Slagar wrote:MinTech: Feel the freshness, *.
Mint
Monkey
Monkey

Started Fighting: 0- 9-2010
Realm: Sand Plains
Unit: Sons of Sylas
Favorite Fighting Styles: shame stick

Postby Sir Thurat » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:56 pm

If the tip blowout that you're experiencing is from the core punching through the side, you can help prevent this by A) working on the range at which you fight, and reducing the amount of striking you are doing with the tip, B) practicing blade control so as to reduce flatting with your blade, and C) reinforcing the tip of the weapon with thin leather, pieces of foam, or something similar. The leather reinforcement, which is what I use on my own weapons, involves cutting out a teardrop shaped piece of leather that will fit approximately 3/4" from the outside of the weapon edge (approx. 1 1/2 blade layers, if using 1/2" blades, such as with blue foam), and extending down roughly six inches. These leather tear drops can be DAPed to the flat of the weapon, and will result in strong tip support. This can create other stress points, but I haven't experienced any such adverse consequences while using this method.

Put stress on points A) and B). Good weapons do nothing if paired with poor technique.
Realm of Carthage War Council Representative
Knight of Oldcastle
Realm Map Curator
Master Seneschal
Sir Thurat
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 02 Apr 2006
Realm: Carthage
Unit: Clan of the Hydra

Postby Magpie Saegar » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:24 pm

I've had this trouble too, with all blue foam weapons. I've just started using 4lb foam for the box of the sword, and I'm pretty confident that this will help avoid the problem in the future.
Magpie of Rhun/Denuvald - A stranger in a strange land.
Dream Blog.
Magpie Saegar
Skull Crusher
Skull Crusher

Started Fighting: 16 Sep 2004
Realm: Denuvald
Unit: Ex - Clan of the Hydra

Postby Triton » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:10 pm

Another thing to consider with all the other good advice is your use of tape. If you followed the tutorial you might have a strip of athletic tape on either side of the blade holding down the stabbing tip. The actual science has been explained on the forums before, something to do with surface tension, but you either need to run tape all the way down the blade or have none at all(people's opinions on this vary greatly, but I think that using a very thin layer of packing tape will make your sword last longer without affecting how it hits). My first sword tore right were the strapping tape ended near the tip, basically how you described. Good luck!

ps
If you are still having problems for whatever reason, or you just fight with the tip a lot(personally don't see an issue with that), you could always try making a bat which tend to have sturdier tips.
Triton
Recruit
Recruit

Started Fighting: 0- 0-2012
Favorite Fighting Styles: Sword and Board, Glaive

Postby jester kaiu » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Put a biscuit on the tip of the core first off. When making the sword from scratch: put your initial two foam lengths on as normal with dap (the striking side strips) and have your flat side strips already measured and cut out. Dap up everything as usual but put a very fine line of Sumo glue on the core that is showing. Since everything is already Dapd you wont need to wait for the Sumo to dry to complete the weapon. Youll still have to wait the day or so to let it dry before using it though.

Also, cores usually wont just rupture out of the sword. They tend to tear away from the inside foam first. Make sure there isnt tip twisting... basic weapons check... if there is and you want to try and fix it from there with out scrapping the whole thing, take a razor down the flat side of the to where you can feel the twisting stop. Put a few lines of Guerrilla glue down the core. NOTE: IF THERE IS ANY FOAM THAT IS TORN APART INSIDE, DO NOT DO THIS! Dap the foam seam that you cut to get in. Once that dries together smear a light amount down the same seam and let it dry. Put foam/leather side flaps on the tip and tape them down.
Sir Kaiu the Twisted Sun
War-chief of Jester's Court
jester kaiu
Toadie
Toadie

Started Fighting: 07 Aug 2006
Realm: Dunharrow-dekalb
Unit: Jesters Court
Favorite Fighting Styles: Random chance swings, alot of 'em

Postby Remdawg Killionaire » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:13 pm

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 6953_n.jpg
ala Dexter Woodbrey
Obviously wait a full 24 hours to let all DAP and PlastiDip cure or the two will cancel each other out and then you will cry.
Bishop wrote:Overall I believe the article was positive for our image, loosely defining us as a sadomasochist anti-larp. I'm ok with that. http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/LARP-harder

Caleidah wrote:But, his sensei passed that style down to him! Literal hours of tradition!
Remdawg Killionaire
Forum Gordon Ramsay

Started Fighting: 20 Apr 2006
Realm: Pyke and O.G. Babylonian
Unit: Catalyst
Favorite Fighting Styles: Acerbic wit and sassy one-liners

Return to Foam Smithing